First Drysuit Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive1Dennis:
Generally, the vis is best when the temp is cold.

As soon as you get through the thermocline in Lake Erie, opens up to 40-50 feet viz lately :)

Dive1Dennis:
Canadian, where are you typically diving with the temps noted in your post? Is that Superior?

I don't live anywhere near Lake Superior, it's about a 7 hour drive from here to Thunder Bay, Ontario. The temps I recorded 2 weeks ago on Superior are - 46F@67' and 46F@74'.

I normally dive West Hawk Lake in Manitoba, right near the Ontario/Manitoba Border. My last recorded temps for that lake were on 07/23 ... 44F@72' ... a bit warmer than the usual 38-39F temps. We've been having some VERY hot weather lately. Just starting to cool down a little now.

Lil' Irish Temper:
As soon as you get through the thermocline in Lake Erie, opens up to 40-50 feet viz lately :)
Temper, we often get a similar phenomenon here, especially this time of year. We often have a dirty layer of water, and below that it opens up. Last weekend it was at about 90 - 100ft. I would guess that we commonly get 50' below the dirty water, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Canadian_Diver:
I don't live anywhere near Lake Superior, it's about a 7 hour drive from here to Thunder Bay, Ontario. The temps I recorded 2 weeks ago on Superior are - 46F@67' and 46F@74'.

I normally dive West Hawk Lake in Manitoba, right near the Ontario/Manitoba Border. My last recorded temps for that lake were on 07/23 ... 44F@72' ... a bit warmer than the usual 38-39F temps. We've been having some VERY hot weather lately. Just starting to cool down a little now.

No wonder you never dove wet, you must like winter too :eek_2: Do you get to the Great Lakes very often? They say cold water was invented here, but, my guess is that you might have beat us to it :D .

Dive1Dennis:
No wonder you never dove wet, you must like winter too :eek_2: Do you get to the Great Lakes very often? They say cold water was invented here, but, my guess is that you might have beat us to it :D .

:D

Oh no, I dive wet, just not in this country. :crafty:

West Hawk Lake is said to be one of the deepest / coldest freshwater lakes in Canada. It was created by a meteor strike and is more than 365' deep. Lots of neat history surrounding it.

Back
Top Bottom