Fins for the weak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I would recommend the regular S/P twin Jet fins - the black ones.
They are not as stiff as the twin jet maxx and are MUCH easier on the legs.

Scuba divers are creatures of habit & of experience with a limited range of products. What they get used to is what they tend to recommend to others. I think that's too bad. What works for another is not the point, what matters is what's ideal for YOU. My wife was like you when she was getting started. Her instructor told her to get a medium priced pair of paddle-fins because that's what he recommended for all new students, because that's what he learned with, and because that's what the shop pushed on all new students. Her legs weren't up to kicking against a stiff fin & she needed something better (or she wouldn't make it through certification, much less become "a diver").

Although I was a fairly serious athlete, when I started diving my previous 8 knee surgeries had given me reason to research fins that would be easy on my knees. My research told me the Apollo Bio Pros were the most efficient fins on the market & also the easiest on a person's legs. I bought a pair years ago & have not been sorry.

Since "an expert" had told her she needed what he wanted to sell she was reluctant to take my advice (yes, she's pig-headed), so I bought her 9 pairs of fins when Leisurepro had one of their "free shipping" sales. We took the box of 9 pairs to the local pool & she compared one to another. I let her play with 8 of the pairs until she ruled out 6 of them then I had her test the remaining 2 against the Apollo fins.

When I had spent what she considered a fortune on my fins she told me she would never spend what I spent for my fins. Now that she had compared mid-priced fins to the best of the best she agreed with the Apollo Bio Pros. They were the easiest on her legs and they moved her faster through the water than anything else.

Yes, I hope you get in better shape so leg strength will be less of an issue. Even so, I want you to enjoy diving, be able to get around underwater, and not suffer while you are doing it. Take the time to read the many on-line comparisons of fins & see what head-to-head comparisons show. Then pick what's right for you. I strongly recommend you get yourself a pair of Apollo Bio Pros. If not them, go for another fairly soft but highly efficient set of fins like the Mares Avanti Superchannel.

Good luck & welcome to the underwater world!

Ron

Hi all, I just got my OW three weeks ago, and am looking out for a pair of fins.

I tried a pair of Oceanic V12s, which I loved for twenty consecutive minutes, but after that, found them way too big and heavy.

Next pair I tried were Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins, which are by no means heavy, but tend to float and screw up my buoyancy, and I find that I have to kick furiously towards the end of the dive (due to their stiffness or my lack of fitness).

So I'm wondering: Does anyone know of zippy-arsed fins for someone who doesn't have much leg strength? Or should I shut up and improve my leg strength?

Thanks

So I'm wondering: Does anyone know of zippy-arsed fins for someone who doesn't have much leg strength? Or should I shut up and improve my leg strength?

I'm not as strong of a swimmer as I once was but I don't have a strong opinion about fin type or brand. These days I bike a lot so my legs are as strong as ever. However, I would choose comfort over performance any day. For me, the foot pocket and boot/sock is more important that the fin. A keeper will be one that I can dive in for a week without blisters or calf cramps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom