First Dive Computer!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd snap up one of the Hollis DGO3's if I wasn't looking to get a Petrel or another Predator to back up the Predator I have now. Plus I have a Veo 200 that was my first computer that I just put a new battery in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

How is the best way to go about understanding algorithms?
There are a number of excellent algorithms available.

One of the " proven " ones is the ZH-L8 ADT used by all Uwatec/Scubapro/SubGear computers.

The XP-10 was the Scubapro Prime by Uwatec.

Here's a link to the XP-10
www.subgear.com/en-US/USA/computers--instruments/xp-10.aspx

XP10
New all round diving computer designed for divers who appreciate detailed, yet easily accessible information. XP10 is truly a complete dive computer for all levels of adventure. It displays all important dive and decompression data plus full dive data memory.

• Nitrox settings between 21% and 50% in 1% increments
  • Full watch functions
  • Basic choice of adjustments without the need of a PC
  • Adjustable ppO2 between 1.0 and 1.6bar
  • Back light, visual and audible alarms
  • Timer for Safety Stops
  • Data can be transmitted via infrared interface (IrDA) with Dive.Log software to a Windows® PC
  • Available in wrist or 3-gauge console

It received Sport Diver's editor's choice.

I would get something simple and inexpensive; for recreational diving most computers more-or-less do the same thing. If you're getting locked out by ANY computer in recreational diving, you're probably not managing your profiles in an ideal way. Learning a bit about the mathematical models and how they relate to basic decompression theory can be VERY useful information. It might change your dive behavior in a positive way and could make you a better DM. There's good information in the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving, interestingly enough.

I do think customer service is important with computers, because they do seem to have more problems that require warranty service than most other dive gear. I've had excellent experiences with aeris. I bought an atmos 1, it got stolen, I bought an atmos 2, it worked well for several years then started going through batteries very quickly, I sent it back, for a nominal fee (it was long out of warranty) they replaced the whole thing. So I can recommend aeris/oceanic customer service highly.

I'd be a bit tempted by the suunto gekko, although I think that's an older model and they've replaced it by now. It's a nice simple computer.

I would avoid air integration. To me it does nothing-zero- to improve your dive quality experience and just adds cost and reliability issues. But lots of divers like them, so there you have it.

I do think customer service is important with computers, because they do seem to have more problems that require warranty service than most other dive gear. I've had excellent experiences with aeris. I bought an atmos 1, it got stolen, I bought an atmos 2, it worked well for several years then started going through batteries very quickly, I sent it back, for a nominal fee (it was long out of warranty) they replaced the whole thing. So I can recommend aeris/oceanic customer service highly.

I would avoid air integration. To me it does nothing-zero- to improve your dive quality experience and just adds cost and reliability issues. But lots of divers like them, so there you have it.

I can second good customer service for Oceanic, would imagine that's true for all products manufactured by American Underwater Products (Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis).

I love my AI Oceanic VT3, there you have it. No reliability issues in 2 1/2 years, 250 dives so far. I do dive a backup Geo2 and SPG, but that's just me, I'd hate to miss even a single dive, ever.

Right now, the XP-10 is an exceptional value to Scubaboarders - less than the Hollis DGO3!

It is a very user friendly dive computer - Easy to use.

I can second good customer service for Oceanic, would imagine that's true for all products manufactured by American Underwater Products (Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis).

I love my AI Oceanic VT3, there you have it. No reliability issues in 2 1/2 years, 250 dives so far. I do dive a backup Geo2 and SPG, but that's just me, I'd hate to miss even a single dive, ever.

So you use an AI computer, an additional computer, and a SPG?

My back up is my watch, the PADI wheel, and a buddy. I hate to miss dives too.

How is the best way to go about understanding algorithms? I've been reading a lot about dive computers lately, but the algorithms and still over my head.

Read Deco for Divers by Mark Powell. Yes, it is more for technical divers, but he does an excellent job at talking about dive theory and physiology in a way anyone can understand. Truly the best dive book for any and all divers, especially those who are professionals.

How is the best way to go about understanding algorithms?

Step one is ignoring the INCESSANT SALES PITCH of a dive gear salesman in response to a very pertinent question.

Step two is to start reading about the concepts of multiple 'tissue compartments' and 'fast vs slow' compartments. There's a pretty good explanation in the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving, then you can expand your reading.

Here's a thumbnail sketch of the concept. Human physiology is such that the most accurate way of predicting the body's reaction to breathing compressed gas while diving at various depths involves the formation of theoretical-not actual- 'tissue compartments.' Each of these compartments is thought to both absorb and release dissolved N2 at different rates. It's important to understand that while the whole concept is based on our bodies, it's not like each 'compartment' represents an actual part of the body. The compartments are really just mathematical models. The different algorithms assign somewhat different time limits for each compartment, and some are based on a higher number of compartments, and some add in other factors. But what's in common is that depending on how you dive, one or more of these compartments will eventually load up with N2 to the point at which you can not surface safely. That's when your NDL is zero and you must do decompression stops. How you get to that point, and how quickly you can off-gas enough to surface safely, is somewhat dependent on the particular mathematical model.

One very useful bit of information you'll acquire when you start to study this stuff (and I'm hardly an expert) is that within recreational limits, it's thought that a 10 minute shallow stop, like 10-15 feet, is particularly efficient at removing excess N2 from our tissues. Part of the reason for this is that in recreational diving, it's the 'faster' compartments that often load up first, and those are also the fastest to off-gas, meaning N2 is depleted from them quickly AND they can tolerate higher pressure gradients, which means shallower stops.

Okay, how this has affected my diving is simple; I do long stops on every dive, particularly any dive where I'm pushing NDL at any point. I know that if in fact I do have enough N2 to risk DCS if I surfaced, the long stop is going to be very helpful in off-gassing. I've found that I experience way less fatigue after several dives if I do this. Besides, what's the hurry? I'd rather be hanging at 10 feet watching the underwater world go by than on the boat anyway.

---------- Post added January 21st, 2013 at 12:43 PM ----------

I generally dive solo. We chose our own level of back up, I've not had to use mine to date

Good diving, Craig

Fair enough! I wasn't trying to rib you about using the back ups.

Fair enough! I wasn't trying to rib you about using the back ups.

Didn't think you were. Since I'm by myself, also have a slung pony with an SPG on a short hose. I haven't had to use that either, so far, but I'm ready.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom