Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am thinking of spending the "big Bucks" on a pair of split fins. But the problem is is that I dont know which pair os better Ive seen just the solid color kind (i tihnk they are apolos) and I've seen some long ones made by tusa that look really technical. So i was just wondering if you can tell me some stories about your fins and what you like or dont like about them? thanx

I tried Apollos, Atomics, and recently the new Aqualungs. I own the Atomics, but honestly I couldn't tell much difference in the 3 types I've tried. The Atomics are longer, which may be an issue when putting them in your bag. The Apollos are the real deal originals. The Aqualungs, the latest offerings with a shiny finish. Just grabb a few pairs and try them, make up your own mind. Foot-pocket drainage is a plus and consider the buckel system. I like the Atomics buckel system. They have a post and the hole strap comes off vs the typical quick-release system. If you broke the straps, it would be pretty easy to rig a bungee cord onto them.

Mares also has a set of splits that Ive tried and enjoyed, cant remember the model name, though.

Split fins or paddle fins, as they are sometimes called require practice in manuevering. You cannot turn on a dime unless you use your hands. Also, the chance of you kicking another diver are greater because they act like propellers (without the rudder!) and spread when you kick. Also, any diver will lose efficiency on the upstroke of a kick. EXCEPT...

with the Dacor Tiger fins, Mares Vollo, or the quite affordable Dacor Panther fins. These fins have channels in them, like most fins, but what makes them special is that they also have the OPB (Optimal Pivoting Blade). The blade is made in such a way that you will not lose effiency on the downkick or upkick. They are the easiest kicking fin and one of the most efficient on the market today.

Try them, and I promise you will like them!

Just my $.02

In every objective test done three names came to the top in evey catagory against all comers.Thet were Apollo,Atomic and the Scuba-Pro.I've used the S-P Twin-jets for about a year now.150-200 dives plus from 15' lobster dives to 30'no-vis hi-current fossil collecting to Spearfishing,Sightseeing and Wreck penetrations up to 130' to Cave and Deep to 240' or better.I had my 1st gripe this week.A buckle broke,and I'm not sure someone didn't step on it.Took it to the shop today(lifetime warranty from S-Pro) Problem solved.If I can hover over 2 feet of silt at 240'wearing 4 tanks weighing a total of #170 and do a 180 to retrace my line,that'll be manueverable enough for me.BTW the last pair most of my buddies had were Quattros cause they used to be the best.Also liesure- pro will sell them not much more expensive than the Quattros.

Ya'll just need to wake up and smell the beans folks...
He he - have fun no matter what you do - just know that you will have to pry my jets from my cold dead fingers...

Dane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom