Fins for a novice diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azam0019

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got my Advanced Padi Diving Licence and would like to invest in a good pair of fins. Till now I always dived with paddle fins, which I rented. They were ok but a little bit hard to paddle with - may be because I still need to get used to a set of personal fins and to the sport. For you to give me a better advice, I think you'd better know that I am quite petite.

First what kind of diving are you doing? Warm/Cold water. Boat/Beach, Fresh/Salt. Many factors to consider. Give us some info on that stuff and then we can give you some recommendations

Sincerely,
Leisure Proski

I just got my Advanced Padi Diving Licence and would like to invest in a good pair of fins. Till now I always dived with paddle fins, which I rented. They were ok but a little bit hard to paddle with - may be because I still need to get used to a set of personal fins and to the sport. For you to give me a better advice, I think you'd better know that I am quite petite.

'quite petite' ?male.......hmmm, don't believe I've ever met one of those.....If so, you've got to post a pic......:D

Good fins last a very long time. I still own the first pair I bought after certifying, a pair of paddle fins that I abandoned for a few years for the same reasons you described. Thankfully, I kept them so that they were still around when I grew disenchanted with the ones I had bought to replace them.

When I first started diving, the kind of fin I had didn't matter too much to me, and when I developed an arthritic knee, I wanted something that was easier to kick. I was pretty much flutter kicking in a straight line the whole time, so ease of kicking was my main concern. It was, in fact, my only concern.

When I finally had knee replacement surgery and suddenly had knees nearly as good as new, my life changed. I started getting into more complex diving, and that meant more complex kicking. I started doing a lot of frog kicking, helicopter turns, and back kicking. Suddenly, I needed very specific fins--stiff paddles. I recently tried some not-so-stiff paddle fins in the pool, and I was shocked by the difference--it took me at least twice the kicks to cross the pool at half the speed of normal while back kicking.

So, if I were you, I would think long and hard about what you see as your future in diving, at least for the next few years. If you see yourself as a straight ahead flutter kicker for the foreseeable future, then go ahead and get a nice, easy kicking fin. Split fins are fine for that.

If you think you are going to do more complex diving, or if you see yourself diving in areas where flutter kicking is going to raise a silt cloud around you, then you want to stick with the stiffer paddles.

'quite petite' ?male.......hmmm, don't believe I've ever met one of those.....If so, you've got to post a pic......:D

I missed where the gender was specified--can you point it out?

Sorry, so I;m a female. I will dive in warm water, boat and beach and salty water. I just want to have fun and enjoy it as a hobby. Improve much more but not going into too much technical diving.

jorgy,i haven't tried those yet,but one of my adv. students just got a pair
he loves them!!!!!!
have you tried them kicking a drysuit around with doubles????
look wierd,for sure!
thanks
yaeg

jorgy,i haven't tried those yet,but one of my adv. students just got a pair
he loves them!!!!!!
have you tried them kicking a drysuit around with doubles????
look wierd,for sure!
thanks
yaeg

Wow--I am having trouble picturing that!

Canton, N.Y. huh? Brrr.

I may be there in late May (or whenever) for reunion this year. Hope the snow is gone by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom