Need advice for a LOB week in the Red Sea this year.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackdog017

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there,

This year we were planning to go to Bonaire in August, but the situation with the SCTLD made us rethink the strategy and opt for the Red Sea for this time.

This is going to be our third time diving in the Red Sea: We did the North reefs and wrecks plus BDE with the Emperor Elite in 2018. Good 2 weeks diving, but the boat was in pretty poor condition at the time. I think it was refurbished since…

Then in 2019 we dived the North and Deep South with the brand spanking new Blue Force 3. Excellent 2 weeks diving again and really enjoyed Zhabargad, Rocky and Claudio. But they have moved the BF3 to the Maldives now.

This year we have already booked one week in August with the Dune Alia to dive at St John’s. We chose them because we had a very good experience with the Dune Aurora in Komodo last year.

I’m looking at options to add another week on a different boat (previous week in the Alia is a family/snorkel thing, and following week is not confirmed).

We don’t want to do BDE again, not big fans of spending 20 mins in the blue at 25m just waiting for the sharks to show up.

Currently thinking of diving Fury Shoals and St. John’s on the Sea Serpent. The cruise we have confirmed is more focused on St. John's.

What do you people think ? Would it be too repetitive to add another week diving Fury Shoals and St. John’s ? We'd like to do Zhabargad again, but the boat going there that week is the JP Marine and I don’t think we want to deal with them.

Opinions/suggestions ?

Thanks for the support.

This month will be our fourth time in Egypt. Our typical trip is one week on a liveaboard and one week on the shore. I don't think I could go for back to back safaris, particularly in the same area. We like the northwest area that includes the Thistlegorm, Ras Mohammed, and the Abu Nuhas area. After doing the Tiran Island twice, we would rather concentrate on the other side of the Red Sea. For us, Dahab and the Blue Hole is a must. This year we are going a little bit before the safari liveaboard to dive Sharm some.

We are suppose to go to Bonaire in December, but with the SCTD, I am not sure how that will turn out.

Dahab has some good dive sites, the Blue Hole by itself us probably not the best of them- perhaps a matter of personal taste. If possible, I'd add some excursions to Gabr El Bint south of Dahab or Ras Mamlach and R. Abu Galum to the north. If time allows, I think Nabeq nature reserve is also a nice, different experience.

There is an itinerary called North and Brothers I did last year. It is a very good combination of a bit of everything, I highly recommend. Departure from Hurghada, avoiding the transfer to Port Gharib.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom