Finally pulled the trigger on Roatan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, that pretty much sums it up... Although I seriously doubt all the dolphins there were born in captivity... While I was there they were talking about the dolphins being part of a research program... When I asked the trainers what kind of research they conducted.... All I got was Hummm... welll.... behaviour... You know tricks and performing skills... Basically showmanship...

Anyways... As I said above, Not trying to judge anybody!:coffee: Just wanting people to know about it so they can make their own decision about it!:coffee:

I think if you do a search on this forum, you will find a few threads on this topic. Not all of the the dolphins are let out at any time, and with some of their pod held, they will come back.

All of the dolphins at AKR were born in captivity, so there aren't any truly wild dolphins there. They do get all of their food in their pens. But its only the best of the best, Of all of the fish they bring in every day, only the top 20% goes for the dolphins. The rest is used to chum the water off the dive boats every day. I always found it amazing how many more fish were at the exit point of the dives. The reason was because the boat captain was feeding them while we were out with the DM.

My wife is a chicken-a-tarian. No seafood, no anything that had parents with the exception of Chicken. Is she going to have trouble finding a good meal?

Also, is deep woods off our best bet to keep the sand flies away. I've seen some posts about Cactus Juice but havent come across it here thus far.

Deep woods is what I have used and have never had a problem. Works great. However Cactus juice I have had a problem with.

Deet works well on mosquitoes, but it totally failed me for the noseeums on Utila once.

Deet is destructive to reefs. Can kill corals and other marine life. Try to find brands that use picardin instead of deet. I haven't seen studies on Picardin's effects on the reefs, but it does work well against the no-see-ums.

Deet is destructive to reefs. Can kill corals and other marine life. Try to find brands that use picardin instead of deet. I haven't seen studies on Picardin's effects on the reefs, but it does work well against the no-see-ums.
I used to think & say that, hell you might have even heard it from me, but I think maybe I had it confused with sunblock. There really does not seem to be any evidence that Deet is bad on the reefs when used correctly.

For sunblock, biodegradable is important.

Half right. Picaridin is great for no-see-ums. But, Deet does no more harm to the environment than snot. No published articles on the supposed ill-effect of Deet on reefs. Just pure myth.

Extreme zipline is awesome. I did it a few weeks ago. Wow. I'm scared of heights and that was an amazing rush. The first platform is simply unbelievable. (The ride in the 4WD to the top is almost as good. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom