First « cold » dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have always dived in warm waters. The coldest has been 20 degrees C and if it was ok underwater except going through thermoclines, the boat ride back and the surface time between two dives were awful. I really hate the cold. I just traveled to Senegal for professional reasons and decided that I want to dive here. Even though it is West Africa, the water temperature is 18 C. With my luck, it will probably be 16. Any advice to be well prepared to this relatively cold climate (I know that some are probably already laughing)? My wetsuit is 5.5 mm. I have a hood but I have never used it and would prefer to avoid wearing it if possible. I will probably purchase some extra layer to put under my wetsuit. And I will have dry (but not warm) clothing in my dry bag. That will be a good training for diving in the Côte d’Azur in France.

I would be in my 8mm with hood at that temp. I wear my 5mm from 22C - 28C, below 22C 8mm with hood and above 28mm it's my 3mm. Also will depend on your cold tolerance, I would rather have to let some water in to cool down than be cold.

You are going to need the hood. The average winter water temperature around my location is about 16c. While I use a 7mm for most single dives, I use a drysuit for multiple/extended time dives. Don’t forget gloves and some good boots. I’ve lost track of how many times I have been on the surface thinking the water feels fine so I can skip the hood. Then once I hit that first thermocline, I realize I guessed wrong…again. Wear the hood regardless, you will be more comfortable.

Your 5.5mm should already be fairly warm, you can layer neoprene under or over it. Almost any configuration will work - lavacore/sharkskin undersuit, a vest on top of it, two wetsuits layered... Its all a matter of balancing warmth against buoyancy and range of motion.

Renting a heavier suit may also be an option.

Wear the hood, it makes a BIG difference. If it's too uncomfortable it could be the wrong size. Or just not broken in yet. They can be stretched a bit if necessary.

Make sure you have good neoprene boots and gloves. 7mm boots. I find that the "semi dry" type gloves work best - like the XS Scuba Dry Five, or my favorite the slightly thinner (more dexterous) but similar Northern Diver Arctic Survivors. For the water temps you describe maybe a 3mm glove is okay. In my opinion a lot of the normal velcro gloves out there just suck.

You should do a practice dive with the extra neoprene to check buoyancy (you will need more weight!) and practice with any reduced dexterity or range of motion. Especially with gloves, it takes practice to re-learn how to manipulate things in cold water gloves.

Good advice so far. It is essential that you have warm coat on boat before and after dive and a ski cap is required if the air is cool.

Hoods suck, but they are a necessary evil and are the most efficient place to apply insulating neoprene to your body. A thick, lose fitting (and thus presumably comfortable) hood is way warmer than any hood that is left on the boat.

I would up the wetsuit thicknes. A hooded vest or at least a hood.

If you find yourself doing this a lot then invest in drysuit

Hi @Dody,

Depending on the style of your suit I'd recommend a hooded vest underneath. Personally I don't think hoods don't have to be a bummer; get one that really fits and you might learn to really like it.

And as @johndiver999 said, a warm jacket for before and after your dive is a great thing. To minimize chilling between dives, consider getting at least partly out of the wetsuit.

Hope that helps and happy to answer any questions,
Derek

I hate to wear a hood, but they do make a big difference -- so I'd say wear one anyhow.

I also agree about adding a 3mm vest or shorty under or over your wetsuit. And 5mm or thicker gloves and boots. I might be tempted to stay in thinner gloves than 5mm (but hands would get a bit cold), but thick boots make a pretty big difference.

A thermos with fairly warm water might be nice to pour in your wetsuit before and/or between dives. I'd avoid putting it in the thermos near boiling -- a lot of thermoses can keep water scalding hot for hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom