First anniversary of OW - and of scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Scubaboarders!

I’ve just passed the first anniversary of my OW certification, and am feeling reflective and grateful. I thought I’d share the journey of my first year of diving (and of Scubaboard). This is LONG, and I don’t expect anyone much to read it, but it’s a way of marking a milestone for myself.

Anyway, I was just reading this thread about buoyancy in the ‘New Divers’ forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...5920-buoyancy-1-0-sudden-fly-away-effect.html

And there are Lynne and Andy telling this guy exactly what he needs to hear right now. Two instructors of the highest calibre sharing their expertise out of generosity rather than obligation, and others piling in with awesome advice too.

This was exactly my experience when I joined Scubaboard a year ago. I, too, was brand spanking new out of OW, and blown away by breathing under water and flapping about for the first time. I lurked for a while and asked my first question – about how best to hold a blue water safety stop with no line – on the 4th of March last year. I haven’t stopped asking questions since, which is why I am one of those dreaded members whose post count exceeds their number of dives :)

In many ways, Scubaboard has been my most important mentor over this first year of diving.

A year has passed now and I’m approaching a hundred dives (as is my beautiful wife-slash-dive-buddy). I didn’t expect what this year would hold. I’ve explored wrecks, swum alongside sharks half as big again as I am. I’ve been within touching distance of mantas, flamboyant cuttlefish, frogfish, seasnakes, several types of sharks, pygmy seahorses, stingrays in their hundreds, barracuda and pipefish – not to mention a hundred kinds of those crazy little things called nudibranchs which I hadn’t so much as heard of Christmas 2012. I’ve seen flame fire shells flashing their electrical lightning-displays, thresher sharks circling in dawn waters, octopus going from fake-rock camoflauge to bright-colour threat display in an instant. I’ve seen a swarm of cuttlefish passing by in the inky blackness of a night ocean, their ghostly topographies lit from within by the beam of a dive torch. I’ve swum in a phosphorescent ocean, my arms trailing stars, with the moon visible overhead on the other side of that silver veil where the water and sky meet.

I’ve heard (and felt in the hollows of my body) humpback whales singing as they passed me by.

I’ve seen ecosystems on the edge of collapse.

I’ve been enriched and uplifted by this new sport in ways I didn’t anticipate. I took this up for fun. It’s been fun! But it’s been more than that as well.

Scubaboard has been a big part of this journey.

My experience of my Open Water course was typical for a holiday-learner, I think. Standards (PADI) were met. Everything of importance was explained, and my instructor was thorough, professional, experienced and competent. We took a four-day course while on holiday in Bali. There were two-day OW certification courses on offer, but even then those sounded like dangerously rushed for training in something that was already making me nervous. I was never a particularly ‘water’ person before this, you see, so this has been a life changer in that respect too now.

Anyway, our instructor was thorough and conscientious, and the course went well. It was a lot of new information very quickly. We were overweighted for ease of training. The course did precisely what it was designed to do – it gave us the basics we needed to know to dive in open water as a buddy pair within acceptable margins of safety. Did we learn how to dive well? Impossible in that timeframe. But we knew enough not to get ourselves hurt while learning more through doing. From that point, the onus was then very much on us, as divers, to be diligent in continuing to consciously improve.

And this is where Scubaboard came in. It has been hands down the best continuing education resource I have found, and in many profound ways the culture here has shaped my attitude and my practices as a diver. This was the benefit of arriving here early, I think. I was newly certified, without a community of divers or mentors around me, and I didn’t know what I didn’t know.

Compared to many real-world spaces, Scubaboard strikes me as a safety-conscious and best-practice oriented culture. It doesn’t tolerate recklessness gladly. Its core values (to the extent that value-cohesion can exist in any large group of people) encourage mastery of skills, good training, and informed decision making.

So right from the get-go I got the message that this sport had the potential for mishap (my first week was spent reading the accidents-and-incidents forum start to finish), but that good training and practice mitigated that potential. Diving is fun – and it’s fun in the same way sex is fun. Love makes it better, as does respect, familiarity and practice.

We joined a local dive club and started diving every fortnight. We were (thanks again to SB) diligent about practising our skills and drills. Taking my mask off, for example, was troublesome to me at first, even kneeling, overweighted in 5m of water as I did in OW. So I was sure to do this at every opportunity – in the shallows at the end of a dive, hanging onto a rope during my safety stop, and so on. Soon I could do it horizontally in open water without too much discomfort or loss of buoyancy. We were very conscientious buddies, never skimping on our pre-dive checks and post-dive debriefs, keeping situational awareness of the other at the top of our goals for each dive, continually improving our in-water communication and so on.

We took training slow – reading all we could about buoyancy and propulsion to begin with, and only taking AOW after 30 dives when we felt we were vaguely competent with all the OW stuff. At the time, AOW felt like it didn’t add much, but the exposure to different environments like night diving opened more doors for our own later exploration.

I’ve always been the scholarly type, and never much good at sports. It has been wonderful to see myself gradually getting good at a physical activity! It may not be as challenging as base jumping or whatever, but seeing myself slowly become competent at something physical and relatively complex has been very enriching. I was looking through my computer logs the other day – my SAC in my first few dives was in the high 20s (38, to be honest, on one barely-controlled first encounter with strong current). After a while, it settled at around 20litres a minute. And then, after 50 or so dives, it began creeping lower and lower, recently getting as low as 11.5 litres a minute as I have learned to relax and feel comfortable. I expect it will keep getting better, although perhaps not as markedly. Getting a half-decent frog kick was a challenge for me (my legs couldn’t seem to learn what to do – my wife picked it up in an instant), and rewarding to feel come together. And buoyancy! It started coming together for me after 40 dives or so, and now I can float quite stably (eight times out of ten anyway) with my mask centimetres from the smallest of creatures and stay put just where I want to be without harming or spooking them.

Being around people like you, and hearing the voices of experience here made me want to be a better diver right from the outset, and it turns out I’m a better diver because of it. I have miles to go, of course, but am at a point where I can just be present during a dive and enjoy it rather than focus too much on how I’m doing what I’m doing.

We have dove Tulumben in Bali, Byron Bay and many sites in South East Queensland here at home, and Malapascua, Bohol, Moalboal and Dauin (and their associated sites like Apo and Pescador and Panglao Islands) in the Philippines. We’ve gradually gotten deeper and longer in our diving. Anything under an hour dive time feels short now, and we are comfortable to the limits of recreational depths, even including being narced, although depth for depth’s sake holds little interest. As I alluded to above, I have seen things I never even imagined were down there.

Diving has:

Given me a series of wonderful adventures to share together with my wife. A good dive is a great thing to share with the person you love! After being all fussy about getting our individual buoyancy right for months there, I confess we now often find ourselves holding hands while drifting along a wall, or looking at an exciting critter.

Introduced us to a number of new friends from all walks of life.

Revealed to me a whole new side of where I live. It has made my hometown interesting again (who knew the diving would be good in a city that is near both Byron Bay and the Barrier Reef, huh)?

It has opened my eyes to ecological concerns I knew intellectually were out there, but have now experientially been a part of.

It has encouraged me to take up swimming and stop smoking, both of which are good things for a fat guy in his early 40s (I confess to the odd slip).

So thanks, Scubaboard. Good instructors are important to find, and you have been a superlative one – knowledgeable about every minutae, and on hand 24 hours a day for the dumbest question. Moreover, your ideals have become mine, and for that I cannot thank you deeply enough.

Peace, all, and happy bubbles!

Craig.

In many ways, Scubaboard has been my most important mentor over this first year of diving.

This is probably my most favorite post of all time. Thanks for paying it back!

WOW Craig! Congratulations on a wonderful year of diving and what an awesome post.
And I feel the same way. ScubaBoard has made me a much better diver and a much better instructor. I have met divers of all levels and had the opportunity to be mentored and to pay it forward mentoring others. I have made lifelong friends. I have met renowned respected industry greats who are just down right nice folks in addition to being experts. I have learned that even though I have become much more knowledgeable, there is still so much more to learn. And that there will be someone on ScubaBoard who will help me understand it.
If you ever get to the FL Keys, please let me know. I'd love to dive with you!

Wow -- this not only made my day, but made me feel much better about the amount of time I spending writing here . . .

I'm sure envious of you, living within easy reach of Byron Bay. I would SO love to go back there.

Awesome post, Craig.

Coincidentally, twelve years ago yesterday I started my own OW class, and almost exactly a year after that I discovered ScubaBoard. It's been a tremendous source of information, as well as a place for me to meet dive buddies from all over the world ... people I would never have met otherwise. I met my most influential real-life mentor through this board ... and although he doesn't post here much anymore, he still lurks and occasionally has something to say. I'm still learning ... often from folks like you. So thanks for participating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What a way with words you've got, Craig! I especially like the poetry in this:
I’ve swum in a phosphorescent ocean, my arms trailing stars, with the moon visible overhead on the other side of that silver veil where the water and sky meet.
I've reposted a link to this essay to my FB wall and immediately received likes from it.

I'm with Marcia, that sentence just really struck home with me. What a fantastic post Craig! It makes me wonder, if I take enough time to reflect on any particular dive experience, before moving on to the next adventure. I will remember this post, as I try to spend more time enjoying and appreciating the "Now". Thank You!

Thanks, guys. That has made my day!!

I'm not sure that honour is at all deserved, Netdoc, but I appreciate the kindness :)

TS&M - it almost goes without saying, but your posts in particular have been very formative. One of the reasons we dive with long hoses is thanks to the education in good diving practices you provide. We even went through the whole five or seven foot for open water consideration. Hah. I wouldn't have imagined this was a thing a year ago.

And the rest of you are names I know for similar reasons. If any of you instructors and other types doubt the impact of your contributions here, please don't forget that for every participant in a conversation there are countless other observers. What are the stats on that here? Readers are changed by every new idea they are exposed to, especially when the ideas are as carefully explained as they tend to be around here.

Thanks again all. What a nice surprise!

TS&M - it almost goes without saying, but your posts in particular have been very formative. One of the reasons we dive with long hoses is thanks to the education in good diving practices you provide. We even went through the whole five or seven foot for open water consideration. Hah. I wouldn't have imagined this was a thing a year ago.

That made my evening. Thank you!

This post has touched so many areas. It has broke the ego based pettiness found in so many threads. If this was any other situation i would ask for a comment on split fins, as that is i think the only area not broached. I think we all owe a thank you to this first year diver that was able to artiulate so well the thoughts laid down.

WELL DONE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom