Find-a-buddy sites for PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PriusDrIVER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any good sites for finding dive buddies that I should be looking at? Unfortunately my significant-other has determined that breathing underwater is not for her, so I am in need of finding some dive buddies. I spent time and money on making sure equipment wouldn't be a limiting factor, but the LDS doesn't sell dive buddies at any reasonable rate (maintenance on those things are spendy!). The sites that I have found so far seem to be pretty out of date, with people not updating their info for years.

Any good sites that cover the PNW for dive buddies besides right here? As for my experience, I'm new with only 12-dives to date certifying on 10/29. I look to complete the SSI Master Diver requirements by end of February, which means I have ~2-months to get 38+ dives in. I'm hoping to either find someone in the Portland area that wants to car pool to sites (split the 48mpg fuel bill), or someone that just wants to meet at the site.

I want to find someone that is familiar with more of the sites in the NW, such as Edmonds, Sund Rock, etc. I know that the PNW has some great diving, and I want to get out there and experience it.

Thanks!
-russel

It also works pretty well to post here if you're headed up to the Seattle area (or Puget Sound in general). There are quite a few people who dive regularly and are happy to show a newcomer our sites (myself included, and Bob (above) as well).

Thanks, thats great to hear. I guess its just a matter of figuring out which weekend works best for me to make it up to Seattle.

Thanks again.

Outstanding to hear that there's an active local diving community up there. I'll probably be moving to the Bremerton area within the next year or so and can't wait to get the drysuit back out. Hasn't gotten much use down here in the southeast.

Nick

I don't know many dive sites, but I'm all for carpooling and doing alot of diving. I am from eugene.

Wow! I have a job offer in the PNW they sent me an open ended plane ticket..its sitting on on my desk. I would like to consider the diving before taking a serious run at the job.
I have no drysuit experience but I am a quick study!

Well, within a thirty minute drive of my house, I have a good half-dozen diveable sites and a couple of really nice ones. Within an hour and a half, you're probably talking thirty or more. Puget Sound is diveable most days of the year, with the exception of the worst storms, although the visibility can vary from excellent to pretty disgusting. There's a HUGE community of active divers of every possible sort -- We were falling over one another at the Edmonds Underwater Park this morning!

There is a ton of life in our cold, green water, including wolf eels and giant pacific octopus, but also many varieties of rockfish, many nudibranchs, tons of crabs and starfish, molluscs, swimming scallops that make me laugh, and in the summer, huge schools of shiner perch and tubesnouts that glitter in the sunlight.

There may be better places to live for a diver, but this has got to be one of the top ones, so long as you can cope with a lot of exposure protection and low visibility.

Wow, an open end plane ticket...well, come on down.
This has got to be some of the best diving in the world...on a daily basis.
Anywhere on the sound you have several dive sites to choose from, a few charters(depending on where you want to go), 3 hours up to Nanimo...5 to Porpise Bay...the diving just doesn't get any better and it is so diverse...walls, basins, shallows, deep, tech, rec, whatever your regulator desires...
Yes, you do need some exposure gear...but it is well worth it to dive some of the most beautiful places year round.
Let us know when you want to dive, there are plenty of us who like to show the "imports" around and get them used to our beautiful waters.
K

I have to agree with TSandM and ScubaK ~ Great diving around here and its not often hard to round up a few buddies to get out and dive with you.

I know of several Portland area divers who come up often.

I have considered relocating several times these last few years.
It always comes down to is diving available?
Nothing has had both a job and diving that is even close to the Puget Sound.

Typical dive time line:
20 minutes to load gear in car.
20-40 minutes to drive to several GREAT dive sites.
20-60 minutes to gear up ~ depends on the buddies and how much we need to catch up on.
40-60 minutes dive ~ shallow, deep, wolf eels, crabs, sea stars, fish, octopus ~ to name a few critters that are typically seen on almost every dive.
60 minutes or so SI ~ eating and gabbing with buddies. Meeting new dive buddies or explaining to nondivers that YES it really is FUN.
40-60 minute dive ~ again... 2 dives at the same site is easy to do so much to see
20-60 minutes hosing off and loading now wet salty gear in car.
Several hours out of a day that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Come on out and visit ~ Lots of dive sites even more potential dive buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom