Fins too aggressive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the Atomics to be a very nice balance of feel (stiffness) while still being easy to kick. They have great control. I can scull and frog in them and never have any issues with cramping or fatigue. The foot pockets are super comfy and the strap system great. I really really like em.

I pesonally havent had an issue with accelleration with splits like some mention, and though I havent had them in a really ripping current yet, had no issues with the currents ive encountered.

sjspeck:
I haveTusa Xpert Zooms. Last summer at Vista Blue in Bonaire, we were caught in a ripping current - the fans/corals were bent over 90' - but I had no problem swimming against the current - and I'm not in the best of shape(big understatement).

Never mind.................

Not sure which pair of ScubaPro split fins you are talking about. ScubaPro has 2 types of split fins which comes in both full-foot and open heel.

1) ScubaPro Twin Speed Fins (full-foot) / ScubaPro Twins Speed Adjustable Fins (open heel)
2) ScubaPro Twin Jet full-foot / ScubaPro Twin Jet Adjustable Fins

Since you enjoy the ScubaPro split fins, you might actually consider getting the open heel version of what you like.

I never really try a pair of split fins myself but I did a lot of research and readings before choosing my fin. (Lots of nice information and recommendation on this site.) Fin kicks of the paddle fin (like the Blade II you referred to) and split fins are different. It is probably the differences which made you enjoy the split fins more.

People said that split fins are less demanding. But to get the most out of the split fins, short and fast kicks is recommended. This is especially true when doing through currents. For paddle fin, it is wide and strong kicks that drive give effective stokes. Anyway, hope this helps with your consideration on getting your fin.

I use a pair of Rocket Fin and I enjoyed it alot. Love the Jet Fin (not Twin Jet) alot too.

Amazon:
I tried a friends fins in the pool last night (Aqua Lung Blades II), and they were too aggressive for me. I was going to borrow them for my Bonair trip next month.

I have a pair of Scuba Pro full foot split fins. A little whimpy, but I don't get tired or cramp up either. With tons of shore diving approaching, I need open heel fins cuz I'll be wearing booties.
Thanks!!

I like my Scubapro Twin Jets. As near as I can tell, you can't frog kick with them, and they're not great for sudden chances in velocity, but they cruise with very little effort, and are very easy on the joints.

Since one of my knees gets grumpy when the weather changes and generally won't tolerate a stiff fin, I'm very happy with the Twin Jets.

I'd expect almost any reasonably soft split fin would work about as well.

Terry

jetfixer:
Maybe they made some unwanted advances? :D

You mean there are advances that are unwanted???

(Oh flashback to SMITTY!!!)

Ok, so that's finally settled. One pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins later and Amazons' world is spinning in the right direction again. I don't know about her but I'm still suffering a bit of sticker shock though. :shocked:

Dragon2115:
One pair of Atomic Aquatics split fins later and Amazons' world is spinning in the right direction again.

and i would guess you are... her husband? :eyebrow:

i know that feeling of pain all too well...

H2Andy:
and i would guess you are... her husband? :eyebrow:

i know that feeling of pain all too well...

That would be correct.

And I'm going to assume you meant pain over the cost of the fins... right?!? :eyebrow:

Now that you have a lot of good advice on the fin question, I'll add a little more to what Steve recommended about booties.

My last trip to Bonaire, I got a pair of slip-on warm water booties thinking of all the advantages they have in getting on and off and drying out. I ended up cussing them for having sand swirl into them on every entry. I swim out a ways and have to take fin and bootie off to get the grit out so it wouldn't irritate the whole dive. Grrr

Dennis

Thanks to all who responded. I ended up with a pair of Atomic Split Fins. I fit these to a pair of Henderson thick sole boots which I all ready had in preparation of the shore diving in Bonair.

Now my husband is eyeballing my new fins....will it ever end? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom