Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My condolences to you and your friend's family, and I'm so sorry you had to go through the horror.

Thank you for sharing the experience, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how terrifying it must be.

I was on the fence about Aggressor. I dived with them in Raja Ampat and Palau, and both went as smoothly as one could hope. But I've also heard issues with Aggressor fleet over the years, from mismanagement, cancelled trip to assault on female diver (travelling solo). This is the last straw. Be it actual Aggressor boat or franchised, I wouldn't take a trip with Aggressor because of the brand going forward, unless someone I know IRL and trust could vouch for it.

I'm also grateful for forums like scubaboard, where we could share experiences and create pressures on dive operators to do better when it comes to safety.

I for one, am NEVER going to go on a liveaboard again. There sorry, but I've said it. I wonder how many others feel the same. It is such a shame, but I am scared, for myself, for my family, my friends, and for diver friends I hope to meet one day in my travels.

I went on one amazing liveaboard trip aboard the Nautilus Swell near my home in beautiful British Columbia, Canada and I was smitten with the idea of taking a 2nd trip...

Then I booked what I thought was going to be my dream liveaboard trip ever - to Tubbataha, Philippines and of course now after reading about this event and the Conception fire in California, we got off easy. My detailed SB review of that hellish trip is here:

BAIT AND SWITCH: Oceanic III Liveaboard sold by All Star Liveaboards, Tubbataha

But really... this is all too much, too many accidents, on well respected and popular boats. I am so sad for those that have lost family, friends and loved ones in all of these needless tragedies. :(

You are kidding right? I agree we need to be diligent but you sound just like my old aunt who will never ever and has never flew in a plane since she was 20. shes in her 70s now. Because she read about a couple of planes crashing and people dying.

I am NOT belittling what happened. I did the exact same Conception trip last year.

But you had better never step on a plane again or get in a car.

One person died in egypt and we know what happened in my own state. That is a small sample compared worldwide in numbers. You can say what you said and do it but its not logical in any way.

Where you live people die EVERY single day in car accidents. I dont know how many in CA but it goes unnoticed.

dont ride a motorcycle dont get in a car dont go to a mall or movie theater either as people are attacked and killed in mass shootings there. Vegas....same.

If you write off liveaboards you write off part of all of our passion.

I do motorcycle trackdays, lightyears safer than motorcycles on the road yet people die there. I go hiking, people die from mountain lion maulings...this year....google it...EVERYTHING you do can and may kill you. Even loved ones, children husbands ....they kill family members. Best to live alone and board up the front door.

Please do not talk others into this

its not safe to try to eliminate risk.

do as dandy don and others state. be proactive.

carry detectors. bring a pfd into your sleep quarters. do whatever you need but the real scary thing is you are far more likely to die driving to work on a side street not even on the highway. my last girlfriend had an idiot turn into her and head on collide at 9 am on a weekday in a 35 mph zone and if she had not noticed in advance and braked she would be dead. as it was it was a year of therapy and migranes.

you cannot protect yourself from dying. It will happen. and we dont know when or where.

When I was on the Indo Aggressor in August this year I noticed the escape hatch on the lower level was tied shut with wire ties. In an emergency it was have been very difficult to escape. This is the type of nonsense you get from a company that acts as a middle man and doesn't own any of their own boats. After the fiasco with the Fiji Aggressor earlier this year, it's very apparent that this company could care less about its customer base. I will be spending all of money on other liveaboards now.
They do own many of their own boats. I’m not sure you can blame a management company half a world away for an action taken by a crew member when the local boat owner is on site.

Two hour sifts. Starting in Marine Corps boot camp, we always had a firewatch/guard walking the respective areas.
I knew I liked you some other reasons.

My condolences to you and your friend's family, and I'm so sorry you had to go through the horror.

Thank you for sharing the experience, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how terrifying it must be.

I was on the fence about Aggressor. I dived with them in Raja Ampat and Palau, and both went as smoothly as one could hope. But I've also heard issues with Aggressor fleet over the years, from mismanagement, cancelled trip to assault on female diver (travelling solo). This is the last straw. Be it actual Aggressor boat or franchised, I wouldn't take a trip with Aggressor because of the brand going forward, unless someone I know IRL and trust could vouch for it.

I'm also grateful for forums like scubaboard, where we could share experiences and create pressures on dive operators to do better when it comes to safety.

OMG Land Fish - I had no idea about those issues... Thank you for your condolences and sharing this with us. Your support and yes, forums like scubaboard give us divers the strength and platform we need to enact change. We deserve, Trish deserved better.

Unfortunately I have had confirmation that this is true. I was on the Susana aka Red Sea Aggressor I for two weeks last year and am so sad and shocked that this has happened to both the passengers and crew, which is second to none. It has also been corrected in numerous places that the American tourist did NOT go back for a laptop. Now we await the findings by authorities of the cause of the fire of this beautiful vessel.

Unfortunately I have had confirmation that this is true. I was on the Susana aka Red Sea Aggressor I for two weeks last year and am so sad and shocked that this has happened to both the passengers and crew, which is second to none. It has also been corrected in numerous places that the American tourist did NOT go back for a laptop. Now we await the findings by authorities of the cause of the fire of this beautiful vessel.

Worldwide news coverage of these events are minimal. Scubaboard has the power to reach a worldwide diving community within hours, but unfortunately the Conception tragedy was repeated only weeks later. Makes me wonder why it so hard to apply lessons-learned.

Has the body of Trish been recovered? I haven't read that anywhere (or I missed it). She needs to be brought home.....

After too many liveaboard trips to count, I always slept with a grab-bag with a dive torch, my passport, phone and credit card - and kept the cabin door open. A smoke detector positioned outside your cabin is also a good idea. I only ever needed to abandon ship due to a fire, once - but I knew where the escape routes were. (Same, same for any hotel room). Many years ago, I went with a friend to do a liveaboard trip to Catalina (I cannot safely remember which boat) and decided not to go when I saw the passenger accommodation. After a long period as a member of crew on a liveaboard, I had an insight into the very many things that could go wrong.

John, for many years I have followed the advise you gave me on this "ditch bag" precaution and also you going on about carrying a extendable dive flag, Regardless of location, if I am away from home I always have a ditch bag easily to hand, over the years I have needed it twice, Regardless of where you are or what you are doing, plan for the worse and hope for the best.

My thoughts are with the family of the lost diver.

Back
Top Bottom