First BPW set-up, DGX, Deep6 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Deep6 wing. It is similar to my Zeagle wing but it looks better made.
I am not a fan of the DGX wing as it is too narrow for my liking although it is narrower and streamlined. But I still prefer the design of the D6 or Zeagle.
I don’t use an STA, but use an OMS stabilizer.
I wanted to buy the D6 wing as well, but funds did not allow it.

It is a skinny wing. (Dgx, vdh, oxy)

I've heard fatter wings that taco more are more stable for doubles. But I don't recall ever caring about stability ever, on my other single tank rig.

My dss lcd 30 is much larger.

How's their quality compared with the others mentioned?
Can’t honestly say. I bought it based on a lot of reading and research, not having tried the others. I’m very happy with it, though. I did take a few minutes (literally) and hit the edges of the plate with a sander and bent the lower corners back a bit.

Did you put your trim pockets on the top cam strap or the waist band? Just curious.

Did you put your trim pockets on the top cam strap or the waist band? Just curious.
Trim pockets are made to go on top cam band.

I feel like a lot of this conversation is avoiding the elephant in the room regarding D6. I love D6, just bought my newly certed wife a D6 reg set. When I bought a BP/W last year I wanted to go 6. I ended up with DGX, which I love, so it’s not like I settled for it. Anywhere from some to most of the components of the D6 have been out of stock since before the whole shipageden thing (sorry if I butchered that @Marie13 ). And that would be my reason for going DGX. Just came back from Bonaire where I put it to use and it was wonderful. It also stabilized my overhead bag by adding 6# in the back of it.
Very happy, indeed.

Erik

I put them on the waist band. I usually dive in tropical conditions and when diving a 3mm wetsuit I'm only adding a couple lbs, so for my trim works well for me to add at waist.

One question though: Is the wing only attached to the backplate by the tank bands? That would result in a very loose connection if there's no tank in it, so much so that the wing can move up or down. No bolts were delivered... I suppose I should get some. Not the end of the world, but still - a nuisance.
And so much for 'fully installed, ready to dive'. The harness is installed, I'll give them that...

It's not a problem but it can get annoying when changing tanks on a cramped boat. I had mine bolted at the top because of that, and it required poking a hole through the webbing.

Finally going to pull the trigger and get a BPW set up but am really confused about the difference between some of the different companies. I was initially looking at a DGX system due to its price, but then some people say that the quality is a lot less than some of the other companies especially for another $200 and to look into Deep6, XDeep or Dive Rite. Don't mind spending an extra $200 if there's really that much of a difference.
I live in SFL and usually dive warm water with either a skin or 3m in the winter. Only single tank for now, but may want to get into tech in the next year or 2.
Appreciate the help.

Everyone in here seems to be pushing one of two things, what they dive themselves or what their friends sell.

I have Apeks , Hollis, hog, light monkey, and dive rite currently. If I was on a budget I’d go with the dgx. Priced well and wing is made in the USA.

ETA: huge fan of the halcyon wings too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom