finally upgrading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevenkimbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving the same Aqualung Comshelf 30 (the flying saucer shaped 1st stage and aluminum 2nd stage) since 1985. I have loved them, but find breathing at depth a bit more work lately as I have gotten older at the same rate it has.
I saw an oceanic DT3 sport in my local shop and was interested, but i wanted to make sure i got the best deal. with the life span of my last reg i figure my next one should last till i am ready to quit diving (as if!).
anyway, while looking for info on regs, i came across an ad on scubaboard for an oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10 with a Pro Plus II computer for only $600.00. about twice what i would pay for the DT3, but it seems like so much better a deal, according to the add they have been used about 20 times. the picture seems to verify this, they both look in good condition.
any thoughts on this y'all?

really good deal.

you may have to get it serviced so budget another $100 or so.

I don't think the GT3 is an upgrade over what you have. It appears to be an unbalanced first stage with an unbalanced adjustable downstream second. This is a better upgrade and deal.

EDIT: If you want a computer you can get the Hollis DG03 for $250.

Last edited:
I was talkingabout the Delta 4 with the computer, not the Gt3 Sport.

New the EDGE Epic is a awesome deal at $299.

I was talking about the Delta 4 with the computer, not the Gt3 Sport.

I know, but given the cost of servicing, I don't think it is a good deal. He can buy new for the same price unless there is more to the $600 deal.

Are you sure your conshelf is tuned at it's best? Regulators do not "age" in the sense that they can always be rebuilt to perform at least as well as they did when new. And regulators have not really improved much over the last few decades. I"m not sure what kind of 2nd stage your conshelf has, (it's probably not aluminum, it's probably chromed brass) but the conshelf 1st stage is one of the classics, with a design that has lasted several decades and is still used to today on the aqualung titan, a perennial best-buy new regulator.

I'd have a hard time spending $600 on a used regulator and computer combo and thinking it's a good deal, unless there's something really special about that computer AND it had some sort of warranty. Just because something is very expensive new (like a $1000 dive computer) doesn't mean that spending $500 for it used is a good deal, unless you really want that specific computer. There are plenty around that do the job for recreational diving much less expensive.

Why don't you wait for some of the conshelf fans like herman, Luis, or Nemrod to post on this thread, they know a lot about the specific models.

Thanks for the input. I know the COnshelf is a good reg, has always been and has a lot of life left in it. What i have noticed is that it takes more effort to breath at depths of 70 feet or more than regs that are balanced. I have no other real complaints about it and plan to keep the 2nd stage as my back up. no matter what i choose to do, i have no fear of diving the conshelf, anytime to any depth.

waiting for input from others more familiar with my rig is a good idea. hoping some will chime in.

Couple of thoughts here. First off, the Conshelf first is balanced and if it's working properly you should not notice any difference at rec depths. 99% of the breathing characteristics of a reg are in the second stage, the first has little to do with it. If you want to improve the reg, the second stage is where you want to spend your money.
That said, if it were mine and I wanted a better reg, I would keep the Conshelf first because frankly there are no better first on the market today and replace the second stages. For a little over $100 you could replace the second stage with a brand new hog adjustable or if you want to stay more old school, a rebuilt Scubapro 109 can be had for half that or less. If you want to stay AL, you can buy Titan second stages or go with an Apeks. Don't confuse old with less performance. A Conshelf first hooked to a good second like the 109 will hold it's own with any reg on the market today and will still be diving when they are piles of trash.

You would be better off staying with the Conshelf (if what you have is a Conshelf) but if new is what you want, a Titan XL is under the 600 dollars. Of course it is just a plastic Conshelf and it's breathing characteristics are top notch, just like the Conshelf.

I do not completely agree the 109 is better breather than a Conshelf second. The Conshelf has a larger exhaust valve and noticeably easier exhaling as a result. The 109, especially the Balanced Adjustable version, has a higher parts count. I am not sure I agree the Conshelf is the better first stage, I will flip flop and say the Mark V and it's successors are probably better performers. However, either a Conshelf or SP 109/MarkV set are the equal of just about anything made today.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom