Finally, DIY DPV sneak peak...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about the link.
TAM Dive Peterborough closed last December

I'll dig up some pics of my scooter for you.

Mike D

mddolson:
Sorry about the link.
TAM Dive Peterborough closed last December

I'll dig up some pics of my scooter for you.

Mike D

As promissed here's my scooter.
The cover (not shown) is just a piece of the pipe wall straightened slightly to fit evenly on the outside of the body. The gasket is cut from a sheet of 1/4 inch silicone foam rubber. The cover is secured by two large hose clamps. Not rocket science but it works.

My switch is a DC rated angle grinder trigger switch actuated by an Ikelite camera control lever.

The inside frame work is 1/2" thick plywood , unfortunately it has to be dis-assembled to be removed. Hind sight being 20-20 an end opening like Willy's would have made this easier.

mddolson:
As promissed here's my scooter.
The cover (not shown) is just a piece of the pipe wall straightened slightly to fit evenly on the outside of the body. The gasket is cut from a sheet of 1/4 inch silicone foam rubber. The cover is secured by two large hose clamps. Not rocket science but it works.

My switch is a DC rated angle grinder trigger switch actuated by an Ikelite camera control lever.

The trolling motors were prewired for two speeds.
I used two Ikelite switch boots on toggle switches to turn main power on/off and to set speed for hi or lo.

The lever mechanism was too stiff for the Trigger switch to shut off automatically.
So I rigged a simple return spring to ensure the unit shuts off when the switch lever is released. KISS approach worked for me.

Mike D

My power source is two 12 Volt sealed lead acid Gates (now Hawker Energy) 25 Ahr batteries.

Mike D

Mike,

That is a seriously intimidating DPV! Others divers must flee when you come along "flying" that machine. I am really impressed by what other divers are building in the DPV department. It gives me a lot of inspiration to be creative rather than build another Gavin clone. Leave that to the professionals... (and those that can actually get hold of Mako parts!).

What depth have you taken your DPV to? Again, I am wondering about the prop seals on the trolling motors.

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Andrew

Watch out for the Silver Bullet! Mike, that DPV is sweet. Great welding on the Al, by the way. With two of these 54# motors, you could run with the tuna. I like the handle setup, too. Nice work!

WD

ShoalDiverSA:
Mike,

What depth have you taken your DPV to? Again, I am wondering about the prop seals on the trolling motors.

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

Andrew

The seals of all trolling motors (mine were no exception) have to be reworked. Trolling motors are only intended withsatnd about 3-5 ft of water pressure. I had to disassemble the motors, remachine the bearing seats to accept a new bearing and urethane shaft seals.
I've taken my "Silver bullet" to 100 ft.

I need new motors. My little thrusters are only 12 lbs each.
Now a couple of 25 or 50's and we'd be jammin. LOL

Mike D

Mike, do you have a source for the urethane seals? I had a rough time just finding the original equipment replacements for this motor.

Thanks,
Will

Urethane shaft seals.
MMmmm... long time, short memory,
I'll have to look around, check my notes
I haven't worked on the scooter in 8 or 10 years.
I'm in Ontario Canada so I don't know if I can help.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom