first dive with BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
did my first dive today on the new Halcyon Infinity.

to be honest not overly impressed. I like the simplicity of the harness, i didnt notice a difference at all for trim in the water from my Tusa X-wing BCD which is strictly back inflate, and god damn the harness shoulder straps are so uncomfortable compared to my x-wing on land. in the water I felt the shoulder straps were a little more restricting than the xwing but i think they were a little bit too tight. I also like my power deflater on the X wing so i didnt have to lift the inflator to release air.

I wasn't expecting some miracle or anything but given the general consenus that BPW are FAR superior to other BCDs............. I half think that most of the people saying that are people who dove cheap heavily abused $150 bcds in class and went straight to a BPW without a newer nicer jacket or back inflate bcd.

anyways it was dive 1 with it so i cant be too critical either.

Last edited:
LOL... BP/Ws may be nice for the tec crowd, but for the average joe blow fish watcher, meh.

Love a simple back inflate BCD with integrated weights.
Has everything thing you need and nothing you don't in one easy component. Holds your tank, inflates, holds weights, has pockets, and places to clip stuff on.

LOL... BP/Ws may be nice for the tec crowd, but for the average joe blow fish watcher, meh.

Love a simple back inflate BCD with integrated weights.
Has everything thing you need and nothing you don't in one easy component. Holds your tank, inflates, holds weights, has pockets, and places to clip stuff on.

Ohh I do miss my BCD pockets. If it weren’t for weight issues I would be using a standard BCD

haha Im def not trolling or trying to get anyone fired up but well I was just surprised as soooooooo many people recommend them right out of OW for someone who openly says no desire to go tech in the future. and then everyone raves about them and how superior they are. I just dont see the hype in my first experience with it. Ill def. update with some thoughts after another 5-10 dives. Im not the kind of person to "upsell" something just because I bought it and need to justify my purchase, Id rather give others my real opinion so they can make a decision based on accurate info.
Had I tried one first I probably would have saved my $1100. I need to find an electronic chip that I can surgically implant and it sends out a wifi jamming signal when my blood alcohol hits like 0.05 so I stop online drunk ordering stuff!

I’ll be honest with you. I was dead set on buying the Halcyon Infinity once. We got the chance to try it. My husband hated it. I was indifferent. We ended up not buying it. :p

Is BP/W superior than jacket BC? I really can't tell the differences to be honest but I do love its simplicity ie. no frills.
I certainly won't pay stupid money for that. Surely "H" Infinity doesn't cost that much, C$1,100.00, in Canada.
Too much import tax on US produce!!!!!!!

Honestly it sounds like ti's not adjusted correctly. Don't give up on it yet. If you've got any friends that dive them, have them tweak it for you and see if that helps. I can tell you when I finally got my first one dialed in correctly, a lightbulb went off and I finally realized why they were so often recommended.

And if it doesn't work out, oh well, it happens.

Honestly it sounds like ti's not adjusted correctly. Don't give up on it yet. If you've got any friends that dive them, have them tweak it for you and see if that helps. I can tell you when I finally got my first one dialed in correctly, a lightbulb went off and I finally realized why they were so often recommended.

And if it doesn't work out, oh well, it happens.
Im open to any suggestions!
although its got the cinch system so its essentially 1 strap so Im not sure how much adjustment you can get from it pull on the waist straps until the shoulder straps are tight and do up, thats about all.
I do think I had it slightly too tight restricting arms forward movement.

I had the same experience with the Halcyon Eclipse bc. II ended up going back to my old Aqualung Balance. It was much lighter and the I liked the weight pockets much better. I recently purchased a new Scubapro Hydro Pro, and dove it only 2 times so far, but think I am going to like it a lot. Both were much more comfortable to me than the Halcyon and easier to adjust from wetsuit to drysuit. Ended up selling the Halcyon, since I decided I was never going to go to doubles or tech diving.

Were you able to take weight off? If so how much?

Is BP/W superior than jacket BC? I really can't tell the differences to be honest but I do love its simplicity ie. no frills.
I certainly won't pay stupid money for that. Surely "H" Infinity doesn't cost that much, C$1,100.00, in Canada.
Too much import tax on US produce!!!!!!!

Not for US made goods going to Canada - NAFTA. Duty free.

I have the Halcyon Infinity. Love it. But I won it at an underwater pumpkin carving event my LDS has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom