Red Sea Liveaboard in August for inexperienced diver: BDE or north+brothers, or St. Johns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yakitrak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello lovely people, this forum is immensely helpful, but I can do with some specific advise!
Facts: AOW (2019) + Nitrox. Total dives: 32
I am planning a 1 week liveaboard in August 2023. This will be my second liveaboard, having done 1 week in the Maldives in Aug 2022 (best week ever!). I did that with Emperor.
Honestly speaking, I am still not 100% confident of my buoyancy skills. I read the St. Johns has the best reefs, but not sure if my experience will allow me to enjoy that. Any advise?
That probably leaves me with BDE, or north+brothers as the itineraries I could consider. I am interested in relaxed diving, watching corals, schooling fishes, and the occasional turtle or pelagic. My aim is also to improve my buoyancy and treading techniques.
Which itinerary would you recommend? I will travel solo, and rent all gear except mask+dive-computer.

Thanks in advance!

North has a lot of emphasis on wrecks. When we were last there (July?) it was noticably rougher and with more current in some of the northern sights. With BDE the main challenge is there is "blue water" diving looking for sharks. This can be a buoyancy issue, but there is usually plenty of time to get control of things.

With your experience you should be fine on the St Johns route or North Wrecks & Reefs. For BDE I think you normally need a minimum of 50 dives, and buoyancy skills need to be good. I would say St John’s would be the best option for the things you want to see.

I would strongly recommend the Southern route. Definitely the best route for beginner or newer divers compared to the other 2 options.

Thanks all for your tips. I will look for south+St. Johns. Any Liveaboard operator you would particularly recommend?

Thanks all for your tips. I will look for south+St. Johns. Any Liveaboard operator you would particularly recommend?
I have only been with Aggressor Adventures and can recommend them. I am sure you will find less expensive options, but the crew and boat were both excellent.

If you were happy with Emperor before I would suggest going using them again. You should get an additional discount as a repeat customer.

Back
Top Bottom