First 7mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am searching for a 7mm wetsuit. As reference my Bare elastek 5mm size 8 (women) fits me perfectly and keeps me warm in 75F water. Now looking for a 7mm to bring to Galapagos liveaboard sometime this year to dive 62 - 70F water. Since I am pretty miserable to put on/off my Bare 5 mm, I am looking for something a little easier to put on. Do you have any recommendations? Based on what I've read so far, Nixie 7mm and Aquaflex 7mm seem to be a good option in terms of flexibility and fit (based on the size chart). I am wondering which one would be better in terms of flexibility and construction. I am in the area where there is no local shop carries 7mm women wetsuit so I will have to go with what online research says and some advice I may get on this forum. Any advice or experience is welcome.

Best.

I have a Bare Evoke 7mm that is stretchy and not too bad to get on (I almost always dive dry these days). Wearing a full skin underneath or a long sleeve rash guard on top and Lycra scuba socks on your feet help a ton I’m getting a thicker suit on easier.

Waterproof W4 7mm or Deep6 7mm. Would encourage using either thin plastic grocery bags on your hands and feet to slide into any wetsuit. Alternatively, hair conditioner is the lubricant often used when assisting adaptive divers and snorkelers into their exposure suit.

Waterproof W4 7mm or Deep6 7mm. Would encourage using either thin plastic grocery bags on your hands and feet to slide into any wetsuit. Alternatively, hair conditioner is the lubricant often used when assisting adaptive divers and snorkelers into their exposure suit.
Will look into waterproof. Is it true to size in terms of height and chest based on your experience? Deep 6 looks good but is too long for me. Thanks!

I dove with the Bare Evoke 7mm on a Galapagos liveaboard, and it was relatively easy to get in and out with the plastic bag trick.
I tried out several Bare 7mm (Elastek and Nixie I think) as well as a bunch of other brands, and chose the Bare Evoke because it was WAY easier to get in and out of!

I love my Bare Evoke. I can get in and out pretty easily, at most I have to wiggle a finger into the other end of the wrist or ankle seals.

If you run tall/lanky, I hear good things about the Henderson women's 7mm's too, but I haven't been able to try them personally cause I'm too short and stocky for any of their sizes to fit even remotely well

and for the ease of in and out you sacrifice insulation but gain dexterity

For the Bare Evoke, I've read that it was one of the warmest 7mm wetsuits, AND it's easy to don and doff. Anyways, I don't think there's necessarily always a trade-off between insulation and dexterity.

I bought a Waterproof W7 5mm wetsuit recently and I'm loving it. They do the same design in 7mm and there is an optional neck seal that can be fitted making it a semidry.

Very easy to don and doff as it has seals on the wrists and ankles with zippers on the outer neoprene. I have a review of it here Waterproof W7 5mm wetsuit - First impressions | ScubaBoard

Given the temps you quoted above I would personally be in a drysuit though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom