Finally, DIY DPV sneak peak...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did.

Mike D

Fishlips_1:
Right on,
Looks great! Who suggested two motors? That sounds like a much better idea.
That way you wouldn't be in the prop wash. Not to sound like I'm cutting on your project, it looks awesome!! Let know how it works.
Good Luck,
Lips

I once looked into this and found costruction cost to exceed purchase (for my purpose) I don't expect to go deeper than 90-100 ft nor do i intend to use it as a life support item(just transpertation out to and back on beach dives)NO CAVING OR WRECKS on cheaper dpv's or experimentals .
But your homebuilt looks good(My purchased dpv is a converted trolling motor as well,not sure about seals but they claimed it to be good for 125'deep)So your definitly working in the right direction

Have you considered Automotive DC motors? I am thinking about a small 4 cylinder starter motor. I know they have a lot of torque but they are not meant for continuous use either. But they should be cheap enough to experiment with. another option is a geared down electric fan motor. Another option is to use an AC motor with a DC-to-AC inverter. Easy to vary the speed with this setup. I would lov eto experiment to just have to put it in the Queue.
Russ

Fishlips_1:
What is the make/model of your dpv? How much did it cost?

Lips
The Brand is "Cayman" Model Is "Tyger ray"I bought it on E-Bay online.Was brand new in factory sealed box(West Marine store Overstock) 48#thrust 60 min. run time
All that is needed to do to this DPV is to seal area insde where wire to magnetic swich goes through ,tighten and seal where wiring goes to motor (All above sealed with silicone caulking),grease O-Ring on access panel with silicone gel,and replace Washer/nut on prop shaft with good quality stainless steel hardware.(Ive been told these model scooters can be used at depths 175'+ with these mods)but I only bought mine as transportation at beach dives (out & back)
Hope this helps Brian
ps: also advisable to put 2# or so weight inside to keep neutral
It was an auction item that ended to be 220-230 USD+35 S&H (I know that may seem like a good bit but consider this "In one day it's ready to go"

willydiver:
Finally getting close to completion on my DPV. It's not the prettiest beast by any means, but it's a first shot at a prototype. I've still got to roll a piece of aluminum sheet for a prop shroud. The hose clamp that secures the motor in place and the toggle switch aren't shown. Toggle operates a relay that closes the circuit on two 12V12ampHour SLA batteries. I rebuilt the seals on the trolling motor. It's a 52# thrust. Used acrylic for the lid so I could detect any leaks. Body is made of 6" Scd.40 PVC. The handle was shaped out of 1" thick PVC sheet. There are definitely some weak points on this design, but this is a first iteration.

WD
What did you do to re-build the seals on the trolling motor? My buddy and I have decided to take on the project.

The seals of all trolling motors (mine were no exception) have to be reworked. Trolling motors are only intended withsatnd about 3-5 ft of water pressure. I had to disassemble the motors, remachine the bearing seats to accept a new bearing and urethane shaft seals.
I've taken my "Silver bullet" to 100 ft.

hi mike... just wondering how you seal ur trolling motor to take depth until 100ft.can you descripe step by step... i plan to DIY one unit.but stuck at how to proper seal the trolling motor. or do you have any other idea to replace with trollling motor???

thanks

to seal DIY thruster for DPV : this article i get it from homebuilt ROV pages.

http://aquaticus.info/research.html#thrusters

Thrusters
The main problem in thruster design is how to isolate engine from water. There are two popular solutions:
simple, using o-rings. Additionally you must fill the engine housing with oil to compensate pressure. This is good solution for low pressure (and depth).
magnetic coupling, the best and more complicated. The engine is perfectly isolated from water because it is connected to the propeller using magnetic coupler.
Below you have schematic view how it works

do you think it will work for DPV.????????? .. isolate the motor from water and reduce the % of leaking/flood...:wink: :wink:

here: how about this motor for DIY DPV ???

24 volt, 600 watt, 3300 RPM Permanent Magnet Ventilated Motor, OEM for E-10 Diamond Back & Tiger Shark Rad2GO Scooters, ideal for bicycle and robotic projects, includes 12 tooth sprocket for 1/4" pitch #25 chain

Dimensions: 5-1/2" long by 4-3/8" diameter with 12 mm (.472)diameter shaft, 1.050" long

Weight: 10 pounds

Price: $ 89.95
Weight: lb. 10.00
Items in the cart: 0

web page : http://www.evparts.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=519&product_id=3484

what do u all think??? suitable for DIY DPV project.. other option from trolling motor!!

:05: :05:

You know, I've never even THOUGHT of doing something like this but the little DIY boy inside me really wants to try.

Hilk - that motor looks like it should do the trick, but i'm no expert.

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom