Fins for a novice diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not with doubles......

But no issues with a drysuit and LP95.......

The Novas are the best fins I own.......I own SP Twin Jets (splits), SP Lighting Jets and Hollis F1s......

Lightweight for easy travel, great foot pocket, fast and good control........helicopter turns and frog kick work great.......I can't go backwards with any fin type (yet)....

No leg strain........and they come standard with bungee straps......:D

M

Talk with your local dive shop owner and see if they'll let you try out a few different styles of fins.

I initially bought split fins with an open back which do not work well in heavy current. They also aren't too great if you have to apply a little speed to get to something...I spearfish so being able to ramp it up is needed.

I also have a pair of full foot paddle style fins by Mares which I use all the time for snorkling and freediving. There are no straps for the dive flag line or float line to get caught on. I really like them for what I use them for but they aren't great for scuba.

Because I didn't like the split fins, I switched to the Scuba Pro Nova Wings and I really like them. They took about 4 dives to get used too but I love them now. I'll never use anything else for scuba. The Nova wings have an open back, a foot pocket that covers the entire bottom of the foot (which I think allows better power transfer to the fin), and the fins don't tire my knees or ankles.

Just my thoughts...good luck.

I just got my Advanced Padi Diving Licence and would like to invest in a good pair of fins. Till now I always dived with paddle fins, which I rented. They were ok but a little bit hard to paddle with - may be because I still need to get used to a set of personal fins and to the sport. For you to give me a better advice, I think you'd better know that I am quite petite.
How well coordinated are you? The industry completely avoids this issue, but coordination IS a big part of what fins will work well for you....A very athletic person who learns new physical skills quickly---SHOULD be able to get much better results with some of the fins...fins that were created for more athletic divers...
You could say there are 2 sides of this spectrum...the side for divers without physical fitness, or with knee damage, or other medical condition that prevents them from acheiving higher levels of fitness for kicking....

and the side for people that are very active and fit, and who are happy to train fitness and skills for diving....

If you fall into the first group, by all means, go with Splits or better ( better meaning Force Fins)..fins designed for this group of people...Although Force Fins actually designs some models for ultra fit people as well....

If you fall into the second group, and you do not plan on ANY cave diving as part of your typical diving, then freedive fins are by far better....they require some learning of the proper coordination, but after a few days, the athletic person will kick more efficiently, with more power and more speed, with less muscular effort and less Heart rate and less breathing rate ( meaning longer bottom times when diving with other divers with traditional fins or splits). Cressi 3000 LD would be the soft bladed model to start with....and not hard to find.

Personally, I get pissed when a dive store does not carry ANY freedive fins, but that's just me :D

Regards,
DanV

p.s.
There are plenty of good divers with split fins.....the ad campaigns were very effective....There are several in the Florida area I intend to "turn" to the dark side...the freedive fins side....I own several pairs of freedive fins, so am in a good position to have buddies try out the real deal.....there is one with a split lip I have been meaning to help with this :D....

Not with doubles......

But no issues with a drysuit and LP95.......

The Novas are the best fins I own.......I own SP Twin Jets (splits), SP Lighting Jets and Hollis F1s......

Lightweight for easy travel, great foot pocket, fast and good control........helicopter turns and frog kick work great.......I can't go backwards with any fin type (yet)....

No leg strain........and they come standard with bungee straps......:D

M
My local dive shop offered me a free trial with the seawing nova so i will try them and see how they work.
@ danvolker: I am a fit and have no physical problems but still not very powerful in water. I intend to improve this. I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks

Do Scuba pro Seawing Nova help in currents? And my local shop suggested also the Seac Propulsion which are much cheaper than Seawing Nova. What do you think of them? Price is an issue but I would prefer great comfort and spending a little bit more since I am looking for those fins which last me longer in terms of both durability and also after I'll improve my capabilities in water.

Thanks again for those who are helping with their advice.

Though I have not learned how to control them, I will say that the seawing novas are fast with the flutter kick, and they do not take much effort.
Get Wet!

THe Seac Propulsion fins look like standard paddle fins more or less......

Certainly nothing wrong with that.......if cost is an issue than they may be a great option.

But I would not say that the Seac are not the same as the Novas......

Dose the dive shop have a pair of Seac's you could try for a few dives and see if they work for you?

Novas handle current without an issue.......

M

@ Jorgy: At the local diveshop, I can only try the Seawing Nova - they only have those as trial fins.

@oggy666: I received positive feedback from Tusa Z3.

I was also suggested to use the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex. May be I can start off with them, till I improve and then switch to more expensive fins. Any opinions on this regards?

The TUSA TRI-EX was a 2004 best buy.......from the 2005 fin review.....

(5) TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex. Lightweight, powerful and comfortable, this paddle fin was a favorite among test divers. And, thanks to a low retail price, it was a Best Buy.

Herre is the link to the full article.....

2005 Fin Test | Scuba Diving Magazine

Hope this helps......M

PS.......I am still a real Nova fan.....still overall the best fin I used......:wink:

Back
Top Bottom