Fins with straps or the other kind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchpickle

Contributor
Reaction score
I really like the fins that fit with a snug fit over your bare feet. If you are doing mostly boat diving they seem a lot less clunky than those ones with straps worn over the booties.

Why is it that almost everyone I see dives with the ones with straps?

I've got a pair of both. I take my full foot (closed heel) ones diving with me in the caribbean and my open heel ones when diving in up in the northeast. I know my LDS promotes the open heel ones to students because they're more versatile. When you go boat diving in the caribbean it doesn't really matter which type you use, but if you go shore diving in a place like Bonaire (where the beach is full of broken corals and rocks), you'll be happy that you've got booties on.

agree. if you need to wear protection, get an open heel fin. if you are only doing boat dives in warm water...closed heel will be fine.

I also prefer full-foot fins and I snorkel with them over a suit in the North Sea from the sandy shores of the Northumbrian coast in England. Just make sure that any full-foot fins fit comfortably over anything you are wearing on your feet. Back in the 1960s, when I began diving, people would purchase two differently sized pairs of fins, one to be worn barefoot, the other to be worn over bootees.

Back
Top Bottom