Finally pulled the trigger on Roatan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... Also go to Oakridge and do the water taxi to the floating bar!

What? No tanked-up videos?

Looks interesting, but maybe the ... Mangrove Canals Tour are more my speed.

The are, essentially, one and the same stepping-off point. The Mangrove Tour from Oak Ridge can mean stopping at several different local bars on stilts... just to glide by and pick-up beers for the ride. Or possibly buy a gallon of gasoline poured out of a whiskey bottle. If you're not drinking beer, it would be a great idea to byob, that includes water and Diet Coke. Use DEET and wear sun protection, bring your camera.

These water taxis can be hired for any use, including trips around the East including Morat and Helena Islands, even out to Barbaretta. We have hired them for taking advanced divers off into unusual dive locales. Best bet is to stick to using them for a few hours on the Mangrove Tour.

Let's say, for the sake of discretion, it is a Persian Den of Sin after dark, and that is putting it politely

You sound like a local lad I might know. Tell us then- what are the plans for this hulk that is tied up way down in Oak Ridge?

IMG_3764.jpg

What's the dream here?

I thought the shark dive was going to be a real "0" but it was sort of fun; some of which was probably due to the fact that it was given as a freeby to sweeten our deal at the resort we stayed at. I can't get the hang of getting my photos included in any post, maybe some of you "old pros" could help me out with that. I'm thinking it has something to do with my being a "Mac" person. However, if you click on the 64 by the word photos under my screen name, you will see photos from Roatan including one from the shark dive.

Dive safe, BK

Just for information, the dolphin encounters and dives are with captive dolphins, which encourages the internation dolphin trade. It is quite controversial these days... I'm not trying to bash anyone who decides (or has decided to do it); I'm just trying to inform. Hey I did it while I was there, and shortly after returning, I saw a few documentaries on this subject. I now regret having done it...

Anyways, to each his/her own! :coffee: I just wanted to throw this in so people can make their own educated decision about this!:coffee:

Codman, the dolphins are not captive. Only a percentage (of which I don't remember) of their food is supplied by AKR. They are free to hunt for themselves and they do. During the dive encounter they are in the open ocean and can come and go as they wish. Most hang around but a few have never come back.

Noob, Hope you have a great adventure. I will endorse the dolphin encounter/snorkel as well....think it was about $80 when I did it but I understand it has gone up closer to $100. The ziplining is fun and I would also recommend spending some time in the West End.

Enjoy!

Codman, the dolphins are not captive. Only a percentage (of which I don't remember) of their food is supplied by AKR. They are free to hunt for themselves and they do. During the dive encounter they are in the open ocean and can come and go as they wish. Most hang around but a few have never come back.

I think if you do a search on this forum, you will find a few threads on this topic. Not all of the the dolphins are let out at any time, and with some of their pod held, they will come back.

All of the dolphins at AKR were born in captivity, so there aren't any truly wild dolphins there. They do get all of their food in their pens. But its only the best of the best, Of all of the fish they bring in every day, only the top 20% goes for the dolphins. The rest is used to chum the water off the dive boats every day. I always found it amazing how many more fish were at the exit point of the dives. The reason was because the boat captain was feeding them while we were out with the DM.

Thanks for all the replies folks... keep 'em coming!
Some more restaurant recco's would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Excerpting this part...
They do get all of their food in their pens. But its only the best of the best, Of all of the fish they bring in every day, only the top 20% goes for the dolphins. The rest is used to chum the water off the dive boats every day. I always found it amazing how many more fish were at the exit point of the dives. The reason was because the boat captain was feeding them while we were out with the DM.
Wow?! :nervous: I've never heard that one before. Lots of cudas and triggers at the boat when you get back...? :confused:

When I scuba dived with a AKR dolphin one years back, it was just one. He seemed well trained at the dock but once we loaded onto the boat and he was set free to follow, he did take off on his on at times.

Do Deep Ted's Bar at BIBR Thursday night for the Crab races and Bar-B-Q the proceeds go to the schools!
600__MG_9105_BIBR_07_at_night_pig_roast.jpg

480__MG_8564_Thursday_night_pig_roast_BIBR_08.jpg

Do Deep Ted's Bar at BIBR Thursday night for the Crab races and Bar-B-Q the proceeds go to the schools!
Bar-B-Qued what...?! :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom