#18 or #24 Line for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typically, just for the 15 foot safety stop. Possibly deeper in the event of an irregularity that ends the dive.
you'll find it easier to shoot from deeper. I'd recommend within reason just shooting it prior to starting your ascent. You can put way less gas in it to have it fully inflated on the surface, and you're marking your position earlier for the boat to come get you and in the event of someone having a loss of buoyancy control while shooting it it's more likely to be resolved before you find yourself in boat propeller range.

I'd recommend getting a 150ft delrin spool and taking 30 to 50ft of line off of it and sticking with #24 line.

you'll find it easier to shoot from deeper. I'd recommend within reason just shooting it prior to starting your ascent. You can put way less gas in it to have it fully inflated on the surface, and you're marking your position earlier for the boat to come get you and in the event of someone having a loss of buoyancy control while shooting it it's more likely to be resolved before you find yourself in boat propeller range.

I'd recommend getting a 150ft delrin spool and taking 30 to 50ft of line off of it and sticking with #24 line.
Thanks

I ran #36 on all my spools and small Manta DSMB reel. Not as finicky as 18 or 24, easier to spool, and better feel with thick gloves in low to zero vis.

Back
Top Bottom