Finally, DIY DPV sneak peak...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walked up on a suitable shroud for the scooter's prop at the local Home Depot. Found a 10" irrigation box that had a nice taper to it that resembles a kort nozzle. With a little trimming, it worked suprisingly well. Still have to fasten it with aluminum braces. It's coming together.

WD

Outstanding. Kinda looks like a flower pot with the bottom cut out LOL.
Don't know if you've ever heard of Red Green. (Canadian comedy ) He's kind of a back woods handy-man, DIYer. His common saying is "The only two places you need to shop are Canadian Tire (combination auto parts/sporting goods/harware store) and Home Depot. If They don't have it , You Don't Need it!" LOL

Seriously it looks great.

Mike

willydiver:
Walked up on a suitable shroud for the scooter's prop at the local Home Depot. Found a 10" irrigation box that had a nice taper to it that resembles a kort nozzle. With a little trimming, it worked suprisingly well. Still have to fasten it with aluminum braces. It's coming together.

WD

MD, that's a great compliment! Thanks. The use of "off-the-shelf" components was kind of a goal for this project. Sounds like Red Green has a great philosophy. I spend so much time in Home Depot, I kick myself for not buying stock when they opened their first store.

I actually had been hunting for the "perfect" flower pot or bucket for this purpose for a while and just happened to look in the right direction and found the meter box solution. This thing is 3/16" thick ABS so it's pretty rigid and tough. Luckily it fits the motor prop just right.

I've just got to bracket the shroud and wire the batteries for a maiden voyage. Only thing is, it's heavy on land at 45#. I was hoping to come in lighter than the standard scooter models. Due to the stock motor seals, I probably won't be able to push the depth too hard. Mark II will have to have improved seals.

WD

willydiver:
I've just got to bracket the shroud and wire the batteries for a maiden voyage. Only thing is, it's heavy on land at 45#.
WD

Don't feel bad the silver bullet with two batteries is 75 lbs.
But a 2lb weight makes it neutral.

Quotes from Red Green : "If the gilrs don't find you handsome, then at least they should find you handy", "Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together", "Don't forget the handyman's secret weapon, Duct Tape, and never leave home without it"!

Mike D

mddolson:
Quotes from Red Green : "If the gilrs don't find you handsome, then at least they should find you handy", "Keep your stick on the ice, we're all in this together", "Don't forget the handyman's secret weapon, Duct Tape, and never leave home without it"!

Mike D

Don't forget the Possum Lodge motto:

"Quando omni flunkus moritati."

When all else fails, play dead.

http://www.redgreen.com/

Spoken like a True DIYer.
The Mark I isn't even wet yet and you've got improvements planned for the Mark II.

Ah, I can see it now, you'll be 85 years old, in a wheel chairs but still diving, cause you've just finished the latest improvements on the Mk MCXXIV. Ah yes, this ones got lithium regenerative batteries, that are water cooled so they recharge continuously, and the hull's been refinished with boundry layer grooves so she slipps through the water like a dolphin.

Power is up 75%, efficency has improved 87%, speed is millitary classified just like the XRS-71 black bird.

Yep this baby should rip the tanks right off your back.

LOL

Hope the maiden voyage is some what better than the"Bullet's was.
Freakin thing leaked like sieve.

regards

MIke D

willydiver:
I've just got to bracket the shroud and wire the batteries for a maiden voyage. Only thing is, it's heavy on land at 45#. I was hoping to come in lighter than the standard scooter models. Due to the stock motor seals, I probably won't be able to push the depth too hard. Mark II will have to have improved seals.

WD

Man that's great. Hmmmmmm... just look at all the possibilities. Boundary layer grooves to decrease the cohesive forces. I could knurl the cannister in the lathe to simulate shark skin.......
Yep, I'll be the crotchity old guy in the wetsuit with the Depends undergarment adapter, zipping by all the young bucks taking notes on how to make it "better". My fiance is going to put me on project restriction one of these days!

This is great! LOL!
WD

This is too much fun. LOL!

Right on,
Looks great! Who suggested two motors? That sounds like a much better idea.
That way you wouldn't be in the prop wash. Not to sound like I'm cutting on your project, it looks awesome!! Let know how it works.
Good Luck,
Lips

Back
Top Bottom