Fins for the weak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leisuresuitlissy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got my OW three weeks ago, and am looking out for a pair of fins.

I tried a pair of Oceanic V12s, which I loved for twenty consecutive minutes, but after that, found them way too big and heavy.

Next pair I tried were Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins, which are by no means heavy, but tend to float and screw up my buoyancy, and I find that I have to kick furiously towards the end of the dive (due to their stiffness or my lack of fitness).

So I'm wondering: Does anyone know of zippy-arsed fins for someone who doesn't have much leg strength? Or should I shut up and improve my leg strength?

Force fins or any of the splits...
And I highly recommend you start a daily walk/exercise program of some sort.
TANSTAAFL applies.
><>

Last edited:
Thanks, yep, I walk a bit as it is, not enough though. Will ramp that **** up.

What's TANSTAAFL?

//Google knows everything.

My opinion is that you should improve leg-strength. You could also get paddle-style fins, and use frog-kicks, as that is much easier on your legs... Then you can alternate between different swimstyles if you get tired...

What's TANSTAAFL? //Google knows everything.

Google indeed knows everything. It referred me to

TANSTAAFL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

which told me in turn that "TANSTAAFL" expands to "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".

Diving isn't a competitive racing sport, unless you want it to be. Fins are generally worn for power, manoeuvrability or endurance, not speed. Individual models rarely combine all three criteria. If I want endurance, i.e. the ability to swim about for extended periods without tiring but also without covering long distances or reaching great depths, I use my Russian-made Alphaplastic Delphin fins, which are so comfortable that I almost forget I'm wearing them:

delfbig.jpg

I'm not a strong swimmer. I'm content to snorkel gently with these fins in the shallow waters of the North Sea. You have different priorities. I suggest you do some experimentation on your own, trying out various fins for fit first, then deciding what degree of blade flexibility is compatible with your leg strength. Don't settle yet on a model, or even a brand. Keep an open mind and see what works best for you. Be wary if a particular model is recommended, because that solution may meet other people's needs but not yours. Finding the perfect fins is something of an odyssey and nobody can make that journey for you.

Although I think you probably would benefit from working to increase your leg strength, I'll also say that I'm a lazy diver, and I like being a lazy diver. I have no need to move fast underwater, and the less I move my legs around, the longer my gas lasts.

So in addition to leg strengthening, I'd like to add some tips for reducing the workload on your legs: First off, dive slower! Many of the living things in the water survive by camouflage, and it's amazing how much more you see when you take your time. Second, be sure your gear is reasonably well balanced, so you don't have to fin constantly just to avoid rolling over or tipping head or feet down. Third, consider finding someone to show you the frog kick, which is a kick with a glide phase (and I at least find it much less effort than flutter kicking, for the same generated velocity).

Finally, make sure that, whatever fins you're wearing, they fit well. Fins that wobble on your feet waste your energy. Fins should feel like a solid extension of your leg.

Good luck with this -- and remember that a good way to strengthen your legs is to go diving often!

For sure I would use Force Fin original model fins.
Also try to get your trim and wts just right and think streamlined.
Dive a lot and have fun

Thanks. I've never used force fins. Heard too much negative press to spend all that money on a pair. Not to mention they look ridicurous.

//Can you do frog kicks with split fins?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. I've never used force fins. Heard too much negative press to spend all that money on a pair. Not to mention they look ridicurous.

//Can you do frog kicks with split fins?

Thanks

You CAN do frog-kicks with splits, but it is not very efficient compared to a decent paddle-fin...

The point with frog-kicks is that you kick once, and then glide for 2-5 seconds (or more) before you kick again... Very relaxing... But efficient frog-kicking requires really good buoyancy-control and trim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom