First Drysuit Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogboy:
Who else remembers the "good old days", when drysuit divers never wore a BC? Your drysuit was your BC! Of course, this was long before compressed/crushed neoprene, and shell suits were so new that, anyone who used one was "sure to drown" if a leak occured. We were diving in the equivelant of a modern day survival suit, a little water down the back was no big thing. Nowdays, use your BC for neutral bouyancy, use your drysuit for neutral bouyancy, whatever works! :D
Nevermind that - who here remembers the "good really old days" when there weren't drysuit divers? Or BCD divers? Horsecollars with CO2 cartridges and unlined neoprene were what real divers wore and why the heck were the new-fangled rigs referred to as "single hose" when they have all those hoses and doo-dads and...and you could tell when real divers were in the water by the piles of stashed ballast on the slope down.

I don't know where PADI came up with the idea to use the suit for bouyancy control but I suspect that, whatever the reason might be, it's lost in the misty shrouds of history. Sort of like my horsecollar is lost in the basement. Nowadays, the tide has turned and sooner or later PADI will catch up, they most always do. Using both your suit and your BCD does add to the task loading, which is not a good thing. The trade off is that with a little bit of practice, using both provides substantially better control and helps prevent the all-too-common inversion problem and runaway ascent problem - improving safety. Besides, all the grooviest divers use both. :crafty:

MissyP:
I've got 14 dives in my drysuit now... Not once have I used my BC for buoyancy, except on the surface. Seems like too much trouble to have to deal with venting the BC & the suit upon ascent- much, much easier with just the suit....
When I did the pool session, the instructor hammered it into my head "BC on the surface ONLY... once your head goes underwater, don't touch that BC again.. Use the suit for all buoyancy control". At first, I was like "yeah whatever... I'll use both", but I decided to try it her way (using the suit only for buoyancy)... and it just feels natural now...

I had no idea this was still taught (errr... hammered)- who knew?

My suit gets a couple of sprays on the way down, and unless I hit a serious thermocline, I never really touch it again.

My BC gets deflated in the way down, and unless I completely misjudge the amount I let out at the begining of the dive, I rarely touch it again. Diving the waterheater helps, I guess. I dunno. Just seems to me you have more control managing a little bitty bubble o' gas (BC Wing) than you do managing a big ol (in my case!) bubble o' gas (Dry suit.)

BTW - if PADI's reason (I'm not PADI, so this was news to me) for using the suit and not the BC is "task loading", they got to shake themselves. Most of us manage more task loading than that everyday:

* Dialing a cell phone while driving is more task loading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS. If you use your Blackberry while driving you may be the master of task management, but you should be shot.

* Eating a burrito while driving probably isn't, but eating a taco and driving surely is more task loading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS.

* Singing and playing the drums is a lot more taskloading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS.

* Reading one of Sea Jay's posts and not falling asleep is more task loading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS.

* drinking a diet coke and not gagging is more taskloading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS.

* Walking and chewing gum is more task loading than using a BC for buoyancy when diving a DS.

Task loading is not the issue. Clearly something else is driving their thinking.

---
Ken

I was definitely overweighted in my swimming pool!

But for my dive in Monastery, I was weighted perfectly. I had on 12 pounds in my weight pockets (the Faber high pressure steel tank was -8 empty) and at 15 feet, tank with 500 lbs of pressure left, I was neutral with the air out of my BC and drysuit empty. On this dive, I tried adding more air for buoyancy and could feel my legs bloat with air, inverting me.

So I'm staying with using my BC for buoyancy and my dry suit with a minimum of air as that's more workable.

I'm really looking forward to getting my own drysuit and dialing that in!

SSI's book also advocates not using your BC for buoyancy control. Hm...go figure.

Although this was my first dive in a drysuit, I had no problems with multi-tasking the air control of my drysuit and BC. Perhaps with a newer driver this could be a problem.

I've gotten a LOT of feedback on this issue and most divers are using the BC for buoyancy compensation and putting just enough air into their dry suits to handle the suit squeeze.

I'm still going to ensure my weighting is just right and play around with using the drysuit for buoyancy. A bit more air does keep you warmer, so perhaps that's a benefit worth working for. At under 50 degrees, it definitely is here in the Monterey Bay.

I'll do more drills in the pool, like simulating a tuck inflator valve, uncontrolled ascent and a dropped weight belt drill.

Thanks for the input!

Harry Wong
www.docwong.com

There's no right or wrong way to get neutrally bouyant, just so long as you use the DS or the BC .... NOT BOTH.

If you're going to use your DS for bouyancy, you'll need to practice an emergency purge roll. This is where you bring yourself into a fetal position so you can rotate your body into an upright position, then drive your legs and purge arm straight out to drive the air out of your suit.

We practice in 12-15 feet of water. You should be able to confidently perform the emergency purge roll at this depth without breaking the surface. I would recommend getting personal instruction to go along with your text book.

Personally, I use my DS for bouyancy and leave my BC dead empty.

I used to use the other method before I finally got my DS fitted correctly, got thermals that don't trap air, and found my proper weighting.

TeddyDiver:
Congratulations!
Well, I think you should readjust your weighting. You didn't say how much lead did you carry, but the fact you got the "buble" when using your DS for boyancy control already at 8' indicates you have way too much. Go back to pool, take half of the lead away, empty your BC and extra air from DC and make boyancy test. If needed take them one by on in your pocket to find proper weighting.

I agree w/ Teddydiver that it sounds like you were way over weighted & that, that caused th majority if not all of your issues. When you inflate your suit, & you have to put so much in it make you go feet 1st, definately a weighting issue. If however you put some air in to aleviate squeeze & it goes right to your feet, sounds like a trim issue.

I am a firm believer that whatever works best for you is the way you should go. But I would like to point out that while PADI teaches you to use your drysuit for bouyancy in recreational diving, in the there technical diving courses they encourage you to use your BCD.

I use both, BC for bouancy and I keep the same amount of squeeze in my suit at every depth so for me its not really that much task loading, use my BC as I always do but also chicken wing my arm on ascent, or press a button on my chest when I feel squeeze on descent, I couldn't imagine using a drysuit for bouancy, especially with double 108's, I'd feel like the giant puff guy on ghost busters.

If I'm not mistaken really the real purpose for adding air is to keep your undergarments fluffy to trap heat to counter the squeeze, part of the reason dry suits are warmer than wet, compression of thermal protection is a non issue, so if you keep the same amount of squeeze in there and use your BC for a BC, its not that much more of a task load, you don't have to "dial in" your drysuit.

FIXXERVI6:
I use both, BC for bouancy and I keep the same amount of squeeze in my suit at every depth so for me its not really that much task loading, use my BC as I always do but also chicken wing my arm on ascent, or press a button on my chest when I feel squeeze on descent, I couldn't imagine using a drysuit for bouancy, especially with double 108's, I'd feel like the giant puff guy on ghost busters.

If I'm not mistaken really the real purpose for adding air is to keep your undergarments fluffy to trap heat to counter the squeeze, part of the reason dry suits are warmer than wet, compression of thermal protection is a non issue, so if you keep the same amount of squeeze in there and use your BC for a BC, its not that much more of a task load, you don't have to "dial in" your drysuit.

:06:

Each to their own I guess. If you're properly weighted, even with double 108's, it shouldn't take so much air that you end up like the Stay Puff Marshmellow guy from GhostBusters... unless you're severely overweighted with other equipment.

In pictures taken of me underwater in my drysuit, it appears that my suit hugs me. I'm set up in such a way that I hardly have to add any air to get neutral to begin with.

I do agree with the 'real' purpose of adding air to your drysuit though. It is to keep your thermals from compressing and add a thin layer of air that your body can heat.

I wear no lead with my doubles, can light, some reels backup mask backup lights and thats about it, this is fresh water btw.

I always figured that if for some reason I had to disconnect my power inflator to my BC I could use my drysuit to dial in the bouancy if I had to.

FIXXERVI6:
I wear no lead with my doubles, can light, some reels backup mask backup lights and thats about it, this is fresh water btw.

I always figured that if for some reason I had to disconnect my power inflator to my BC I could use my drysuit to dial in the bouancy if I had to.

Fixxer... WOW! I can't believe that you're that negative with no lead. I guess alot of your equipment is negatively bouyant. When you're just swimming in your bathing suit, are you the type that sinks like a rock, or is very naturally bouyant?

Canadian_Diver:
Fixxer... WOW! I can't believe that you're that negative with no lead. I guess alot of your equipment is negatively bouyant. When you're just swimming in your bathing suit, are you the type that sinks like a rock, or is very naturally bouyant?
Not that big of a deal. With my double 130's with a drysuit, in salt water I need no weight belt.

Canadian_Diver:
If you're properly weighted, even with double 108's, it shouldn't take so much air that you end up like the Stay Puff Marshmellow guy from GhostBusters
You would start the dive at least negative 16 lbs. I wouldn't want all that gas in my drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom