first experience with skill circuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had my first experience with the skill circuit today and all I can say is wow, can I have my dive training-wheels back? There were 4 of us in the water with the course director, and 2 of us were getting out first taste of demoing skills instead of just doing them. We weren't being graded but did get feedback on what to pay attention to and suggestions on how to practice them. For the moment, it feels kind of weird to take a fluid skill and break it back down to add in exaggeration and "focus on this" explanations. I guess I'll just have to look at the skill itself and demoing the skill as 2 separate skills.

Any advice is welcome. For the next couple of weeks, I think I'll be running through it in my head and going through the motions any time I can't practice it in water.

It's all about repetition ! At the moment you are thinking a lot, later things will become second nature and therefore more 'fluid'. Pick one skill for know and run it through in your head, breaking it into the little steps, talk yourself through it and that's what you need to show underwater...

For example, mask remove and replace:
1. Flood the mask by breaking seal at top
2. Show it's full.
3. With one hand on front and one on strap remove the mask
4. Show that you are still breathing
5. Show that you are holding onto the mask
6. Feel for nose pocket
7. Mask to face, then strap back in place
8. Show putting pressure on top of frame
9. Breathe in
10. Breathe out from nose whilst looking up
11. Show it's empty

This is kind of a running commentary of the skill that many find useful to get into their heads before demonstrating. It's also useful to talk this sequence through underwater as you demonstrate (either internal dialogue, or out loud...). Watching videos of demos is a good idea too...

Hope that helps...

A lot of these skills can be done dry for parctice. I spend a lot of hours sitting on my living room floor removing and replacing my mask, recovering my regulator and the like. It helps you get the routine down and I had list of steps with me so I could makes sure I was not missing a step.

A lot of these skills can be done dry for parctice. I spend a lot of hours sitting on my living room floor removing and replacing my mask, recovering my regulator and the like. It helps you get the routine down and I had list of steps with me so I could makes sure I was not missing a step.

Great advice. I review them all on land once a week. Some require a buddy, and I don't have a regular one. When I did the course the videos (at PADI and Youtube I think) weren't available and I'm sure these are a help. However, instructors tend to do little things differently, so it is best to know exactly how your instructor wants them done (nothing so differently as to violate standards, but little things). In addition, although the OW manual is quite good with illustrations and written instructions on how to DO them, the (old?) DM manuel I have is not. It describes the mask flooding and that's about it (you'd think how to demo the skills would be a big section in the book as it is the "meat & potatoes" of assisting with a class). So, it makes it difficult. For me, the first time we were shown how to demonstrate them presented a problem. We were given good feedback, but for someone with a rotten memory, remembering everything the instructor said after doing 10-20 skills in one session was daunting. Found myself jotting down tips once I was back in my car. Eventually with all the jottings and practise I did fine.

The first time I did mask clear for DM the instructor commented that I did it so fast he didn't even see it. As experinced divers some of the things are 2nd nature for us.

Couple things I did

Write out the step by step for each skill, made me think about it a bit more.

Did lots of dry practice, was a passanger in a car one day and going over them and the driver thought I was having a seizure.

I got out an old bc and an old out of service Reg and used them for my dry practice.

Watch the DM video and there are others online too that may give you a little different view

Learn the acronyms BWRAF (buddy check), SORTED (5 point decent), STALK, (ascent), and other ones that may help you not miss steps.

Good luck!!

And as everyone always says go as slow and deliberate as you can, then slow it down more.

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I do have access to a video the course director and a couple of the shop's other instructors made showing demos and listing the critical attributes and common student mistakes, as well as a printed list of the attributes and mistakes, so I have quick reference for what they're expecting to see in my demos.

Endurodog, what's the K in STALK for? The instructors here use STELAR, which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

STALK = Signal, time, arms, look and kick

I use STELLA, with the two 'Ls' coming at the same time to make one step:

Signal
Time
Extend arms
Look and Listen
Ascend

There are other variations too, such as STARS etc... All are fine, but I work in Asia and the majority of my students have English as a second language, and it seems the word 'stalk' doesn't help so much here, as it's not a common word. But I quite like it myself...

STILS: Signal, Time, Inflator up, Look up, Swim up.

The guys covered it, and theirs is good, what ever ones help you remember. By the way BWRAF the way I remember it is Big Women Really Are Fun. Good luck with everything!!!

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I do have access to a video the course director and a couple of the shop's other instructors made showing demos and listing the critical attributes and common student mistakes, as well as a printed list of the attributes and mistakes, so I have quick reference for what they're expecting to see in my demos.

Endurodog, what's the K in STALK for? The instructors here use STELAR, which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

Yeah exactly- a printed list. I even have diagrams drawn out for OOA and buddy breathing (not that I'd forget them now). But hey, if there's no classes for 6 months due to winter, it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom