First Bag Drag Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might consider taking ADO into Cancun the night before and staying at a hotel near the bus station downtown then take bus or taxi to airport. That gets you a lot closer and you can leave your hotel about 5am.

I think that's what he's going to do. I'd even started to reply, making the same assumption you did, but then re-read his post.

Clearly, it's not clear.:)

I'd feel nervous about 5:30am.

He mentioned that, but I'd want to be at the airport by 5am. Cab fares will vary by driver, and I'd plan on catching the bus.

Agreed. 5am gives time for waiting in security line. Just throwing 5:30am as the time to stay well in advance of.

I think that's what he's going to do. I'd even started to reply, making the same assumption you did, but then re-read his post.

Clearly, it's not clear.:)

I think you're right. He confused me by saying "spend the night" before "taking the bus" but then he mentions finding a hotel near where he "gets off the bus" and clearly he gets ON the bus in PDC and OFF in Cancun.

Some of us aren't retired yet and have to get up and go to work the next day. Yes, I sometimes work on Sundays.
Ok, I have always planned the day after flying home as unpacking day. If you want to fly home the day before going to work, being home midday would be best.

Another caution about very early flights. Porters are often not available for the early flights. I have encountered this problem leaving Lubbock, catching a ferry in Cozumel, and even in PDC. As much as I drag, I often have to carry half my stuff 10 yards, ground it, go back for the other half, repeat so it all remains in my control.

On a recent cemetery hunting trip to Mississippi, I just took a backpack and roll-on - so much easier.

Last edited:
On a recent cemetery hunting trip to Mississippi, I just took a backpack and roll-on - so much easier.

What is the daily bag limit on cemeteries in Mississippi these days?

What is the daily bag limit on cemeteries in Mississippi these days?
No limit, but watch your step trying to read 100 year old stones, humid climate with algae growth, up & down the rows, weaving between to get to the sides with engraving, etc. All the graveyards I visited were well mowed & kept, no rattlesnakes or grassburrs - but some old headstones are just waiting for a nudge to fall, and some graves are sunken hazards. Found most of the ancestors I was seeking, left flowers, left the remaining flowers at some old graves on the side when I was finished, then left the screwdriver in the rental car. It helps to carry a screwdriver to poke holes for the flowers, but you can't carry those in roll-on bags, so I got a cheap one at the first dollar store where I got the flowers. Interesting trip in many ways.

Sounds easy enough. We're spending the night in Cancun and we'll probably taxi to the airport. All these years going to Cozumel and never rode the ferry or been to the mainland. Closest we've been is taking the dive boat over for lionfish hunting. Not that we will see much of it, but that's okay and we'll go over early enough to look around a little. I'm up at 4 am for work so the early flight is good.

"He" is a "She" :)

Don, the cemetery trip sounds really interesting.

Don, the cemetery trip sounds really interesting.
It was. My first one out of state. My first overnight one a couple of years ago took me downstate visiting several. On the way home, I didn't notice a school zone in one town until I was already in it @ 35mph, braked hard, took it slow on out of town, but still got stopped. I felt bad about the danger I'd caused and just answered the older cop's questions as I expected a ticket and massive fine. She asked where I was headed, I answered home near Plainview, then she asked where I'd been - and her reaction was almost comical. Amazingly she let me off with a warning.

I'm surprised that with all of your trips to Coz that you've never been to the peninsula. The nearby ruins, cenotes, and more are quite interesting. You should set aside 2 or 3 days to explore the other side sometime.

Last edited:
Ok, I have always planned the day after flying home as unpacking day. If you want to fly home the day before going to work, being home midday would be best.

just leave it all packed for the next trip. If that's a problem then you aren't taking enough trips.

Back
Top Bottom