First BPW set-up, DGX, Deep6 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huh?

no plastic clip on the waist belt. If you're looking at the images on the "package" those are the weight pockets which are option.
The wing has integrated roll control and does not require a STA. Using one is personal preference but my Deep6 rig does not have a metal STA nor do I find the need to use one since it is a dedicated single tank rig.
Why do you need to drill 2 extra holes?

The only reason I am a proponent of an STA is if you're poor like me then you can switch the same bp/ harness between wings effortlessly, otherwise I'm stuck undoing cambands.

In a perfect world (maybe one where I didn't have so many baby mama's / kids!) I would just have 2 setups and prefer the closer tank with the integrated roll control.

The only reason I am a proponent of an STA is if you're poor like me then you can switch the same bp/ harness between wings effortlessly, otherwise I'm stuck undoing cambands.

In a perfect world (maybe one where I didn't have so many baby mama's / kids!) I would just have 2 setups and prefer the closer tank with the integrated roll control.

I do like STA's actually, just the need to use one vs. the desire to use one. They're especially useful if you have 2x of them for boat diving since I hate swapping tanks over. The key is to have a wing that can accept a metal STA but doesn't actually NEED one. I.e. Halcyon Eclipse NEEDS one because it doesn't have cam band slots or a roll control device. Dive Rite wings IMO need one because they don't have any roll control devices *but they can at least use the soft STA's that don't weigh much which is helpful*.
Still curious what his comment about drilling extra holes was about though.

I feel like I'm always the only person mentioning this in these "Which BP/W?" threads, but don't overlook the HOG offerings. Once you do comparison shopping with what you actually get in various packages v. upgrades, or what you'd spend if you buy components separately, the pricing is competitive - particularly if you get the discount codes from divers-supply.com.

One question though: Is the wing only attached to the backplate by the tank bands? That would result in a very loose connection if there's no tank in it, so much so that the wing can move up or down. No bolts were delivered... I suppose I should get some. Not the end of the world, but still - a nuisance.
That's how my BP/Ws have always been set up (unbolted) and I've used three plates (DSS, GUTS, Freedom) and 2 wings (DSS and VDH) over the years. I don't find it a problem. As noted, the wings are stable with a tank. I guess if all the slots are oversized, you might have to futz with the wing placement when putting it on a tank, but mine line up automatically.

I feel like I'm always the only person mentioning this in these "Which BP/W?" threads, but don't overlook the HOG offerings. Once you do comparison shopping with what you actually get in various packages v. upgrades, or what you'd spend if you buy components separately, the pricing is competitive - particularly if you get the discount codes from divers-supply.com.
$405 with wing, steel plate and cam bands is a hell of a deal.

huh?

no plastic clip on the waist belt. If you're looking at the images on the "package" those are the weight pockets which are option.
The wing has integrated roll control and does not require a STA. Using one is personal preference but my Deep6 rig does not have a metal STA nor do I find the need to use one since it is a dedicated single tank rig.
Why do you need to drill 2 extra holes?

They really need to upgrade thier website then. I took one look at it and, "not what I want".

Show another pic in the dir setup.

The 4 holes at the sides of the plate are great to put loops of bungie to secure things that are nearly useless. Like a dsmv.

That's how my BP/Ws have always been set up (unbolted) and I've used three plates (DSS, GUTS, Freedom) and 2 wings (DSS and VDH) over the years. I don't find it a problem. As noted, the wings are stable with a tank. I guess if all the slots are oversized, you might have to futz with the wing placement when putting it on a tank, but mine line up automatically.

I use the bolts when I travel. I use the plate as a back pack. So those bolts keep the wing secure, and speed up assembly on chaotic 3rd world dive boats.

Run the waist band back to the cam straps, run the crotch strap around both cam straps to make a basket bottom. Use the velcro to center it. Toss my mask, towel, sunblock, and snorkel in my fin bag, and place it in the cam straps. Tighten the waist belt, inflate the wing.

Everything else goes in my reg bag.

Run the waist band back to the cam straps, run the crotch strap around both cam straps to make a basket bottom. Use the velcro to center it. Toss my mask, towel, sunblock, and snorkel in my fin bag, and place it in the cam straps. Tighten the waist belt, inflate the wing.

Fascinating. Do you have a picture?

They really need to upgrade thier website then. I took one look at it and, "not what I want".

Show another pic in the dir setup.

The 4 holes at the sides of the plate are great to put loops of bungie to secure things that are nearly useless. Like a dsmv.

I use the bolts when I travel. I use the plate as a back pack. So those bolts keep the wing secure, and speed up assembly on chaotic 3rd world dive boats.

Must have missed the optional bit but I'm sure @LandonL will get a DIR esque picture.

I'm still not sure why you feel the need to drill more holes in it, most of them aren't reachable and are only functional if you put something like an MC pack on there but even then, pockets are better for most recreational activities.

@dnh You won't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. I have a comparison of the Edge HOG TBCS and the SubGravity paragon here.

Looking at the Deep 6 website, it looks like the BP/W is still out of stock... Full disclosure, we sell Deep 6, Edge HOG and SubGravity. I'd sell DGX too, if I could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom