first experience with skill circuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anybody have a printed list of the steps for each skill online? I'd love to take a look at them. We didn't get a chance to write them down while doing our skills circuit and the instructor just has his steps in his head.

The problem with a printed list is that you won't "own" it so to speak. There are many variations that are acceptable. I thought one of the best things of my IDC was seeing how different people ran their circuit and combining where I thought they had better ideas than my own. For instance you may get a printed list that shows doing hover in the traditional Buddah configuration, and also has the instructor sculling and then shaking his finger in the "no" sign. However, you may want to demonstrate the hover in a horizontal position, and you may also agree with some that demonstrating what not to do in a skill is not a good teaching technique. You should have plenty of chances to practice skills during and IDC the point of which is to get the circuit into your "muscle memory" in a way that makes sense to you and you can continue to use when you are an instructor.

My .02 psi.
Jeff

I understand not "owning" a list. A printed skeleton of steps in each skill would be helpful, though. Some sort of skeleton that can be customized to make it more personal.

I understand not "owning" a list. A printed skeleton of steps in each skill would be helpful, though. Some sort of skeleton that can be customized to make it more personal.

It would'v been very helpful for me. I have seen a number of instructors demonstrate the skills now to students. Although there are minor variations by different instructors at times, the skills all seem to have the same basic steps. Ie.- You can put your right arm here or there when doing the fin pivot, but the process of going up & down and reasons why remain the same. For the reg. retrieval most instructors here teach that after you get the hose on your right arm to run your left hand up the right arm to snag the hose--this due to us all wearing thick wetsuits or drysuits--makes it easier to snag it since you may not feel it like you would if you had bare arms. Perhaps this is not taught in warmer areas. But it doesn't change the basic way to do the skill. Instructors could always add little things to the "skeleton" list you seek.

I understand your request and it's a really common one when people are first going through this. However, the process of thinking through how to build a good demonstration quality skill is a big part of the DM education imho. It's going back into your own education and remembering what was tricky or unclear for you. It's thinking completely through the skill, putting yourself into an observer role and trying to view yourself as a first-timer to the skill and what would be the most helpful to you to have exaggerated or slowed down. What is second nature to you but might be really hard to see for a student you're showing it to (i.e., which button you're pressing on the inflator, that you're breathing out of your nose, etc.) And then, if you do in fact become a DM, it's actually assisting and refining your demo as you do them and realizing what works and what seems to be hindering the students instead of helping them. It's having your demonstration seem 100% in control and flawless -- the more you can make your demos approachable and confident, the easier time a student will have with the skill. For example, a CD posted in the first few replies to this thread that after you remove your mask you would indicate you are still breathing. Why? Because that skill, of the 24 or whatever we're imparting to OW students, is probably where you are going to have someone flip out. So taking a few seconds there with a mask in your hand just relaxing in front of them and indicating a few nice slow breaths sends a very important message, i.e., "Look, nothing to worry about!"

When I was a DMC I spent a lot of time wanting the same thing and pissed PADI didn't have a good video for me to watch and emulate -- so I went to YouTube and found some dive center in Utila's videos. They looked pretty sharp, and I liked the way the guy would hold up a finger to indicate the step ... i.e., one finger for "first," drawing a finger in a line across the mask to indicate it was full, yada yada yada. Got 5's on almost all of my skills, most of which I copied from those videos. Then during my first practical application where I was working with a OW class and pool I was asked to demonstrate something and started doing the "first," "second" bit and the finger indicating how full my mask was with water, and watched in horror as 6 students proceeded to do the same thing with one hand while trying to complete the skill with the other hand. As with all things in life, the KISS principle applies with skill demos =)

A printed list is a great idea as a starting point. Perhaps try this:

Mentally breaking down the skills into each individual segment that makes up the whole. Write that up. Present it to your CD at your next session for some feedback. Correct as necessary. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Remember the key is to do it SLOWLY with EMPHASIS, but all the while making it look smooth. Demoing a skill looking like its a real job that you really don't want to do will earn you lower marks. More importantly, it will make a negative impression on students.

FWIW,

One thing that helped me a lot was one of the instructors at the shop telling us: You are NOT showing you can do the skills. If you couldn't do the skills you wouldn't be here. What you are doing is theatre. You are putting on a show for the students, Be slow, emphasize the critical attributes, and make it look smooth and easy. When you practice, don't practice the skills; instead practice demonstrating the skills. If you have that mind set and are comfortable in the water with no mask and no regulator and do a little bit of work outside of class it is really no big deal (I was just a few 4s away from acing it and I think I could have had I bothered to practice the skills involving the surface- who needs to practice equipment assembly or deep water entry after 400 dives? - Well, I guess I did).

At least now, with PADI, the instructor is supposed to demonstrate all of the skills then let the DMC practice. What I have seen so far is that the DMC just need to slow down and don't combine steps. If in doubt, slow down some more. If you go slow enough, the exaggerated movements kind of take care of themselves.

At least now, with PADI, the instructor is supposed to demonstrate all of the skills then let the DMC practice. What I have seen so far is that the DMC just need to slow down and don't combine steps. If in doubt, slow down some more. If you go slow enough, the exaggerated movements kind of take care of themselves.

I'm puzzled by your comment "At least now, with PADI, the instructor is supposed to demonstrate all of the skills then let the DMC practice". It's always been that way as long as I've been an Instructor. How else are they supposed to learn?

Don't eat the whole enchilada. What I mean, is give importance to what's important. During DMC and IDC training, people become obsessed with a lot of things. This is the nature of the beast (*at least with PADI) it's all about passing the IE. The Course Director will emphasize what is needed to pass the IE. Try during your DM and later on parts of the IDC, to not forget that it's also about real teaching, real diving, real learning. If you think I sound harsh, it's because PADI is not only aimed at the lowest common denominator (discussed elsewhere on this boards frequently) only for Basic Open Water. The IDC just reflects that on a "higher scale".

If you find a good Course Director, it will be one that is still in touch with DIVING. And not one only in touch with running IDCs. And trust me, it's not that easy. To become a CD in the first place, you need to drink a lot of PADI kool aid. And to be quite honest, it's tough to not drink it and achieve that rating. So take everything with a grain of salt. Learn the stuff, do the stuff, but use your own brain also. There is a strong "learn by repetition" (of bad things in many occasions) agenda in the way DM and IDCs are run. It's instruction inbreeding (with all the bad mutations and deformities that inbreeding brings). Many people come out of an IDC believing that what their Course Director or staff member (taught by that CD probably) is the one and only truth. There is usually little time during the IDC to make any deviations from the strict must-see to pass the IE curricula.

There is so much more to diving and teaching and standards than what most CDs want everyone to see. They have a business and they will milk it to the end. It's not about making good instructors. It's about passing the IE and cashing in both them and PADI.

Good luck, and think outside of the box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom