First Coz trip - need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

Planning my first trip to Coz for the end of December. Looking to dive (I'm landing the 21st at 12:30pm) 22-24 and then heading back home on the 25th (5pm flight). I'll be solo and want to get as many dives in as possible before the holidays. Will be diving mornings, but would also like to do afternoon/twighlight as well as some shore dives if possible. I'm AOW and have nitrox cert

1) does any Op guarantee afternoon or twighlight dives?
2) I'd like to stay at an affordable hotel close to the water - any hotel recs that Aldora or TP's can pick me up from with out a problem? I'd rather not have to get in a car to head to the marina...
3) What is the best hotel to stay at if I'd like to get a couple of shore dives in?

Thanks guys!

I don't know if anyone guarantees afternoon dives.
Aldora will pick you up pretty much anyplace south of the port.
The shore diving is meh pretty much anyplace, but most anyplace with an in-house shop will rent you a tank.

(Edit) According to their page, Aldora has daily afternoon one-tankers. They also will do a twilight/night dive on any day, but there is a minimum of four (I think) required. I'm pretty sure it's four,but honestly all I've ever done is say "who wants to do a night dive tonight" while on the boat or at the SI to get one arranged.

I stayed at Casa Mexicana, maybe a 5 minute walk from Tres Pelicano's dive shop, where we gathered and were transported to & from the marina for diving. Trip Report. I didn't rent a car, and had no substantial problems getting to the grocery store (the Mega), restaurants or the dive shop. Suites Bahia is said to be cheaper/more basic. But neither is a shore dive place.

Tres Pelicanos told me afternoon 2-tank trips weren't guaranteed; they required at least 2 booked in advance, or 3 last minute, to go out. That said, 1st week of September, their slow time of year, I did all 6 afternoon trips I booked. At times there were only 2 of us, but there we were. They picked up one diver at Cozumel Palace; I don't know who all they pick up from, but Jeanie with Tres Pelicanos could tell you.

What does being 'close to the water' mean to you? Do you just want to see the ocean pretty often, or are you wanting a sandy beach to lounge on, etc...?

Richard.

3P is the only dive shop I have dived with in CZM, and will dive with them again in November. If they are booked up, I would look next to Christi, owner of Blue XT Sea diving. She is a frequent and helpful poster with very high reviews. My third choice would be Aldora. I like the big tanks, but I know my Hoover abilities will bring up all the other divers with me. (I know 3P will let everyone dive their air, and not have everyone go up together). If you stay at Casa Mexicana (or south of there), then I'm pretty sure all three will pick you up on their way to the docks.

Two visits ago, I stayed north at Hotel B. When I couldn't get a cab, Jeanie from 3P came and picked me up. She is awesome, and she is a good part of the reason why I don't look elsewhere. Now, that being said, Pony, Jorge, and the whole staff is the rest of the story.

Enjoy your visit! (oh..., and I would NOT recommend Hotel B)

I have never been there the week of Christmas but from my understanding it is one of the busiest weeks of the year. You might not be able to be too picky at this point but all three ops mentioned above either will pick you up in town or get you to the marina. If you really want to shore dive you can without staying at one of the hotels on the water.

The Barracuda and diving with Aldora would fit your bill, but I'm not sure about the shore diving there. I have a friend that's done it some time ago. Aldora might pick you up there, but you might have to walk a block or two to their dock downtown. You wouldn't get in a car to get to the boat anyhow. Right on the water. Shore diving there. It depends on what you mean by affordable. It's not what I'd do, but it could work.

If you didn't mind a short car ride and want shore diving, you could stay at Village Tan Kah on the cheaper end, Casa del Mar for $100/night in a balcony room, or the Park Royal or El Cid for somewhere around the CDM price and you'd have shore diving and then TP could pick you up. You'd have a very short car/van ride. Aldora could pick you up there without a car ride. This is closer to what I'd do because the shore diving there is convenient and for a short trip there are enough food options so that I wouldn't need to taxi to town. I'd stay at VTH or CDM or maybe El Cid. The Park Royal is AI. The others aren't or it's optional.

