First 7mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with the Bare Evoke 7mm on a Galapagos liveaboard, and it was relatively easy to get in and out with the plastic bag trick.
I tried out several Bare 7mm (Elastek and Nixie I think) as well as a bunch of other brands, and chose the Bare Evoke because it was WAY easier to get in and out of!
May I ask if it fits true to size for you? Did it keep you warm in cold dive sites in Galapagos for you?

May I ask if it fits true to size for you? Did it keep you warm in cold dive sites in Galapagos for you?

I'm normally dress size 4-6, but the Bare wetsuits size 6 fit well for my 5'6" height. It is slightly large around thighs for me, but it didn't affect the look or functionality. Looking back at my orders, I tried on the same size in Bare Elate and Nixie and the fit was very similar.

In Galapagos, the northern dive sites (Wolf and Darwin Islands) were not that cold. I wore the Bare Evoke 7mm plus a Bare Exowear Hood, and was perfectly comfortable down to around 19-20 degrees (66-68 deg F), started to feel cold at 17-18 degrees. We only experienced these lower temps around Cousins Rock, and even waiting around for whale sharks and hammerheads near Wolf and Darwin I didn't get cold. I was quite satisfied with the Bare Evoke 7mm on the liveaboard, where I was putting on and taking off the suit 3-4 times a day!

We did some day diving based in Santa Cruz (Academy Bay Diving), and Floreana Island was where we hit 15.4 degrees (60 deg F), and that felt REALLY cold, although I somehow managed to finish both dives.

Our Leave-In Conditioner is a fave for easing on wetsuits! Happy to answer any questions!

I'm normally dress size 4-6, but the Bare wetsuits size 6 fit well for my 5'6" height. It is slightly large around thighs for me, but it didn't affect the look or functionality. Looking back at my orders, I tried on the same size in Bare Elate and Nixie and the fit was very similar.

In Galapagos, the northern dive sites (Wolf and Darwin Islands) were not that cold. I wore the Bare Evoke 7mm plus a Bare Exowear Hood, and was perfectly comfortable down to around 19-20 degrees (66-68 deg F), started to feel cold at 17-18 degrees. We only experienced these lower temps around Cousins Rock, and even waiting around for whale sharks and hammerheads near Wolf and Darwin I didn't get cold. I was quite satisfied with the Bare Evoke 7mm on the liveaboard, where I was putting on and taking off the suit 3-4 times a day!

We did some day diving based in Santa Cruz (Academy Bay Diving), and Floreana Island was where we hit 15.4 degrees (60 deg F), and that felt REALLY cold, although I somehow managed to finish both dives.
This helps! Thank you!! I am going to go for size 4 using your fit as reference (I am 5.4). Curious to know how easy or difficult putting on a Nixie on (vs. Evoke) when you tried. If price is the same I would go for Evoke (per recos on this tread) but I find some discount on Nixie that makes it more affordable than Evoke.

Not the one you replied to, but the thing I love about Bare is how they have so many different sizes. I don't think I've ever fit so well in anything and I end up going back to the Bare size chart to find my measurements whenever I'm shopping for clothes or whatnot because it's spot on.

I wore my Evoke in down to 45F and was fine. I did stack on a vest but I'm still not sure if I actually needed it since my arms and legs that weren't covered were still warm. Everyone's cold tolerance is different though.

Did you guys give up on astroglide and picked a hair conditioner to be all the new rage?

This helps! Thank ypu!! I am going to go for size 4 using your fit as reference (I am 5.4). Curious to know how easy or difficult putting on a Nixie on (vs. Evoke) when you tried. If price is the same I would go for Evoke (per recos on this tread) but I find some discount on Nixie that make it more affordable than Evoke.

I feel you, I would have gone for the Nixie if it was just as easy to put on! When I tried it on, because of the internal cuff on the calves (and possibly on the arms), the Nixie was much more difficult to don and doff. Plus, the material of the Evoke felt much more plush and flexible compared to the Nixie.

Of course, like DBPacific mentioned above, everyone has a different temperature tolerance.

I feel you, I would have gone for the Nixie if it was just as easy to put on! When I tried it on, because of the internal cuff on the calves (and possibly on the arms), the Nixie was much more difficult to don and doff. Plus, the material of the Evoke felt much more plush and flexible compared to the Nixie.

Of course, like DBPacific mentioned above, everyone has a different temperature tolerance.
So helpful. Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom