Fins too aggressive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tried a friends fins in the pool last night (Aqua Lung Blades II), and they were too aggressive for me. I was going to borrow them for my Bonair trip next month.

I have a pair of Scuba Pro full foot split fins. A little whimpy, but I don't get tired or cramp up either. With tons of shore diving approaching, I need open heel fins cuz I'll be wearing booties.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a open heel replacement? Split fin vs...?

Thanks!!

i have used two open-heeled fins, and loved them both, and can reccomend them
both. neither are split-fin:

1. Mares Avanti Quattro: very nice

2. ScubaPro JetFins: even better

I'm not sure what you mean by aggressive. (Before any smarty posts the defination--I know what the word means. :10: ) Do you mean that they are too much fin? You go too fast? I have heard a lot of people make comments about their fins before, just haven't heard aggressive applied to fins yet.

If you really like your split fins, why not stay with something similiar and get a pair of split open fins?

Ann Marie:
I'm not sure what you mean by aggressive. (Before any smarty posts the defination--I know what the word means. :10: )

Maybe they made some unwanted advances? :D

yes, they just woudn't take no for an answer! :eyebrow:

I found that it was hard for me to "kick" with them. The front of my ankles were not happy.

I don't know if it's because I haven't strapped on fins in 10 months...or I'm that out of shape that they were too hard to maneuver...

Amazon:
I tried a friends fins in the pool last night (Aqua Lung Blades II), and they were too aggressive for me. I was going to borrow them for my Bonair trip next month.

I have a pair of Scuba Pro full foot split fins. A little whimpy, but I don't get tired or cramp up either. With tons of shore diving approaching, I need open heel fins cuz I'll be wearing booties.

Thanks!!

Been diving with the Atomic split-fin for 3 years and they're open heal and toe and have a good strap/buckle system. They're not as stiff as some others and a bit lighter as well.

You wouldn't want the Atomic's, or any other split-fin for that matter, if you're looking for quick bursts of speed, but with the Atomic, once you're moving the effort to sustain is minimal.

The Blades or something similar would provide more quick power if you're looking for a quick burst of speed. Along with that comes a little more effort and fatigue.

Dive purest might say fins like the Blades are dive fins where split fins are more for distance swimming or speed swimming. At least that's what all the 'ole salty divers who don't ware split's tell me. Humm....

Thanks djanni. That's what I was considering - my LDS has them.

Amazon:
I don't know if it's because I haven't strapped on fins in 10 months...or I'm that out of shape that they were too hard to maneuver...

You're out of practice, and solid fins are harder to move in the water. They don't have a big split in the middle of the blade to vent resistance,

I do .05% of my diving in warm water, the last time I was there I picked up a cheap pair of US Divers fins from Wal-Mart because I didn't have anything to wear without booties. Best $19.99 I ever spent, had heel straps and multiple sizes to fit booties if desired, perfect for putzing around the reef and small enough you can practically walk in 'em.

Great...hubby saw my post...

But HONEY! I really need new fins!!! :10: hehehe

Amazon:

Thanks!!
I haveTusa Xpert Zooms. Last summer at Vista Blue in Bonaire, we were caught in a ripping current - the fans/corals were bent over 90' - but I had no problem swimming against the current - and I'm not in the best of shape(big understatement).

My buddy had a pair of Genesis splits(Blitz?) but he won a set of Tusa's and sold the Genesis, he mentioned the Tusa's were more pliable, required less effort, and he didn't notice any decrease in performance.

Get Good Treaded boots. The coral rubble and ironshore will tear you up. I'd even wear a 3mil to protect your ankles/shins. I didn't and have a permanent 4" reminder of my trip.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom