First computer purchase - which shearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheeler925

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new diver, I'm purchasing my very first computer. I'm foreseeing my next certs being AOW, drysuit and nitrox. I doubt I'll be doing any tech diving for several years, if I ever pursue that at all. Which computer should I get? Money isn't the biggest factor for me, but I don't see the point of getting a computer for tech diving, if the technology will improve or change before I ever get that advanced. I'm unsure on watch style or not.. not a big factor for me. I do want air integration. I'm leaning either Peregrine Tx or or Tern Tx. Does the Perdix 2 or Teric have features or other qualities I'd be missing out on, not being a tech diver?

First question in my mind is do you want large format or watch style?

I do tec diving and have both a Perdix 2 and Teric, so let's ignore me for now.

My fiancé has zero interest in tec diving and wanted a watch style, so I got her a Teric. That being said the Tern Tx wasn't available back then, so if I were to do it over again, that's what I would get her now.

However, if you ever have any interest in tec diving (even years down the road), the extra money upfront for the Teric over the Tern would be worth it (or if you want large format the Perdix over the Peregrine)

Tern or Peregrine now. Both will handle non-trimix technical diving should you get into that later. IF even later you get into trimix, just sell & upgrade then. (OC trimix may not even be feasible a few years from now or CCR the more attractive tech option for you.)

I looked at the Peregrine and Perdix and the reason I went with the Perdix was more about what I could get on the main screen and the flexibility of what and where on the screen each item appeared. I am not sure today because that was a couple years ago. IIRC it was SurfGF that I was looking for, but my memory could be faulty.

Does the Perdix 2 or Teric have features or other qualities I'd be missing out on, not being a tech diver?
No, not really. The Peregrine/Tern are really the recreational versions of the Perdix/Teric.

For example:
Perdix 2 offers 6 dive modes: Air, Nitrox, 3 Gas Nitrox, OC Tec, CC/BO, and Gauge.
Peregrine offers 4 dive modes: Air, Nitrox, 3 Gas Nitrox, and Gauge.

The Tec modes have a different display and allow for Trimix, etc. The Tec display does offer some additional information that can be displayed, but I think you'll find you can display everything you would need on the Peregrine TX.

I have a Perdix AI. I have that and not the Peregrine TX because at the time I bought it, there was no Peregrine, Tern, Tern TX, or Peregrine TX.

I looked at the Peregrine and Perdix and the reason I went with the Perdix was more about what I could get on the main screen and the flexibility of what and where on the screen each item appeared. I am not sure today because that was a couple years ago. IIRC it was SurfGF that I was looking for, but my memory could be faulty.
What were you able to add to the main screen with the perdix that you couldn't with the peregrine?

I am not answering the question you asked directly, but I wanted to mention a couple of things that might be helpful.

Given the types of dives you described, I would recommend giving a thought to a puck-style computer (for example google cressi leonardo).

The biggest advantage of those computers, is that they are indestructible and basically require no care or maintenance. You can toss them around on the dive boat, people can step on them and nothing will happen. They also have all the functionality you would need to do any recreational dive. But should anything happen and the computer for example got broken or lost, it costs pennies (compared to SW products) to buy a new one. So essentially a puck style computer is a piece of gear that you don't have to think or worry about. It just works

The cons are: it will not be as sexy and slick as a SW product, it will not have AI either that you wanted.

If I had a choice between being stuck forever either with a puck style computer + spg vs SW + AI, I would go with the puck option because it needs less care and worry

But thats a personal preference of course. If you want a sexy and better looking dive computer with a nicer display, then ignore everything I wrote :)

Just wanted to mention pucks as an option

What were you able to add to the main screen with the perdix that you couldn't with the peregrine?
In recreational modes, the information options are the same. As the Perdix also has Tec modes, there is the possibility to display more information. You also have one additional spot that is customizable. Although I have Tec modes available, I prefer the look of the Rec modes, and have all information I need on the main screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom