Finally, DIY DPV sneak peak...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The seal sounds Ok, based on your description.
The tension spring adds drag but maintains a positive seal against the shaft. water preseeure will maintain lateral contact.
Add grease and you're away to the races.
I have no personal experience with MinKota though.
I used Shakespear thrusters in my project and that was 15 years ago.

I also heard (this is unconfirmed how ever) that Perry Submersibles in Florida also uses the Minkota thrusters.

Mike D

willydiver:
Finally getting close to completion on my DPV. It's not the prettiest beast by any means, but it's a first shot at a prototype. I've still got to roll a piece of aluminum sheet for a prop shroud. The hose clamp that secures the motor in place and the toggle switch aren't shown. Toggle operates a relay that closes the circuit on two 12V12ampHour SLA batteries. I rebuilt the seals on the trolling motor. It's a 52# thrust. Used acrylic for the lid so I could detect any leaks. Body is made of 6" Scd.40 PVC. The handle was shaped out of 1" thick PVC sheet. There are definitely some weak points on this design, but this is a first iteration.

WD
Hey, where did you get those spring clasps that hold the front plate on. They look similar to some I got long a go from AquaVideo but better. I could use some like those for modifications to my Tekna DPV. N

I wish the attached images were still here

Holy thread Resurrection, Batman! :D

But yeah, I wish the OP would re-link the original photos...

Back
Top Bottom