First Dive Impressions - Catalyst 360

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, we had our first dive in our new Whites drysuits.
First let me say that I’ve been a wetsuit diver all of my life and quite comfortable in a 7mm full suit.

The sun was bright, the water flat and the temperature on Catalina Island was warm, over 80° so after getting into my new Custom fitted Catalyst 360 with the MK2 undergarment, I was ready to cool down fast.

The Dive. My initial response to the squeeze I felt on the surface was to wait until after I start to descend. I descended, feet first to 20’ and then added a short shot of air to the suit, the suit responded by gently reliving the pressure. How much? One more shot and the squeeze was fine. I descended to 40’, psst, more comfort but I’m still descending. A shot of air into my wing – perfect, trim flat and hovering at 42’. The water was a cool 57° but all I noticed was that I was not cold or too warn, it was just right.

Now lets see what this drysuit diving is all about. After dumping the air in my BC, I pumped more air into the suit. I could feel the air bubble moving around in the suit. No real improvement in the general feeling of squeeze but I started to loose control of my trim. I rolled my left shoulder up and after a short gurgle and my trim retuned, assent stopped and the squeeze was noticeable again. Puff – puff, all is fine! I tried this in several positions, head up, head down, rolled left and right. The results were the same – fine, I understand how this suit works.

Now lets see if I can make the neck seal leak, Look up, look down, hard left and hard right, only a slight trickle came when looking up. No real issue, I just stopped looking up that hard. Wrist seal were fine, no leaks at all.

General kicking, the drag difference between the wet and dry suit was noticeable but not significant. All in all, I’m still warm, dry and feeling good about the suit.

Lessons learned:
After suiting up, I was sweating like crazy. This will get better with practice and some talc or other lubricant to aid in slipping into the seals.
I was a little surprised how much my flexibility was affected. How much is due the newness of the suit? We will see.
The booties and Altera boots turned out to be too big for my fin pockets, so I had to pull the suit off again and remove the booties and put on my Thorlo socks, suit up and pull on my wetsuit boots. Try on booties, fins, socks and other combinations at home.

Overall, the suit was great, warm and easy to operate. I just hope the flexibility gets better real soon!

Leaving the dive park, low tide, another diver sitting on the entry step but with my trusty flip fins and no video camera, no problem!

See only the Red X? Right click and select show picture.
1stdrysuitdive.JPG

Great Report...

Thanks for sharing...

Phil

One more thing, DO NOT drink copious amounts of coffee before suiting up!

One more thing, I may have to add P-valve and some dry gloves. My wife will try out her new Fusion in two weeks. I hopes she like it.

Dry gloves are awesome... I dove mine for the first time 2 weeks ago and I am never going back to wet gloves....

Phil

That sounds awesome Teamcasa! I'm glad to hear you had a good take-off with your new drysuit. How much were you affected by flexibility though? I've been diving my 5mm semi-dry with an extra 5mm vest. When it gets real chilly I add a 5mm shorty over everything to keep up with the cold and boy then I :crying:about flexibility too. It's one of the major reasons we're going dry. I am hoping the ds will alleviate this to some extent.

I’m assured the flexibility will improve as the suit breaks in. However, I’m told the new Fusion suit has tremendous flexibility right out of the box. My lovely bride says she did not even notice any flexibility difference over her 7mm.

That sounds awesome Teamcasa! I'm glad to hear you had a good take-off with your new drysuit. How much were you affected by flexibility though? I've been diving my 5mm semi-dry with an extra 5mm vest. When it gets real chilly I add a 5mm shorty over everything to keep up with the cold and boy then I :crying:about flexibility too. It's one of the major reasons we're going dry. I am hoping the ds will alleviate this to some extent.

A lot of that has to do with which drysuit you have. I've only done a handful of dives on other suits, but the White's Fusion is amazing for flexibility. I'm honestly more flexible in it, than I am in my 4/5mm wetsuit.

Well I guess time will tell my tale!:D

As for flexibility, I've found that if you don't stretch at the beginning of the dive, you may not be able to during the dive. The wrinkles in the material squeeze together as you start descending, taking up any slack you would have had.

That being the case, I generally suit up, then do a "sumo squat" to get the legs reasonably arranged. Then, since mine is a telescoping torso front entry suit, I do the "Picard maneuver" and tug at the "hem" to get the top settled. Just before I descend, I reach both arms up and over (as if trying to touch my backbone as far down as possible). Together, those three seem to be about all I need to prevent unnecessary loss of flexibility on a drysuit dive.

Back
Top Bottom