If you're willing to consider other ops and/or have flexibility regarding ease and quality of shore diving, there are many other options.

If it was me, I'd stay at CDM and dive with Deep Blue or Blue XT~Sea. I could stay for less at Village Tan Kah and still get picked up by those ops at their dock, afaik, or I could just dive with Scuba Shack again. It's right across the road and has the same owner as VTH. If I was willing to taxi to shore diving and wanted to spend less than half the CDM rate for a balcony room, I'd stay downtown at the Colonial, Mary Carmen or the Pepita and dive with an op that leaves from downtown or be willing to taxi to the marina. The Pepita and Mary Carmen are on the low end I think, though the Colonial may be less than Mary Carmen. Dandy Don would know. The Pepita appears to be $39/night.
Suites Bahia would be another consideration and would still be less than CDM.

The best answer is going to depend on your budget and flexibilities.

2) I'd like to stay at an affordable hotel close to the water - any hotel recs that Aldora or TP's can pick me up from with out a problem? I'd rather not have to get in a car to head to the marina...
Aldora will pick you up at any of several piers and if you stay downtown, TP will transport you. I guess they worked out an agreement with the taxi union as sometimes they use their own pickup, while other times they pay for the taxi. I'd bet that TP would transport you even if you stayed further south like Casa del Mar.

1) does any Op guarantee afternoon or twighlight dives?
I dived with Salty Endeavors last month and was often the only paying diver on the boat. It's a loss for him, but his current policy is to go with at least one. Great Op, new to Coz so not many reports here. He'll pick you up at any pier.

3) What is the best hotel to stay at if I'd like to get a couple of shore dives in?
Casa del Mar and Villablanca used to have some interesting shore dives, looking for life on the coral heads and old tires.

I like for TP or Salty to take care of my gear for me, just leave it on the boat and expect it to be there when I board the next time, so I don't mess with changing Ops to do shore dives.

Your biggest risk is getting blown out, especially on such a short trip. Or if you don't book early, you may have difficulties finding space.

Special note: Do hire a private DM for the first couple of dives. Money well spent.

Definitely read drrich2's trip report (link posted by him above) and his notes on trip planning research, which I have no idea how to link to here.

I was in Cozumel over Labor Day, stayed at Casa Mexicana, and dove with Blue XT Sea and was happy. I dove for three mornings and totally enjoyed it.

I've been in Coz for Christmas a few times. It is definitely high season and a great time to be there. If I recall correctly, many dive ops and businesses are closed on Christmas Day, so plan for that. We usually just took the day off and chilled.

Dandy Don, while you're here, which is less expensive, Mary Carmen or the Colonial? I poked my head into the MC once and inquired about rates and was surprised that the rate was so high for what I saw. I can't begin to remember what the rate was at that time. This was probably 4 years ago.

Imo, if Salty Endeavors will go out in the afternoons with only one diver, I'd book with them. If you need to sweeten the deal, tell them that Las Palmas, Paradise, and Villa Blanca are OK with you in the afternoons. It will save the boat from going very far south or north of the marina. You can dive VB as a wall or as a 50-60 foot dive.

Dandy Don, while you're here, which is less expensive, Mary Carmen or the Colonial? I poked my head into the MC once and inquired about rates and was surprised that the rate was so high for what I saw. I can't begin to remember what the rate was at that time. This was probably 4 years ago.
Rates will vary with how well the managers think they can sell rooms. For December 21-25 on Hotels.com, Suites Colonial is showing non-refundable rates of $55/night with free full breakfasts at Casa Mexican a few blocks away vs Mary Carmen non-refundable rates of $58/night with light breakfast extra, just upstairs from the front desk. I didn't book breakfast at Mary Carmen's until I arrived and got it for 800 pesos/day. The hotels are across the pedestrian street from each other, very similar, but Mary Carmen has a lovely courtyard which made it much more appealing with roaming turtles who beg for treats. Be careful about hand feeding as they were aggressive when I passed out cantaloupe pieces.

Oh, I think that hot water is more dependable at Colonial, which could be a big plus in December.

Back
Top Bottom