Finger Spool or Reel for Deploying SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to add an SMB to my kit (thanks to everyone for explaining the benefits to me) and was wondering what sort of spool/reel to get. My LDS mostly has only finger spools; the only reel (like a fishing rod) it has is pretty big.

One of the people at the shop showed me how to deploy and reel in the SMB using a finger spool, but it looked like a bit of a pain to lock and reel back in compared to the reel one of my dive buddies on my Galapagos liveboard had.

Any recos on whether to go with a finger spool or reel? Particular brand or model recommendations are also appreciated. BTW, I'll mostly be using this for 15' safety stops -- I don't think I'll generally be deploying it much deeper than that.

Thanks!

Allwaysl used a 3" enclosed pvc one, no handle with 50 ft of line with different sized knots for stops. Because I had it. Bought a 3" stainless frame with handle one yesterday. The theory here is that you try and look below, drop the reel, not on someones head, holding the bag, then deploy letting the line run through your fingers until you get your reel back? Some sort of tangle prevention thing. Haven't used a spool yet. I'll see. My best brand is an Alpha, but thats a best brand here brand. Cheers.

I vote for spool.
For 15 ft of line (or even 80), the reel is overkill - and I've yet to see a reel which fits in a pocket.

Spool! Either 75' or 100'. They are a very compact piece of gear that you will actually take with you on every dive. A decent spool is way cheaper than a decent reel. Any brand will work to get you started, the main difference being brass vs stainless steel double-end clips and quality (i.e. longevity) of the line on the spool. Material of the spool itself (usually PVC or delrin) factors in for cost, too, but I'm not sold on how much it matters.

I'm going to add an SMB to my kit (thanks to everyone for explaining the benefits to me) and was wondering what sort of spool/reel to get. My LDS mostly has only finger spools; the only reel (like a fishing rod) it has is pretty big.

One of the people at the shop showed me how to deploy and reel in the SMB using a finger spool, but it looked like a bit of a pain to lock and reel back in compared to the reel one of my dive buddies on my Galapagos liveboard had.

Any recos on whether to go with a finger spool or reel? Particular brand or model recommendations are also appreciated. BTW, I'll mostly be using this for 15' safety stops -- I don't think I'll generally be deploying it much deeper than that.

Thanks!

I bought the Zeagle SMB, spool and bag set. It's all set up with the bolt-snap, all you do is attach it with zip ties to the back of your BC between the BC and the wing. It's always there and out of the way. To deploy you just pull down on the strap and the SMB and spool pull out.

Adam

If you are shooting a bag from 15 feet, then you can simply lock the line off on the spool, and then surface and spool up the small amount of line you have out while you are waiting to reboard. No need to deal with winding up while you are ascending, if you don't want to.

A spool is smaller and easier to stow in a pocket, and is much less painful to lose . . . :)

Spool for reasons mentioned above and if you learn to master working a spool, then a reel for any future needs will be that much easier. I've been using a spool for up to 150' just for the skills practice.

Are spools harder to lock the line in place than the reels?

I use a small spool marker buoy. I deploy the marker while its clipped to one of my D-rings, the SMB is stored clipped to the marker line, inflate the SMB and let it go. Very little chance of loosing either even with 5mm gloves as everything is clipped and secured before its deployed. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom