First LOB - Red Sea March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llyamah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I have to take some annual leave in March and I am thinking about going to the Red Sea (BDE). However, I'm a bit overwhelmed with options and not sure if it's the right time of year. We have around 60-80 logged dives each.

We are thinking of going on the JP Marine or the MY Blue.

Would this be a good option for my first LOB diving? Any better recommendations?

I was there a couple of years ago in March on the Red Sea Aggressor and was cold all week in a 5mm wet suit(4 dives daily, as I recall). No oceanic white tips or other big sharks to be seen. If I ever go back it will be later in the season.

I just went in December with Blue O Two and the water was cold but I was fine in a 7mm. If you're okay with cold water I say just go. It was only my second liveaboard and I have about the same number of dives as you. There were even less experienced divers on my boat so you should be fine. We didn't see too many sharks but it was still amazing diving. Blue O Two is also having 50% right now so that's even more reason to go!

Hi all

I have to take some annual leave in March and I am thinking about going to the Red Sea (BDE). However, I'm a bit overwhelmed with options and not sure if it's the right time of year. We have around 60-80 logged dives each.

Would this be a good option for my first LOB diving? Any better recommendations?

Two nice boats. Enjoy !

Was there in March a few years ago. Great diving, not the best time of year so you will likely not see much in the way of big stuff but otherwise worth going. The only down side is temperature. I took a tropical weight dry suit and was perfectly comfortable, but most were diving 5 mil suits and were cold. Not cold water diving cold, like my local waters, but four dives a day in not warm water cold.

Tortue-Egypte-corrigee0.jpg

I diced with Blue-O-Two in June (3 years ago) in Brothers Islands and Elphinstone. Water temperature was around 26-27 and was really OK with 5 mm wetsuit. I was also very happy with LOB provider: good boat, good food, good guides. However, be careful as Blue-O-Two went into administration half a year ago and now other company is operating under this company's name. Services might not be the same quality as couple years ago.

We saw many white tip sharks, nice corals. One day we were really lucky - we dived with dolphins. If you like big animals it is a right place to dive. I prefer smaller fishes and was a bit disappointed that quantity of fishes was much smaller than I expected. 50-80 dives is jot so much... also, depends what is your experience in strong currents and during which period of time you accumulated this dives. If you had 80 dives during the last 1-2 years you should be ok, however, if you accumulated these 80 dives during last 10 years and did not dive during current year, then LOB in Red Sea might be really challenging.

We have space aboard All Star Scuba Scene!

March is peak season for northern Red Sea itineraries, so we'll be doing most of our diving around the Sinai Peninsula. We'll dive spots like the Thistlegorm, Shark and Yolanda Reef, the Barge, the Strait of Tiran, Abu Nuhas, etc.

Check out the following trips:
March 21 - North and Brothers
March 28 - North and Tiran

Here's a blog post on our website about the North and Tiran itinerary.

Hi all

Would this be a good option for my first LOB diving? Any better recommendations

Back
Top Bottom