First BPW set-up, DGX, Deep6 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally going to pull the trigger and get a BPW set up but am really confused about the difference between some of the different companies. I was initially looking at a DGX system due to its price, but then some people say that the quality is a lot less than some of the other companies especially for another $200 and to look into Deep6, XDeep or Dive Rite. Don't mind spending an extra $200 if there's really that much of a difference.
I live in SFL and usually dive warm water with either a skin or 3m in the winter. Only single tank for now, but may want to get into tech in the next year or 2.
Appreciate the help.
I just went through the search and ended up with subgravity paragon.

Finally going to pull the trigger and get a BPW set up but am really confused about the difference between some of the different companies. I was initially looking at a DGX system due to its price, but then some people say that the quality is a lot less than some of the other companies especially for another $200 and to look into Deep6, XDeep or Dive Rite. Don't mind spending an extra $200 if there's really that much of a difference.
I live in SFL and usually dive warm water with either a skin or 3m in the winter. Only single tank for now, but may want to get into tech in the next year or 2.
Appreciate the help.

If you drive up to Aqui Watersports and schedule a time with @LandonL you will be able to see the xDeep and Deep6 in person. He will also be able to help you get the harness fit to you.

What part of the DGX BP/W did you hear was sub par?

I don't get it either. The "extra quality" of xdeep and d6 seem like bling and doodads. Both of which, make the product worse, not better.

Just get a regular DIR plate and harness. Both D6 and xdeep show some fruity nonsense on their rigs, on their websites.

The DGX is actually my top pick of what's listed. The only thing close to flaws that I've seen:

Ss plates may need some filing to get the slots smooth and unsharp.

In the past the sleeves were too melted on the ends, and had to be trimmed. Pretty sure they've addressed that,

Just get a regular DIR plate and harness. Both D6 and xdeep show some fruity nonsense on their rigs, on their websites.

What's 'fruity nonsense' on the xDeep Zeos 28 Standard, for example? Apart from marketing bla bla and nice pictures (which all brands have), looking at the specs on the xDeep website I don't see much fancy stuff you wouldn't want. Or am I missing something?

Just curious about what you mean in this case.

I can find the Zeos 28 Standard at € 365 (± 400 USD) excl. shipping, by the way. Not exactly expensive, is it?

On the D6 there's some kind of plastic clip on the waist belt and two weight pouchs. And it uses an sta, and needs 2 extra holes in the plate drilled.

And while the Zeos is the best option from Xdeep, but it uses an sta, and it's cam straps might not be as nice as DGX's.

The DGX doesn't need an sta.

And this thing is just plain weird:

Cutout the sides of the plate, so my bungied dsmv can't hide there. And dual crotch straps, [just what I've always wanted]. And my pet peeve, inflator hose in wrong spot.

Appreciate the help.
The main value in BP/W is efficiency. Of all the BCD options it is potentially the most streamlined, most versatile, toughest, and best value for money. I say potentially because the farther you get from the basic (aka DIR or Hogarthian) setup, the farther you get from these ideals. The parts that make up a basic setup are: a stainless steel plate, several feet of 2" wide harness webbing, a stainless steel buckle, 3 D-rings (plus 2 on the crotch strap), a handful of belt slides, a wing, and two tank straps.

Except for the wing, these are all commodity items. There is no performance advantage in the more expensive plates or harness webbing or hardware. There might be cosmetic advantages or brand preferences that some people feel are worth a price premium, but nothing that will make a difference under water.

So if you are just looking for something that works, then there is no reason to pay more than the DGX package or a similarly priced setup from Piranha (which allows you to get colored webbing :)) with a HOG 23lb wing. It's a well-made wing with cam strap slots so you don't need an STA. 23# is all the lift you need for SFL ocean. I use an 18# wing when I dive there.

$150 harness with SS backplate and 2" crotch strap - Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates
$240 for wing - 23lb Hog Donut Shaped Wing ****All Black Wing Only!*** , Piranha Dive Shop |
$50 for cam straps (on this page, in black and colors) - DIR & Deluxe Harnesses Piranha Dive Shop |
$3 for bands to hold your lights in place (put 2 on each side between the shoulder D-ring and waist, the last 1 can hold the excess webbing on the waist belt) - 5 Pack Small Rubber Bands , Piranha Dive Shop |

As for weights. -
For warm water diving you do not need a fancy weight system. If you don't want to use a weight belt then a couple of basic pockets that slide onto the waist belt or cam straps are all that is required. I use a pair of these at $10 each XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket

I just had the Tecline Donut 15 ultra light travel set delivered. It comes with a 3mm aluminum backplate, DIR harness attached, 15L (33 lbs) wing with built-in tank stabilizers and corrugated inflator hose and braided LPI hose, trim weight pouches (not yet attached), and dump weight pouches (not yet attached). It also comes in a very nice duffel bag.

The webbing is much softer than the stiff stuff on the xDeep Zeos I have (will be my doubles setup soon). No problem having that harness on a thin wetsuit (the xDeep stiffer webbing was less comfortable).
Also, a nice handle-loop at the top of the wing.

One question though: Is the wing only attached to the backplate by the tank bands? That would result in a very loose connection if there's no tank in it, so much so that the wing can move up or down. No bolts were delivered... I suppose I should get some. Not the end of the world, but still - a nuisance.
And so much for 'fully installed, ready to dive'. The harness is installed, I'll give them that...

On the D6 there's some kind of plastic clip on the waist belt and two weight pouchs. And it uses an sta, and needs 2 extra holes in the plate drilled.

And while the Zeos is the best option from Xdeep, but it uses an sta, and it's cam straps might not be as nice as DGX's.

The DGX doesn't need an sta.

And this thing is just plain weird:

Cutout the sides of the plate, so my bungied dsmv can't hide there. And dual crotch straps, [just what I've always wanted]. And my pet peeve, inflator hose in wrong spot.
huh?

no plastic clip on the waist belt. If you're looking at the images on the "package" those are the weight pockets which are option.
The wing has integrated roll control and does not require a STA. Using one is personal preference but my Deep6 rig does not have a metal STA nor do I find the need to use one since it is a dedicated single tank rig.
Why do you need to drill 2 extra holes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom