Finding a mask to seal on my bearded face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a poseidon blackline mask, (the XS scuba crew mask is the same mold/design). No issues with leaking and I keep my beard/moustache for the most part crazy and unkempt. Even when I had an aqualung technica mask, I never had more than a slight tickle of water at my nostrils.

I have issues with my mustache and mask leaking. I trim my mustache to prevent mask leaking. No other solution has worked for me.
Wolverine approves your choice of mutton chops.

6B93DAF3-6838-4028-9876-80182638492C.jpeg

Agree with those that say u get used to it... Some dives worse than others. I remember a guy on a boat asking me if he could have my mask cuz it must be great. I looked at him amused and said, nah, it leaks plenty ..

Full beard and stache and a smear of silicone grease on top of stache works fine no trimming required

my boss has had a full beard forever. he always recommends trimming the stache to one length and then use either a lot of chap stick, or a lot of good thick snot. never has an issue. lol

I have had several masks, and they all let in the mustache water a bit. I trim a little space between the stache and the nose to reduce the leakage, but what I actually rely on is blowing a puff of gas out my nose every so often with my facial muscles twisted just enough to open a little gap for the water to exit. Train, practice, and soon you will do it so easily you'll hardly even notice.

Face fuzz here, as some have said, trim under your nose [I do about 5-6mm] and finding the right mask for you, try a many as you can, borrow from friends that dive [if you have any] just don't get into the never ending cycle of buying a new mask every time one leaks.
You become an expert at clearing masks with facial hair.
And not always the most expensive mask works for me.
you will get X brand or Y brand is best on this site, a good fit is key, not the money you spent on it.
Just my 2 bubbles.

I just turn my beard into mutton chops for the duration of a dive trip.

I'm bringing them back!

I have always had a large bushy moustache. Many years ago I took a class from Sheck Exley, (who had a moustache also), and he gave me some Dow Corning 111 Silicone Grease to use on my moustache and since then my mask has NEVER leaked. I buy a large tube and it lasts over 100 dives. It is a bit messy if you are not careful but it works!

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Ring-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B08P5RJVLW

...what I actually rely on is blowing a puff of gas out my nose every so often with my facial muscles twisted just enough to open a little gap for the water to exit. Train, practice, and soon you will do it so easily you'll hardly even notice.

Aah, so that's how people do the no-hands mask clear?
I've never tried... one-handed is the best I can do 😁

Back
Top Bottom