Fins For Current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49north

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for recommendations for an open heel, warm water travel fin that would work well in current.

The fins I use right now in warm water are some old beat up plastic Scubapro fins. I have no idea what model they are. The fins I use in cold water are the DGX Classic fins. There is a HUGE difference in the amount of power that the DGX fins will generate.

On a recent trip to Cozumel, when trying to swim back a few feet against a mild current to look at something the DM pointed out, I found it very tough going. My finning skills are far from perfect, but there is a distinct lack of power from my old
Scubapros.

The Deep 6 Eddy fins have got my attention since they look like a travel friendly version of the DGX fins. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I found the Quattros similar in performance to the DR XTs but in a lighter package. Unfortunately if you want power in a current you either need powerful legs or long fins. FWIW the DR XTs are my favourite wetsuit fin local and travel.

Is the SEARCH function broken on the site? This question just "may" have been asked before.

I found the Quattros similar in performance to the DR XTs but in a lighter package. Unfortunately if you want power in a current you either need powerful legs or long fins. FWIW the DR XTs are my favourite wetsuit fin local and travel.

Thanks for your opinion. I recall in a previous thread that you had a very long list of fins that you have tried. I will give those a closer look.

Is the SEARCH function broken on the site? This question just "may" have been asked before.

It has, however, I was not able to find much on how the shorter fins like the Eddy would work in current.

I've tried a few shorter fins in my quest for the "perfect" travel fin. All were fine unless I hit currents moderate and above at which time I wished I had longer fins.

The space saving and weight saving using smaller fins is not that big, there are always other ways to save weight. For me now the savings offered by shorter lighter fins is less of a benefit than having longer fins more capable in a wider variety conditions.

Shorter fins I've tried, F2, Hotshots, Accels, large Jets, Revos, small XTs and Rocket 3s, I'd not choose any of those over the DR XTs if I was expecting to encounter any sort of current. FWIW I'm a small guy.

I use Original Force Fins as my travel fins. They are easy to pack, lightweight, have comfortable foot pockets. From diving with my club members on warm water trips, the FF's are definitely above average in power and performed well in Cozumel currents.

My DR XTs performed really well in Cozumel current. My wife's Atomic blades did really well too. She is way fast in those fins. My fat self has to work to keep up.

My current (pun) fins-of-choice are DiveRite XTs and Deep Six Eddys, sometimes Hollis F2s.
I almost exclusively use a frog kick. The first two work fine in currents, perhaps the XTs are slightly better, the F2s suck.
For travel, the F2s win, Eddys almost as light and short. The XTs suck.
For coolness and admiring comments from others, the orange Eddys win hands down, especially when worn with my Chuck Taylor Converse neoprene-upper All Stars with bright orange laces.
All in all, I've been using the Eddys if I go somewhere on an airplane. The XTs go with me if I drive (like to cave country). I'm going to try the Eddys in a cave in January, however.
I'm short, mid-weight, strong legs, small feet.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like either the XTs or the Eddys would be suitable. The Eddys may be worth a try as they are on sale right now for $75 (half the price of the XTs).

If it makes a difference, I am a lightweight with stick legs, but they are strong as I run quite a bit.:)

Back
Top Bottom