DPV Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetdriver69

Registered
Reaction score
New to the website but have a few questions for the experts on the site.

I fly for a wealthy family on a private jet that frequents many great diving spots on their many vacations.

Anyway, after spending a week in Bora Bora and doing some great snorkeling, I have want to build a DPV.

I’m thinking of the twin motor plans from Midwest Engineering but using 1/2 inch white acrylic plastic for the frame and 1/4 inch for the skins instead of wood and fiberglass.

My biggest limitation is that the DPV must fit in a standard suitcase cushioned by foam inserts.

Thinking of the saltwater Whitesnake 24 lb thrust trolling motors from Walmart for $133 each and the MightMax ML35 amp hour AGM battery for $67.

I have looked into single motor PVC plans but they won’t fit in a standard suitcase.

Although certified, I rarely dive due to the pressurization issues from flying at 45000 ft or higher and at cabin altitudes of 5-6000 ft for 10+ hours.

I know a 35 amp battery won’t power 2 motors at full power for 60 minutes but I’m hoping for 60-90 minutes at intermittent use.

I weigh 190 lbs so would 48 lbs total thrust be sufficient to propel me at a decent submerged rate.

I have built cars, kit airplanes and boats so the build process would not be a problem.

Thanks for any advise.

Buy a used mako. Start from there.

I know plenty of better trolling motors that will flood in the 2 feet of water they are designed to operate in. I would not expect them to live with the much higher pressures of diving. Plenty of other issues as well.

This will cost more and not work as well as a real DPV. When done it will be landfill material where a real DPV will be sold.

You can buy a working mako with good batteries for $500. You can buy a dead one without batteries for even less. Start with that platform. It'll be more betta

What are the dimensions of the mako? It would need to fit in a big suitcase for easy traveling.

Where is the best place to source a good used one?

Would rather buy a dead one and replace the battery.

Thanks for the advice, no use reinventing the wheel.

Right out of the box I bet it would fit my luggage.

I’ve been looking and haven’t seen a decent Mako for much less than a grand.

Do they come up for sale often?

A friend of mine bought one with bad batteries for $350 a few months ago. Post on CDF that you're looking for one. I bet there will be some available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom