FINALLY... back in the water / ATX50 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whew, it seems like it's been forever since I broke my rib... finally got back in the water today. Besides loosing my weightbelt at about 40' and having to grab onto my dive buddy all went pretty smooth. AND I GOT TO USE MY NEW SETUP... ATX50/40octo combo.

The ATX 50 is a damn nice unit. I really was impressed. We only dove to about 50' so it's tough to say just how well it breathes at depth, but it worked flawlessly and VERY SMOOTH, had a freeflow issue at the surface after the dive, just a flip of the lever stopped that... water was about 50 degrees. One thing though, I'm sort of bummed on the fact that Apeks ditched the wide exhaust ports as there is a "little" more bubble interference than with the previous TX models when in an upright position. Ohh ya, I forgot to test out the octo, I was having too much fun... dohh..

All in all, it's one of the best buys out there in my opinion.

stay tuned for a deep dive report next week... :D

Glad to hear you're healing up.

Thanks for the report.
I didn't know about the smaller exhaust ports.

Hey..... "test out" your octo before your deep dive next weekend! :wink:

Not sure what you consider deep, but the ATX 50 is fine at 370ffw. The one thing I really disliked about the TX 50 was the exhaust T kept coming off when I was diving high flow caves. Now that problem is solved with the new "improved" second stage.

interesting... I've never dived the TX50,,, I had been borrowing a TX100 for about 3 months on and off and on and off (that particular friend is so happy I finally bought my own setup) but yes there is NO WAY for the exhaust port to come off now.

The interference is very minimal compared to some other setups I've used, but when in a vertical position it is considerably more interference than the previous TX models.

NICE TO KNOW the ATX can handle 370'... WOW!! Deep to me is anything over 100' , real deep is past the 150' mark, as my usual dives are around 40-50'... and I've never had good equipment to even consider going deeper in the past.

Is it FRIDAY yet??? can't wait for the weekend...

:D

I will be purchasing a TransPac II this week before my weekend dives as well.... Ohhh so sweet (look for my post on that in the BC forum if you have any experience with the TPII)

Hi Wheezy,
Thanx for the valuable input. I've been seeking info regarding the exhaust T for months. So, Apeks did sacrifice some bubble interference for size...I was hoping they somehow retained that feature without the big "windswept T"...guess not.
Does the ATX50 second stage feel appreciably lighter and more comfortable than the TX 100 you were borrowing? What other differences/improvements could you appreciate? Think you made the right/best choice (for you)? Thanx again for keeping us posted! :snorkel:

Well, although the actuall bubble interference was "SLIGHTLY" more (and only noticable when in a verticle position)... the vibration was less... and it seems (and I know this will sound kinda strange) that the bubbles were somehow smaller like the thing has a diffuser or something????

The weight is WAY less and the size it a TAD bit smaller.

I love the unit thus far and think I made the best choice for me. For the money I don't think that there is a setup that competes.

As far as differences from the TX line and ATX line... it's really only the 2nd stage ... breathing performance was on par with all apeks rigs.

I still want to try the 200 though.... I went with the ATX50 mainly for cold water and environmental seal (SAND), which is all I really dive minus the OCASSIONAL trip to mex.

I like the APEKS line, I like the ScubaPro Line - It's a coin toss if you ask me...

I dive APEKS ATX 50, TX50, TX 100, ATX 200, Scubapro MK20 600, and added a MK25 s600 yesterday. I like the ATX 2nd stages best. The MK 20 1st stage is hard to beat, but I'm enjoying the ATX 50.
I honestly can't tell the breathing between most of these regs. I trust the Apeks more at depth, but that's just me.

Dive Sherpa:

Do you notice ANY difference with the ATX200???

Specifically in COLD water???

thanks...

I thought I did, but not sure now. It may have been mental. I love the 200 in the cold as much as in the heat. It seems superior in memory, but we'll find out soon if I still think that way.

wheezy,

on 4/4 you said, "Warranty smorenty.... Mark 25 / S600 aint gonna need not stinking warranty...."

on 4/7 you said you were loving your new ATX50/40octo combo.

between these two setups, which do you recommend? i have narrowed it down to these two.

thanks,
s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom