First Dive Computer!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are most computers Metric and Imperial/are you able to switch them? Or are they one or the other?
I believe you are able to switch most dive computers from metric to imperial.

I am pos. about the Scubapro/Subgear/ Uwatec computers being very easy to make the switch.

I am looking to purchase my first dive computer in the next couple of months. I want it specifically as I am planning to start my Dive Master training in the summer. I had the Suunto d4i in my mind, probably from all the fancy adverts, but then I visited a local dive shop and was told it was a terrible computer. I was told that if you do anymore than 1-2 dives per day, it puts you into deco and will lock itself for 24 hours. He said he has some divemasters using it right now and they end up just leaving it on the boat due to this. They had the Aeris Manta and Tusa IQ 900 Zen in the shop. I've been researching various dive computers, but it's just so hard to say! I find negative reviews everywhere. So I was wondering if anyone would recommend or not recommend any computers in particular? I'm looking for something that has all the information I would need as a Dive Master, and something that isn't going to crap out or screw up my diving!! Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)

Suunto computers have amongst the most conservative of no decompression algorithms. It may be difficult DMing with an extremely conservative computer when many of your customers have more liberal computers. I'm partial (biased) toward Oceanic computers running the Pelagic DSAT algorithm. My primary computer is an AI VT3 and I have a Geo2 backup with an SPG. The Pelagic DSAT algorithm is consideralbly more liberal but not extreme, that would be my Cochran.

......Are most computers Metric and Imperial/are you able to switch them? .....
Yes, they are.

Regarding wireless AI, I have been diving with a wireless AI dive computer(s) for several years now and I never had a problem.

Whatever dive computer you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Best Regards,

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Here is my opinion. First, you need to figure out what your budget is and understand what algorithm you prefer. As a DM, you should have a decent understanding of the different algorithms out there.
I love Sunnto. I am the only diver in my group who dives a Suunto and have NEVER once had an issue with getting short changed on NDL compared to my buddies Oceanic or Tusa DCs. My air consumption is as such they are more limited on air than NDL, even on deeper 120-130 dives. I think the D4i or D6i is the perfect DC for a DM because its a watch and gives you all your info on your wrist, including how much gas you have. This is a great positive when you are helping/ watching OW students or other divers. Also, DMs and instructors usually dive more than the "average" diver so having a more conservative DC is beneficial. I gave done 7 dives in a day with a suunto and had no issues with DCI or NDL. Those dives started at 130ft in the am and ended with 50ft night dives.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A decent looking watch-style air-integrated option would be the Oceanic Atom 3.0. Not sure how well ease of use compares vs. the Suunto.

Richard.

ITS NOT A BIG DEAL all major computers will more than fit the bil theres a lot of brands with a small amount of makers they all work american dive products makes fine computers under many names oceanic hollis aeris sherwood ect. they are in san leandro ca. price is right good service you can use your computer safely with good diving practice and not get locked out

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

Get the one your dive shop likes more help and service and DIVE MASTER WORK

Here is my opinion. First, you need to figure out what your budget is and understand what algorithm you prefer. As a DM, you should have a decent understanding of the different algorithms out there.

How is the best way to go about understanding algorithms? I've been reading a lot about dive computers lately, but the algorithms and still over my head. This uni student does not enjoy mathematics!!

Also, does anyone have any major input on the Hollis DG03? I can't deny, it's a really good price right now. I've been reading up on all the computers recommended, trying to make pros and cons before I jump into anything!!

Also, does anyone have any major input on the Hollis DG03? I can't deny, it's a really good price right now. I've been reading up on all the computers recommended, trying to make pros and cons before I jump into anything!!

My wife and I own the DG03...the menu system takes some getting use to. I would not call it user friendly until a good review of the user manual.

We found it a little hard to read and the alarms quite muted when wearing a hood. We are in our forties though :wink:

Has the option to do a deep stop or not and adjust your recreational safety stop depth.
3 gas function up to 99% nitrox.
Can get an optional transmitter.
Being a Tec/Rec computer, it won't lock out at anytime I understand.

We have only about 18 dives with them...so not a huge sampling of it's capability.

I plan to take some Tec courses in a few years...this computer will grow with that, though does not do helium.

We did invest in some Shearwater petrels. So the DG03 will be the back up computer/bottom time now.

It is on sale right now because rumor has it that it will be discontinued soon.

I've recently come back from a diving holiday in Egypt.
On the boats I was on, most of the Guides/Divemasters/Instructors were using Suunto computers, some of them coming on for 20 years old.
I myself have a Suunto computer that is still serviceable that I got (second hand) in the early '90s

If you are concerned about conservatism, you can turn down the algorithm from 100% to 50% on some models.

I am the only diver in my group who dives a Suunto and have NEVER once had an issue with getting short changed on NDL compared to my buddies Oceanic or Tusa DCs. My air consumption is as such they are more limited on air than NDL, even on deeper 120-130 dives.

The difference in NDLs between the various alrgorithms is small, only a few minutes, near recreational limits, where the NDLs are short. There are much greater differences between the algorithms at more moderate depths and with repetitive dives.

In general, you can look up the 1st dive NDLs for the various algorithms for air and standard nitrox mixes in the back of the owners manuals, which are available off the manufacturer's websites as downloads. Information on repetitive dives is harder to come by. Scuba Diving Magazine has published some interesting graphs on NDLs for repetitive dives comparing various computers and illustrating differences between conservative, middle of the road, and liberal algorithms. You could probably find these on their website. For the interested reader, I would suggest Mark Powell's Deco for Divers from Aquapress.

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 10:05 AM ----------

How is the best way to go about understanding algorithms? I've been reading a lot about dive computers lately, but the algorithms and still over my head. This uni student does not enjoy mathematics!!

Hi Alexx007,

American Underwater Products manufactures Hollis, Ocenanic and Aeris. The Hollis DG03, the discontinued Oceanic VT3, and the Aeris Elite T3 are similar computers. The Oceanic and Aeris run the Pelagic DSAT algorithm while the Hollis runs Pelagic Z+ (Buhlman ZHL-16C). I have about 250 dives on a VT3 in the last 2 1/2 years and like it very much. It's my primary computer with a Geo2 and SPG as backup.

The VT3 was replaced by the VT4.1. This computer has dual algorithm (DSAT and Z+), 4 gases instead of 3, a digital compass, step back menu, and some other things. I'm perfectly happy with my VT3. It's not surprising to me that the Hollis and/or Aeris models would also undergo upgrade at some point, it's a business.

I would imagine the DG03 is a fine computer and at a significant price reduction, might be very tempting

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom