First BPW Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vitesse2l

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now we English divers are allowed back in (Wales and Scotland still under restrictions) I've finally got to use the wing I set up back in March when it was windy, wet and cold.

Since qualifying about three years ago I have used a year 2000 AP Diving bcd, their Buddy Profile model. Those buddy jackets are fairly indestructible and the company has a spares and service commitment that means I could get an essentially new bcd just by sending in my old one, plus cheque. Only problem is I found the jacket just a tad large, right on the cusp between sizes and as I got more experience decided to go smaller which was fine except ebay had nothing at my price. I'm not super cheap but I wanted the same as I had, just a size down. Which is where I spotted a backplate setup, local and very tempting. Later that day I collected the biggest wing ever attached to a stainless plate and some shredded webbing plus two OMS weight pouches. The guy selling had given up diving on health grounds.

A couple of hundred pounds later (read as closer to £300) I had a 30lb wing, SS STA and some new 2" webbing, plus locknuts etc. From the old webbing I salvaged all the triglides, clips and d rings. The massive old wing turned out to be a double bladder diverite superwing in good condition, but I'll never use it. I used the online DIR guide as a basis for setting up the new harness, going for a one piece with a break and loop of webbing under my right arm in case I needed it for rib recovery. D rings placed in all four corners and the two OMS pouches on the belt. Not DIR at all but I'm all for equipment that suits what im doing and evolving it over time. In my club the buddy system is an important part of our diving since pairs are independent once they splash and prepared for what they're doing so at the same time my kit has to fit in with that, especially if I buddy with inexperienced trainees.

First dive of the year last week I used my old setup - six months out of the water due to winter weather and covid so a very gentle shallow pootle off a beach. It all came back nicely so I decided to try the wing next time. I had already calculated what I'd need for weight and that turned out mostly fine - Steel 12L plus SS backplate and 2x 2kg lead weights in the pouches. I use a full wetsuit and shorty at this time of year and found I needed a duck dive to get down. By the end I struggled to hold 2m depth at the beach. Otherwise I very much like the way the rig locates and stays put with the harness. Trim was instantly better and having a crotch strap meant it stayed that way. Plan for the next dive was to add lead to the top cam band and make a few tweaks, dropping the tank a couple of inches and tidying hoses and clips as well as loosening the shoulder straps.

Today I made another dive, still shore based for the foreseeable. A 200 meter walk plus surface swim had me nicely warm but in the water the rig was better. I still need another kilo of lead but poking around a wrecked ww2 freighter today was a joy and the new ability to easily hold position a really satisfying pleasure. On the surface I played around and wasn't tipped on my face unless I wanted to be.

Call me a convert!

If anyone is considering the same, do the research, talk to other divers and go for it. I was worried about mix and matching brands but I shouldn't have been. I'm not throwing away my bcd but it might be a while before I use it again.

TL DR New wing good.

Put the double bladder wing up for sale. Will help cover your extra costs.

Selling the old wing is a good idea Marie, I'd rather see someone getting use out of it. Just need to get around to it.

Getting rid of the pouches is in the plan when I move to a drysuit with pockets then it's back to a weight belt.

If you go for a dry-suit. I would change to a P/V weight at the back of the BP or in the STA.
Redundant buoyancy in the dry-suit makes the weight belt as an extra.
The trim weights can still be attached to the tank straps if needed.

That's all part if the next step really. A p/v is weight where you want it so I like the idea. I've been reading up on weights and if you ask 10 divers you get 10 different opinions!

I must say that I like not having a belt on. There's always a bit of overlap between the cam band and weight belt. I often tighten the bcd after splashing and I'm paranoid about undoing the wrong one underwater. Thick gloves dont help.

Back
Top Bottom