finally upgrading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to admit I don't know why Conshelf second stages don't get more respect.....especially when something like a Kirby Morgan Super Flow is almost universally considered one of the best regulators ever made.....and all that is is a Conshelf with an adjustment knob.

Thanks everyone for the input. I know some time back I asked about rebuild kits for my Conshelf, AL says they no longer support it, and the response then was that I had about the best equipment I could find in spite of its age. I have a dive coming up this weekend, taking a boat out of Jax Beach and usually those dives run in the 70ft plus range, so I'll reevaluate my opinion of my reg. It may be just that it needs to be better tuned, though I have no idea of how to do that and rely on my shop.
Speaking of which, are there any good resources for learning to work on my own gear? All the BS aside, there is no difference in me working on it, using the best information available, and someone else working on it. I have worked on and built lots of high tech complicated equipment - electronic and mechanical - and have no doubt I can do a good job with this as well. I am smart enough not to tear it apart without knowing what I am doing though, I understand the risks and would like some education first.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

Some followup info, I do know it is a Conshelf 30. it is the spaceship design with the 1/2" ports. It took a bit of searching but I found some adapters and bought several. U.S. Divers Conshelf 30 is prominently displayed on the knob, not the 1st stage itself.
I will probably have to find a rebuild kit via alternate means because during a conversation i had with AL last season they told me they would no longer be supporting it. I was told parts from other regs would fit, but dont know which ones yet.

The the current Titan/Conshelf 900001 kit is the one you want.
Since your 1st stage has 3 1/2" ports you will be 2 orings short for the LP hose ends.....not really a problem since these very rarely need changing.

The the current Titan/Conshelf 900001 kit is the one you want.
Since your 1st stage has 3 1/2" ports you will be 2 orings short for the LP hose ends.....not really a problem since these very rarely need changing.

Those are 013 size in 70 durometer, very easy to find if you do need them.

Some followup info, I do know it is a Conshelf 30. it is the spaceship design with the 1/2" ports. It took a bit of searching but I found some adapters and bought several. U.S. Divers Conshelf 30 is prominently displayed on the knob, not the 1st stage itself.
I will probably have to find a rebuild kit via alternate means because a during conversation i had with AL last season they told me they would no longer be supporting it. I was told parts from other regs would fit, but dont know which ones yet.

Not sure what the second stage is on the 30 but if it's like the Royal Aqualung (not the RAM double hose) second stage then there may be some truth to not getting parts for the second stage. The Royal Aqualung first is the same spaceship design. I have one (Royal AL second stage) on the bench that I will get to some day but a quick look at it, it's a different beast than anything else AL did. Does your second stage have a lot of 2 different sized round holes around the paremeter? If so, then it's likely the same reg as the Royal Aqulung.
The first stage is a different matter, with the exception of the oring mentioned above, all the parts that routinely need replacing are the same as the Conshelf/Titan.
By the way, I have service manuals and exploaded views for the Royal Aqualung first and second stages. Good chance they are the same as the CS 30.

I believe that those funky 2nd stages were recalled and swapped for the regular 1st gen plastic ones.
They're probably collectables......I've only had one and wish I still had it.

OK, so now y'all have me curious about my gear. the 2nd stage is metal, aluminum I am pretty sure, non magnetic anyway. It has the old USDivers label, yellow tank on black background with double hose, and the name Conshelf 30 on it. I have always been proud of it, lasting as long as it has and being so durable. One of the reasons I have held onto it is because it is metal, not plastic. I am starting to think maybe I will just get a new 2nd stage and keep my current 1st and 2nd. I currently use an autoinflator/regulator combo that has a consistent leak that the shop cant repair for whatever reason. Switching back to a standard autoinflator and using my current 2nd with a new one for back up may be a good idea.
What struck me most about the deal I found here on the board was the combo of a high end computer and a very good reg, for a good price.
Not so sure about the HOG/Edge, dont know enough about them and trying to learn more. Will continue to look.

Are you reading the model number from the 1st stage yoke knob or the 2nd stage purge button?
What's the body of your 2nd stage made from?
Does it have a big adjustment knob in the outside?
I have seen a black painted metal faceplate 2nd stage combined with a 30.

Another possibility is it's a regular chrome plated marine brass USD second with the purge from the original inserted.

Redundant message deleted

---------- Post added April 28th, 2013 at 07:19 PM ----------

The model number for the 1st is on the yoke knob, the 2nd is on the purge button. Both are as I bought them in 1985, no mods or alterations, just tune ups. The 2nd stage appears to be aluminum, with a black purge button, also aluminum. I say aluminum because in spite of the scratches there is no rust and it is too light to be stainless or brass, but I could be wrong on that. Non magnetic anyway.
No adjustments of any kind on either one. 2nd has a band around it with a screw to hold it closed.

Back
Top Bottom