First « cold » dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The coldest I’ve ever dove was Lake Tahoe. 55F (12.7C) on the surface, about 52 (11.1) at depth. Wore a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm boots, gloves, and hood. Made sure to have warm drinks before the first dive, inbetween 1st and 2nd, and then after the second. Still was very cold. Cold enough that I almost certianly won’t dive cold in a wetsuit again. Well unless it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to see something, then I might deal with all that neoprene again. If cold water diving becomes the order of the day I’ll learn to dive dry.

Or better yet, I’ll keep traveling to where the water is warm.

Having warm clothes to change into - even just dry clothes and one large jacket, will make a huge difference as well. Add in warm beverages and some food and you’ll start to warm up, maybe. I seem to recall feeling pretty chilled all day after my two dives, even though it was in June and fairly warm out.

Thank you for all your advice. I will purchase a thick undervest with a hood. I already have 5 mm boots and 5 mm gloves that I never use but I will. One last question. Would a hood make equalizing more difficult? Equalizing is the one problem that I have at the beginning of dives because of a chronic sinusitis. Once, I clear the first 12 meters, everything is fine for the rest of the dive but I hate having fellow divers waiting for me.

Thank you for all your advice. I will purchase a thick undervest with a hood. I already have 5 mm boots and 5 mm gloves that I never use but I will. One last question. Would a hood make equalizing more difficult? Equalizing is the one problem that I have at the beginning of dives because of a chronic sinusitis. Once, I clear the first 12 meters, everything is fine for the rest of the dive but I hate having fellow divers waiting for me.
The hood can complicate clearing but I just slide a finger under the edge and let some water in to brake the suction.

I’ve gone to wearing a neoprene beanie instead of a full hood. Equalization was not too big of an isssue, but I got OE everytime I dove with one covering my ears. The beanie keeps me warm(ish) and no ear issues afterwards.

I have done my first « cold dive ». I was given a 3 mm top under my 5.5 mm wetsuit and was wearing a hood but no glove. I hated the hood on the boat as it was pressing on my throat but it was ok under water. At some point, I was at 3 m and as I was stupidly grabbing the line with my hands (I realized that one was bloody when I surfaced) instead of sliding it to descend as fast as possible, I went back up and hit the boat hull. I was moving up and down during the descent so equalizing took some time. Then, at 20 meters it was fine. Max depth: 28m. Moderate current and surge during the entire dive but I love it. Gasteropods, Rays, Crabs, octopus, moray eels,… Wonderful dive. Good learning. It was in Dakar, Senegal in the eastern Atlantic ocean not in the Mediterranean sea. 16 degrees and I did not feel cold 👍🏿

I have always dived in warm waters. The coldest has been 20 degrees C and if it was ok underwater except going through thermoclines, the boat ride back and the surface time between two dives were awful. I really hate the cold. I just traveled to Senegal for professional reasons and decided that I want to dive here. Even though it is West Africa, the water temperature is 18 C. With my luck, it will probably be 16. Any advice to be well prepared to this relatively cold climate (I know that some are probably already laughing)? My wetsuit is 5.5 mm. I have a hood but I have never used it and would prefer to avoid wearing it if possible. I will probably purchase some extra layer to put under my wetsuit. And I will have dry (but not warm) clothing in my dry bag. That will be a good training for diving in the Côte d’Azur in France.
That’s pretty common temperatures in the Pacific Northwest. I’d usually dive that in my 7mm w hood, 7mm booties and 5mm gloves and be fine.

Pro move is to bring a hydro flask or thermos of warm water from the shower and pour it down into your wetsuit before you go get wet.

Only thing I might add here is that if you are making multiple dives having an extra hood is great. Putting on a cold clammy hood after your surface intervals kind of sucks, IMO.

The cold water is due to the current from Antarctica, hence the jackass penguin colony on Robben Island in South Africa.

I'd get a dry suit if I was doing this and a good hood.

The cold water is due to the current from Antarctica, hence the jackass penguin colony on Robben Island in South Africa.
Wrong hemisphere, currents from Antarctica don't flow that far north and probably turn west before or at the equator.

I'd get a dry suit if I was doing this and a good hood.
I agree, coldest I dived in a 7mm semidry was 18C off Spain in the Med, personally I prefer to dive dry when the water temps drop below 23C.

Boat rides can get cold if you're wet, best to get some coverage and wear a wooly hat to keep warm.

I've had several hoods over the years and found that the Waterproof 5mm hood is really good.

If you are having equalisation problems with the hood, leave it off until you get to the bottom, then pull it over your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom