First Coz trip - need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the best hotel to stay at if I'd like to get a couple of shore dives in?
Getting back your desire to shore dive. I really think that you need to be as far south as Blue Angel (which seems to be sold out for your dates), Villablanca, Casa del Mar to find a shore dive worth doing - and that's questionable still. I've done very few shore dives at Cozumel as it's really not a shore diving destination. If you do try some, keep in mind Nodakdive's excellent suggestions, along with the very good one of hiring a private DM for your first couple of boat dives.
"I second the suggestion of a private DM for your first boat trip, especially if your profile dive count is accurate and if you've never been drift diving. Also be aware that if you plan on shore diving, you should probably have a buddy unless you're experienced with solo diving. If you decide to stay at CDM/VTH/PR/ELCID, there's usually someone working on the ground level under Tikila, a little bar right across the street from CDM and a matter of 50 feet north, and for some amount of money which I don't know, they will take you on a guided tour of the shore diving there. I would, at least for my first shore dive, look into that. Tikila would also be an option for shore diving if you decide to stay downtown and are willing to taxi to some shore diving. Additionally, if you're going to shore dive, you'll want/need a dive flag so you're visible to boat traffic. Maybe someone that's done a guided shore dive out of Tikila can give more information."

Dandy Don, while you're here, which is less expensive, Mary Carmen or the Colonial? I poked my head into the MC once and inquired about rates and was surprised that the rate was so high for what I saw.
Rates will vary with how well the managers think they can sell rooms. For December 21-25 on Hotels.com, Suites Colonial is showing non-refundable rates of $55/night with free full breakfasts at Casa Mexican a few blocks away vs Mary Carmen non-refundable rates of $58/night with light breakfast extra, just upstairs from the front desk. I didn't book breakfast at Mary Carmen's until I arrived and got it for 800 pesos/day.
It was interesting as I was leaving my week of $34/nights, they were hanging a banner to cover their usual sign offering rooms in the $40+ range to replace it with one that said $50/night. The sign is tacky, but it's a different culture, and the hotel is very close to the plaza and ferry dock. I see than in the brief time since I posted that Suites Colonial has gone up for those dates to $62 with full breakfasts at Casa Mexicana, while Mary Carmen is currently holding at $58 plus breakfasts. Others in that range for those dates....

Villablanca is $61/night for their cheapest rooms. You might get a breakfast option to add at a low rate on arrival. You can rent tanks & weights from the next door dive shop for shore dives.

Casa del Mar is $68/night for their cheapest, parking lot view, or $88 with balcony overlooking the courtyard. They may offer a breakfast add-on?

Suites Bahai is interestingly up to $115/night with full breakfasts at CM. I think they are close to selling out.

Casa Mexican is $116/night with full breakfasts.

But then, I don't know what you mean by affordable really. You're from New Jersey are used to higher prices than I am, I'd think.

If you decide to stay at CDM, I highly recommend a balcony room if you're diving. You'll want that for drying swimsuits and neoprene. It used to be that if you booked through Delta, you'd get breakfast included. Other booking avenues have included free tickets for the Atlantis Submarine which is right across the street. The sub docks for the night at the CDM pier. Also, if you want unobstructed ocean view, a room on the the 3rd floor facing northwest is the way to go. From the most remote room on that top floor, it's a 50 second walk to the bar/restaurant. They also have an AI option for $42 per day. The food is just fine but the menus are a little sparse. On a short trip, that's no problem, but personally I'd go European and eat there, at Ernesto's and Paprika and repeat whichever of those you wanted for your 4th supper, assuming you're diving 4 tanks per day and eating lunch at a beach club that your dive op drops you at after the 1st two morning tanks.

Planning my first trip to Coz for the end of December. Looking to dive (I'm landing the 21st at 12:30pm) 22-24 and then heading back home on the 25th (5pm flight). I'll be solo and want to get as many dives in as possible before the holidays. Will be diving mornings, but would also like to do afternoon/twighlight as well as some shore dives if possible. I'm AOW and have nitrox cert

1) does any Op guarantee afternoon or twighlight dives?
2) I'd like to stay at an affordable hotel close to the water - any hotel recs that Aldora or TP's can pick me up from with out a problem? I'd rather not have to get in a car to head to the marina...
3) What is the best hotel to stay at if I'd like to get a couple of shore dives in?

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Afternoon dives shouldn't be a problem with most dive operators, during your dates. It is the high season. I know I will be doing afternoon dives with Blue XT Sea during your dates. So, you could join us.

Personally, if you are going to only be diving for 3 days, I wouldn't be messing around with shore dives. Do 2 tank dives in the mornings and afternoons and throw in a night dive or two. You will be happy you did and it will be plenty of diving.

If you decide to forego the shore diving, then I think Suites Colonial is one of the best values on the island. The rooms are right downtown near tons of restaurants and night life and the hotel and rooms are spotless. The AC works flawlessly and is quiet and the beds are super comfortable. Plenty of hot water. And super quiet overall, as it sits back in away from the street. WIFI works well. I will be there again from 12/21-12/30. Can't wait. It is a block and a half walk to the pier where Aldora and Blue XT Sea depart from. I believe there is another operator or two that use that pier also, but can't remember who. So, no need for a car or transport to the marina each day. Buffet breakfast included at sister hotel Casa Mexicana as mentioned by others. Suites Colonial isn't on the water (a block away), so does not fit your criteria as an easily accessible shore dive location. But definitely worth considering if you decide to just go with boat diving. Have a great trip and hope to see you there.

Afternoon dives shouldn't be a problem with most dive operators, during your dates. It is the high season. I know I will be doing afternoon dives with Blue XT Sea during your dates. So, you could join us.

Personally, if you are going to only be diving for 3 days, I wouldn't be messing around with shore dives. Do 2 tank dives in the mornings and afternoons and throw in a night dive or two. You will be happy you did and it will be plenty of diving.

If you decide to forego the shore diving, then I think Suites Colonial is one of the best values on the island. The rooms are right downtown near tons of restaurants and night life and the hotel and rooms are spotless. The AC works flawlessly and is quiet and the beds are super comfortable. Plenty of hot water. And super quiet overall, as it sits back in away from the street. WIFI works well. I will be there again from 12/21-12/30. Can't wait. It is a block and a half walk to the pier where Aldora and Blue XT Sea depart from. I believe there is another operator or two that use that pier also, but can't remember who. So, no need for a car or transport to the marina each day. Buffet breakfast included at sister hotel Casa Mexicana as mentioned by others. Suites Colonial isn't on the water (a block away), so does not fit your criteria as an easily accessible shore dive location. But definitely worth considering if you decide to just go with boat diving. Have a great trip and hope to see you there.

If you can skip the shore diving and can get on with Blue XT Sea on those dates, this is a good plan. If you're mostly wanting a shore location to "get wet" before the boat dives, talk to Blue XT Sea or whichever shops you contact and discuss this. Any of them should be good help. If you are able to confirm 4 tanks per day the 22nd, 23rd and the 24th, that's a pretty full trip.

As others have mentioned on this thread, the sooner you book the better.

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions! Really appreciate all the advice.

in regards to affordability - I guess I shouldn't have put that in there. All the options suggested work with my budget - I was trying to avoid the super expensive places

I was thinking about staying at hotel cozumel, casa del mar, or villablaca - it seems like all three options have shore diving by them

the reason I want shore diving is in the scenario where I am unable to get on an afternoon or twighlight dive, as well as in order to get a nice dive in Friday afternoon (landing 1pm).

Thinking about diving with Aldora, salty encounters or dive paradise.

any thought about diving with Dive Paradise? they have a location right by all three hotels. I figured it would make shore diving easy too...

the reason I want shore diving is in the scenario where I am unable to get on an afternoon or twighlight dive, as well as in order to get a nice dive in Friday afternoon (landing 1pm).
With less than 25 dives, as we all were at our beginnings, it's difficult to appreciate the risks of what you don't know. I thought I was indestructible at your age, too.
> Solo diving is risky.
> Shore diving so close to boat traffic can be.
> And 4 dives a day is really pushing limits.
I hope you have DAN dive insurance. The multilevel diving of Cozumel shouldn't keep so many chambers busy, but it does.

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions! Really appreciate all the advice.

in regards to affordability - I guess I shouldn't have put that in there. All the options suggested work with my budget - I was trying to avoid the super expensive places

I was thinking about staying at hotel cozumel, casa del mar, or villablaca - it seems like all three options have shore diving by them

Thinking about diving with Aldora, salty encounters or dive paradise.

any thought about diving with Dive Paradise? they have a location right by all three hotels. I figured it would make shore diving easy too...

With DP, my understanding is that you'll be on a big boat and have a harder time doing 4 tanks per day. You can upgrade to smaller, faster boats, but I haven't read great things. DP is a very large op, maybe the largest on the island? I haven't been diving with any of those ops, but DP would be my last choice, and there are many others I'd substitute in it's place on your list. I'm sure they do a good job, but great big operations of any kind aren't my cup of tea. I'm more of a boutique op kind of person. I'd substitute Blue XT Sea or other ops that can pick you up on the dock, like Deep Blue. There are others that would pick you up too, but I'm not sure about who.

I still don't really understand how it works and I've never used it, but CDM has kind of a dive concierge. It used to represent 3 shops, now it might be 2, but I think you can dive with Pro Dive or Dive Paradise via the concierge. The only real convenience might be with regard to shore diving as you'd probably get a little preferential treatment by being a CDM dive concierge customer when it comes to shore diving, for instance, the tank and weight rental might be free if you're diving with them, so it would save you $6-$7 per dive.

At CDM, you have access to a dive locker right on the dock. Bring a small paddle lock. I don't know what the other hotels have in that regard. If you intend to shore dive, that can be a big plus. Definitely inquire about that. CDM also doesn't charge a dock fee for being picked up by an outside op, at least not to my knowledge. I suspect the other hotels you mentioned don't either, but I don't know.

An advantage to Hotel Coz is that it isn't a horrible long walk to food options, assuming you don't stay AI. I think you can do limited AI there. If you didn't want shore access, that would be a huge advantage to staying at Casa Mexicana, Colonial, etc. You walk out of the hotel and there are an enormous amount of restaurant offerings. An advantage of Casa del Mar is that there are a few options right there which would keep you busy on a short trip. I'm not sure about the food options very close to VB or HC, but there must be some. Papa Hogs "Hogtown Cafe" used to be known for good burgers.

Be aware that most ops get their tanks filled by an outside company, so it would be wise to make sure wherever you stay, they have an extra tank for you on your arrival afternoon. Talk to the dive ops you contact about that. Aldora, for instance, is a rare shop that fills their own tanks.

If you can get 4 tanks per day in for 3 days, that's a quite a bit of diving. Even if you had time in the day, I suspect you'd skip the shore, and if you do 4 a day by the time you get back to the hotel, if you got off the boat and jumped in the water, you'd likely be doing a twilight/night dive.

So, a good strategy right now would be to contact the ops you've narrowed down, and/or others, and tell them exactly what you're after, including your desire to shore dive and when. They'll be able to help you if they know exactly what you want. If you can get booked for 4 tanks a day for your dive dates, that eliminates your need to hedge your bet with shore diving. Then it's just a matter of shore diving Friday afternoon and the shops you contact can help you figure that out too.

With less than 25 dives, as we all were at our beginnings, it's difficult to appreciate the risks of what you don't know. I thought I was indestructible at your age, too.
> Solo diving is risky.
> Shore diving so close to boat traffic can be.
> And 4 dives a day is really pushing limits.
I hope you have DAN dive insurance. The multilevel diving of Cozumel shouldn't keep so many chambers busy, but it does.

DD makes some good points here, be careful not to go bonkers and get 'bent' or worse....really gotta watch your N2 and O2 loading and get that DAN insurance as well. Reputable dive ops will insist on valid dive insurance coverage, I just got back 2 months ago from Costa Rica live aboard Okeanos Aggressor, they won't even allow anyone to sign up for a trip without providing DAN card # to them first, and they also will refuse boarding to those who forget to bring their DAN card with them for visual inspection, so having valid, widely recognized dive insurance is generally mandatory with reputable dive ops.

Hotel Cozumel and Resort has it all: noon dives, in house dive op (dive paradise), shore dive with the added bonus of a natural pool access that is actually good and interesting (especially in the night) u grab a tank and you're good to go (just be sure to book it, they have many divers!), for the same reason for the boat dives chose the small boat (6 divers max). Other good things: nice place to stay, fair food, fair prices, good position (not in the middle of the town but near enough to be reached by foot in 5 minutes).

Back
Top Bottom