First cert to use 100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdonb6784

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello all,
Quick question. What certification level where you when you were granted access to 100% o2 for decompression? I'm also interested as to the certifying agencies you were in at the time of certification. Thank you all for the help.

To use 100% certification you will need to be qualified for accelerating decompression.

I qualified many years ago. When I first moved to 'technical' qualifications, none of the mainstream diving organisation qualified you for anything other than air (unlike now). Because I held a BSAC qualification, I was qualified to carryout decompression dives (on Air).
I followed my BSAC qualifications with my first technical qualification which was IANTD Advanced Nitrox - limiting me to 50% O2.
I followed this with a BSAC ERD, which limited me to 80% (later they moved this to 100%). I was also an ERD Instructor (previously a Nitrox Instructor).
I followed this with TDI Trimix, there was only the one qualification, no gas limitation, no depth limitations. Technically, this was the first qualification that allowed access to 100% O2. (Although as I say the ERD limitation was modified to 100%).

Basically, with the current courses you are looking at an ADP (Advanced Decompression Procedures) qualification to allow access to 100% O2. Although there are now so many agencies I stopped trying to keep track of what qualifications are available, and what limitations each has.

Gareth

TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, combined course.

I did tdi advanced nitrox by itself, needed o2 fills.

Prerequisites:
  • Minimum certification of TDI Nitrox Diver or equivalent
  • Proof of 25 logged open water dives
Same here.

To the op, why are you asking?

ANDI technical safe diver (2005) as I think its changed now.

1998 IANTD Technical nitrox by certification.Anyone can buy 02 for the most part.

Same here.

To the op, why are you asking?

After talking to a few divers from different agencies it seemed like there was no reel consensus, some said Tech II, others said a combination of different classes. The differences seem to differ a bit. So this is just an inquiry for myself. I was able to get it with advanced deep and advanced nitrox. Just something I've been wondering about.

I'll just point out that the reason that 100% O2 is restricted (in the diving environment) is because its toxic below 6m. Hence, you are only using it for decompression, and you need to have good (excellent) buoyancy control.
So, generally, you are looking at pretty advanced diving qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom