First Drysuit Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lean to the negative side in just a swim suit, my buddy dives 104's in a drysuit with no lead.

JeffG:
Not that big of a deal. With my double 130's with a drysuit, in salt water I need no weight belt.

You would start the dive at least negative 16 lbs. I wouldn't want all that gas in my drysuit.

I know that most folks that dive doubles do not need to wear a weight belt.

-16 lbs is alot of extra weight..... nasty.

FIXXERVI6:
I lean to the negative side in just a swim suit, my buddy dives 104's in a drysuit with no lead.

I'm bouyant .... 104's? Ouch. I'd hate to have to walk far with that crap on. Just strap me to a crane. :D

Well, this weekend I'm trying out DUI's trilam suit and see how I like that.

The Faber 100 I have is -9 empty so I won't have to wear too much weight. I'll play with it in the pool to get my fresh water weight right.

Anyone know about how much weight I should add for cold salt water?

Harry Wong
www.docwong.com

Canadian_Diver:
-16 lbs is alot of extra weight..... nasty.
Its not "extra" weight. It is what is required if you were properly weighted.

MissyP:
I've got 14 dives in my drysuit now... Not once have I used my BC for buoyancy, except on the surface. Seems like too much trouble to have to deal with venting the BC & the suit upon ascent- much, much easier with just the suit....
When I did the pool session, the instructor hammered it into my head "BC on the surface ONLY... once your head goes underwater, don't touch that BC again.. Use the suit for all buoyancy control". At first, I was like "yeah whatever... I'll use both", but I decided to try it her way (using the suit only for buoyancy)... and it just feels natural now...

I agree and was taught the same way, SSI, however I would like to know if you use a shell type suit. It seems to me that those divers that use neoprene dry suits use both suit and BC to control flight. I use a shell, a White Nexus, and I find much easier to use that suit.

JeffG:
Its not "extra" weight. It is what is required if you were properly weighted.

I realize that. A poor choice in words on my part.

Canadian_Diver:
Personally, I use my DS for bouyancy and leave my BC dead empty.

I used to use the other method before I finally got my DS fitted correctly, got thermals that don't trap air, and found my proper weighting.

If I understand Canadian right I think we are on the same wavelength.

I am realatively new to DS diving having about 20 or so dry dives in. I'm diving a shell suit. I have reduced my lead to a point where I add enough air to offset the squeeze. That is about all the air I need to remain nuetral. If I'm weighted properly, and add air to avoid a squeeze, there should be little or no need for more air in the BC, correct? Any additional boyancy requirement would indicate overweighting. The obvious exception would be the weight needed to compensate for the change in tank boyancy.

Just my thoughts.

Dive1Dennis:
If I understand Canadian right I think we are on the same wavelength.

I am realatively new to DS diving having about 20 or so dry dives in. I'm diving a shell suit. I have reduced my lead to a point where I add enough air to offset the squeeze. That is about all the air I need to remain nuetral. If I'm weighted properly, and add air to avoid a squeeze, there should be little or no need for more air in the BC, correct? Any additional boyancy requirement would indicate overweighting. The obvious exception would be the weight needed to compensate for the change in tank boyancy.

Just my thoughts.

Dennis, thank you! Yes. My weighting is to the point where if I add just enough air in my DS to get rid of the squeeze, I am also neutrally bouyant. I too dive a shell suit.

I currently have 2 x 3lbs in my trim pockets (6lbs total), and 2 x 6lbs and 2 x7lbs on my weight belt. My thermals are thin, trap no air, but keep me very warm. That puts me at a total of 32lbs in freshwater. I'm a big bouyant boy. :D

Canadian_Diver:
Dennis, thank you! Yes. My weighting is to the point where if I add just enough air in my DS to get rid of the squeeze, I am also neutrally bouyant. I too dive a shell suit.

I currently have 2 x 3lbs in my trim pockets (6lbs total), and 2 x 6lbs and 2 x7lbs on my weight belt. My thermals are thin, trap no air, but keep me very warm. That puts me at a total of 32lbs in freshwater. I'm a big bouyant boy. :D

OK, apparently I'm not quite as bouyant as you :) I'm at 8lb. in BC, 8 on the belt, 4 on the ankles. That is 20 lb. but I am also wearing a 30 ft pony that weaighs in at -5lb with the reg. so may total is 25 lb. I was going to try trimming back a little more but I believe I am at about the minimum for warmth and squeeze. I'm using Weezle extreme undies, they were recommended by a dive buddy and are great. They loft up to fill out the air space in the suit and yet compress down into a very tight space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom